Other Amps

I want an amp

So, I want an amp. Can of worms... The problem. Versatility. Like most,I’m sure, I have a wide and varied palette of musical tastes. I enjoy playing/butchering bluesy over driven Rich Robinson/ Marc Ford type stuff right on into clean Herschel Yatovitz/ James Wilsey space, and occasionally straying into some rockabilly. I have been playing through a Yamaha THR10c for the last few years, and it is a pretty awesome piece of kit. If you’ve never tried one, you should. What it doesn’t do is get loud. Not blow my windows out loud, just ‘feel it inside me’ 10 to 15 watt, play it at home kinda loud. I tend to reach for my 6120GA most of the time, I’ll switch it up with my 5120, Strat, or Teles.

I have test driven several amps, but never get to open them in the store to really get a feel for them when pushed. What I’m after is something that sounds thick and can cover the cleans and get dirty.

My budget is in the mass produced segment of the market not the boutique side. So, a grand in USD is about as far as I can go.

I would really appreciate some input.

Fender Blues Jr? It seems to fit your description with the mass produced price point. It can take pedals well supposedly (I’ve never owned one, just played one a few times).

10-15 watt is too loud for home use. I have a BJ, I can't get past 3 without my neighbours knocking on my door.

I recently bought a Vox AC4C1-12. It's 4 watts, 12 inch speaker and light as hell. Chimey, good tones at reasonable level, clean to OD in a twist of a knob.

In tube amps, check out Mesa Transatlantic 15, Vox AC10 or 15, Fender Deluxe Reverb (22 watts) and Blues Jr. are all great choices. Look for an vintage Ampeg Jet. Vintage 47 is another possibility. As you're in the Great White North, Traynors are easy to find. There are a lot of vintage amps you could consider, as well as new.

There are many solid state amps that could work for you. Vox has new and older models, Fender has a few, too. Many have amp modeling and various FX, so you might not need pedals at first, if at all. The one drawback to built in FX is the lack of adjustment a pedal will give you. On all amps, new and used, you might want to upgrade the speaker.

As Jetbunny said, 15 watts might be too much for your circumstances. 15 watts is enough to gig with (just mike it for more) but can be a lot at home. Even 1 watt could annoy the neighbors or invite a visit from the gendarmes. There are easy ways of soundproofing a room if need be. Again, depends on your situation.

The best thing to do is to try as many amps as you can. All sizes, all types. You might not have your guitar with you and use one of the stores (there's always a Strat or an LP), the room acoustics will vary. Decide on tubes or solid state. Keep your ears and mind open.

Above all, enjoy the hunt.

A Princeton Reverb type would be my first choice .

Princeton Reverb with a Hall VVR power scaling circuit and a 12" C12N. Plenty cleans, plenty low volume hair.

You may want a low watt Tweed style amp. I guess that can mean a Tweed Champ but they are costly.

First idea, get a [used] powered speaker, or powered monitor. You can plug that Yamaha right into it [or not]. Any wattage you want from 100 to 1000, for so little you will laugh.

There is no output jack on that amp other than the headphones? Who desiged that? WTF.

Second idea, you live in the honeypot of vintage amps, especially old Traynors. There are not as many super deals anymore, but anything you could want. If you wait you will get an impossible deal.

What Junior Q Man said. Egnator Tweakers come in various power ratings and offer lots of tone shaping options.

Double post — apologies.

If you can, try the VHT Special 12/20RT. 12watts running 6V6 but you can dial it out to 3watts. Tube tremolo and tube reverb on a small package. Lots of cool features and a great sound

For home use, I always prefer my Champ. Plenty loud enough, for me, and my neighbors aren't that close. I also have a Pro Jr and Blues Jr and really cannot push them at home.

i love my Carvin Belair.

– BuddyHollywood

Get 'em while you can. Carvin is closing up shop.

I think it's a bit difficult to find a super versatile amp. But I'd rather have a more Fendery cleanish amp as a versatile amp: I think you can always make it sound more grumpy and dark then try clean up a murmering model.

Carvin is closing up shop.

Really! I did not know that. Shame. Good company.

First idea, get a [used] powered speaker, or powered monitor. You can plug that Yamaha right into it [or not]. Any wattage you want from 100 to 1000, for so little you will laugh.

There is no output jack on that amp other than the headphones? Who desiged that? WTF.

Second idea, you live in the honeypot of vintage amps, especially old Traynors. There are not as many super deals anymore, but anything you could want. If you wait you will get an impossible deal.

– hammerhands

If you like the Yamaha. This is the option that makes the most sense. Buy a small mixer as well and you could sing through it too or do small gigs.

Carvin is closing up shop.

Really! I did not know that. Shame. Good company.

– Proteus

No kidding. Been around since the 40's. Only the electronics/amps/PA side is closing. Kiesel will continue making guitars.

Quilter amps are now in stores in Canada. I’d still go for a used SF fender, but the small ones are in the $1500 CDN range these days. I’ve heard that the Quilters give a vintage tube amp a run for the money.

I second the Quilter. Picked up a micro pro-8 used for $750. Best money I ever spent. Will do jazz clean to heavy crunch, takes pedals beautifully, and you can dial it down to flea fart volumes that are usable. Plus weighs in at around 20+lbs.

Register Sign in to join the conversation