Other Amps

I was about to give up

Check your bias. Not a political statement. An amp must do. I feared doing it myself but glad I did.

Got vintage tubes put in a DRRI. It had a certain sound but never really bonded with it as a main amp. Changed speaker. No meaningful diff.

Always though adjusting bias was best left to techs and that it would have been set properly when tubes were done. But prior to putting it up on Reverb I stuck a screwdriver in there and found it had been dialed all the way cold. All The Way. It read 5.5 on the multimeter.

I dialed it up to where both power tubes were about 23-24 and it sounds great. So simple (once i researched how to do and got a little multimeter adapter on Amazon) to do and such a diff.

Way bigger diff than speaker swap.

Happy and wiser.

Sometimes you're better off doing things yourself, eh?

Glad you got it figured out before giving up on a perfectly good amp.

Something to keep in mind.

You said "Got vintage tubes put in a DRRI".Do you mean you had a tech install the tubes? If so,get a new tech.

Way to go Jack, you took the bull by the horns, and figured it out! Tube biasing is a great skill to have.

There's a large sweep where things sound good but yea if it's totally biased cold it's going to sound like crap. My favorite speaker for a Deluxe Reverb personally is a Jenson C12N (A newly re-coned vintage one specifically)

As for my favorite 6V6 tube. I snatched up a pile of these Italian coke bottle Fivres that I like a lot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6V...

Check your bias. Not a political statement. An amp must do. I feared doing it myself but glad I did.

Got vintage tubes put in a DRRI. It had a certain sound but never really bonded with it as a main amp. Changed speaker. No meaningful diff.

Always though adjusting bias was best left to techs and that it would have been set properly when tubes were done. But prior to putting it up on Reverb I stuck a screwdriver in there and found it had been dialed all the way cold. All The Way. It read 5.5 on the multimeter.

I dialed it up to where both power tubes were about 23-24 and it sounds great. So simple (once i researched how to do and got a little multimeter adapter on Amazon) to do and such a diff.

Way bigger diff than speaker swap.

Happy and wiser.

– Jack Skellington

May I ask whether it was a 65 DRRI or the 68 ?

Register Sign in to join the conversation