Other Amps

I’d like some advice on amps. Just doing research.

I don't have any issues with the digital effects on my amp. I tried playing through some little modelling amp a fellow had at a gathering I was invited to awhile back and nothing I could do would produce a decent sound, let alone use any of the effects. I just went to my car and dug out my stack - thankfully I'd brought it along. In short, the effects are well done and I appreciate the varieties within each setting, such as different reverbs, chorus & delay which have combos with others as well.

FWIW, I mostly use voice 7 & 8, Deluxe and Twin with my Super Chet, Super Axe and Gibson CG for a clean, warm tone. There's lots of other voices that I'm sure can give you the tone you liked in the video's intro you posted. As is always the case though, you have play your guitar through a given amp to see if that's the one for you.

Princeton Reverbs are super great. I prefer the Blues Jr over the AC15, especially a Jr with some "BillM" mods.

Backstairs are not built very well. The Traynors are really nice!

Find yourself a silverface Vibro-Champ or Bronco amp from the 70s. The Bronco was a Vibro-Champ made for a guitar-amp set and can usually be obtained at a bargain. Add a decent reverb amp and you have a great low-power (5W) setup.

The AC4TV is my favorite amp for low-volume playing. I have the 1x10 combo, which I upgraded with a Weber Alnico Silver Bell 10" speaker. You're not going to piss off any neighbors with this on the 1/4 or 1 watt modes. 4 watt mode might get some people knocking on your door.

Tone-wise it's really good, and reminds me of my Silvertone clone. Which means it's not really clean. I guess 4 watt mode with the volume below half is pretty clean. The amp really shines for crunchy and compressed bluesy sounds. The thing was made to distort and it does classic rock really well.

Find yourself a silverface Vibro-Champ or Bronco amp from the 70s. The Bronco was a Vibro-Champ made for a guitar-amp set and can usually be obtained at a bargain. Add a decent reverb amp and you have a great low-power (5W) setup.

– Don Birchett

I'm curious Don, what would one of those set you back?

I end up with this instead of the Yamaha THR5/10. Simple and cheaper.

Vintage47amps.com has several 5 watt models. These are repros and inspired by old Valco amps. All hand built and hand wired. Pure old school tone. The Mini is around $700 shipped to Cananda.

5 Watts is still way too loud for most homes.

Yes, 5w is loud and as my pal Powdog says, those supro style amps need to be played loud to hear what they can do. He just sent me a Cave Valley version of the Spectator. Love it, it hollers. Split signal between two amps recently and it held up well, added some nice grainy breakup alongside a cleaner amp

Or do the wasp in a jam jar thing with a Smokey ciggie pack amp. Do they still make those?

I know budget is a concern, but I went through this last year. The solution? A super reverb 4x10. Sounds crazy, right? I kept going smaller and smaller, looking for an amp I could turn up enough to sound good without disturbing the world. Now, a super reverb sounds amazing cranked, but it has a beauuuutiful clean tone at much lower volumes. Very full. Very warm. People are generally surprised when they hear it, how nice it is at low volume. I play mine in the house with the wife upstairs, she has not complained once....and she gets cranky when the TV is too loud.

Something to consider trying, anyhow. I liked the Fender a mustang modeling amp as well, it sounds good at low volumes.

I'm curious Don, what would one of those set you back?

– Windsordave

I checked eBay and found several BIN in the $550-700 range. There were a couple of Broncos in the same range. Prices have gone up.

I checked eBay and found several BIN in the $550-700 range. There were a couple of Broncos in the same range. Prices have gone up.

– Don Birchett

Thanks Don. In your opinion, would spending that much for one of these and then spending the extra for the mods discussed be worth it? I ask as I'm a huge fan of the early, pre-MV SF's and generally believe they're far superior to their reissue counterparts.

I realize these amps haven't been reissued whereas the Princeton has and that amp in particular baffles me when it comes to its price, for what it is.

Thank you Gretschadelphia. Sounds very interesting but it is definitely out of my budget. Sadly $1000 is probably too much as well. The fender princeton seems very nice but it is over $1300 in Canada.

Windsordave, I'm actually really ecstatic about the Fender Super Champ X2 stack. It is under $1000 brand new. Like around $670.

I've been finding out about a lot of stuff but some of it is unavailable. Like I just found out about the Vox AC4 short stack. A pathfinder with an extension 1x12 cab with a Celestion.

That thing looks pretty cool but I think Vox only made a limited run of them. They are no longer being made. That was 5 years ago.

I think no matter what, I will eventually try to get a Vox AC10 but I think for now I'm gonna aim for that Super Champ X2. It's kind of a hard decision. The vox is a bit cheaper, but the fender has a bunch of models on it.

– CountryGent2011

I've got one of those! looks sweet, sounds great, but not the real deal, my 1963 AC30 tb wipes the floor for tone. As you can see I am a Vox man, but that's down to accident, I actually believe Fender or Mesa make the best amps for Gretsches, and Roland JC120 for Ricky twelves strings.

May I suggest you play a top Gretsch through a Gretsch Executive or any of the Traynors and see if they don't make your list of best amps for Gretsch guitars. If by 'best' you mean anything other than very clean - distortion and breaking up - then I'm not in the conversation as don't play anything but clean. I have no use for anything but a warm, clean, rich tone.

You're the first person I've read here that's ever said Mesa pairs well with a Gretsch. Fender and Vox also get my vote for good choices for Gretsches.

Register Sign in to join the conversation