Other Amps

I want to build an amp, Princeton Reverb type

Just looking for some insight on this topic, I'm thinking I want to take a shot at constructing an amp. I've had experience in repairing my own personal amps and I need a project. Something to keep me busy and my mind working. A Princeton seems to be an amp that will cover what I need. I know I could just purchase a used one or perhaps a new one but where is the fun in that. Far to easy, I want to make things hard on myself. So does anyone have any experience with any of the Princeton Reverb kits out there and could offer any suggestions on what kit worked the best for them, perhaps what I should look for etc?

I’ve built a bunch of PRs. One of my favorite amps. If you want to make it hard on yourself (more fun), build one from scratch. Everything you need is available from suppliers like Mojo or Tubesandmore.com.

There is a lot of documentation available for the PR. Schematics, modifications, problem solving. I built this one using a DR output transformer and switchable fixed/cathode bias. There’s a 12” Jensen C12N in there also, which I highly recommend. A nice mix of cleans and hair.

You’ll have to get the Drip Switch from Mel.

From scratch eh? Well that will for sure keep me up at night. I haven't been on the web actively looking for schematics and builds. I'm being lazy and figured ask here first and see what people say.

What's a Drip Switch? Is that something that Mel off the GDP makes for Princeton amps?

Yea, Mel Waldorf makes these. Plugs into the footswitch on the back of your amp and gives you more control over the amount of reverb. Can be used with combo amps or stand alone reverb units.

The Lawrenceville built by Josh, it literally kills.

The Allen Sweet Spot or Brown Sugar might be good options.

A PR type amp is jumping into the deep end right away. You don't get a lot of room to work, and debugging is hence not simple. But a great great platform!!

The Lawrenceville built by Josh, it literally kills.

– Curt Wilson

Yup. My JB made BJr is a killer, too.

The kit that Stewmac has on sale comes with a full set of assembly instructions which are well worth a read.

Yup. My JB made BJr is a killer, too.

– NJBob

I would think it would be sufficient if you could set them to "stun."

JB, welcome to my world...

– Curt Wilson

Yes! You get to work in sealed hollow body guitars!!

Remember when I said building the L-Ville was like playing chess in 3-D?

A PR type amp is jumping into the deep end right away. You don't get a lot of room to work, and debugging is hence not simple. But a great great platform!!

– JBGretschGuy

Hey go big or go home, I don't pussy foot around lol, I'd like to have one of these amps in the arsenal. I think it will be a go to amp for the gigs that I play. I don't have huge rooms and everyone says I'm to loud so I think this is the ticket.

I use a stand alone reverb,dont care for the onboard.The first Princeton I built back in the '90's, I left out the reverb section.I then built a 6G2,Brown face Princeton.Liked it much better.The pic in my avatar is my latest,a 6G2 with 6BQ5's and a 15 in spkr.The first 2 I built my sons "claimed" lol,I told them this one they will have to wait til I die and then fight over it.

Hey go big or go home, I don't pussy foot around lol, I'd like to have one of these amps in the arsenal. I think it will be a go to amp for the gigs that I play. I don't have huge rooms and everyone says I'm to loud so I think this is the ticket.

– Gretsch6123

Well you could be a brain surgeon without going to medical school, but you probably wouldn't be a very good one.

Just go slow, follow proper layout and lead dress techniques. Ask for help when you need it. Keep your grid wires short and cross signal wires perpendicular to plate wires. There are many techniques and tricks you learn over the years that help you to build a quiet, stable, stellar sounding amp. I'm happy to help as much as I can from afar.

The most useful mod to a PR in my experience is a 25K pot in the unused Ground switch hole to replace the 6.8K fixed midrange resistor on the back of the bass pot.

Speaking of PRs, of which I want another one (I sold mine, regret), I came across this one recently and started drooling..... I think the mids and size of the 12" speaker would compliment the scooped tonestack of the PR nicely...

PR Knotty Pine w/Celestion 12" Cream Alnico https://reverb.com/item/161...

...altho those Allens, with their "Raw Control"... very nice feature to have... I think you can replace the mids resistor in a PR with a pot (I forget the value) and that would give you a "Raw Control"...

Speaking of PRs, of which I want another one (I sold mine, regret), I came across this one recently and started drooling..... I think the mids and size of the 12" speaker would compliment the scooped tonestack of the PR nicely...

PR Knotty Pine w/Celestion 12" Cream Alnico https://reverb.com/item/161...

...altho those Allens, with their "Raw Control"... very nice feature to have... I think you can replace the mids resistor in a PR with a pot (I forget the value) and that would give you a "Raw Control"...

– ruger9

25K pot. (stock Blackface midsized controls are 10K, but they don't have a lot of range. And do a push pull switch if you want the "Raw" option.

Register Sign in to join the conversation