Other Amps

I hate my Deluxe Reverb

Post a photo of the inside of the chassis! I don't think it's working properly.

maybe a Deluxe Reverb just isn't the right amp for you. i don't really get along with them, and i generally get on well with most post-tweed Fender amps. one size does not fit all. i can't do a thing with a Marshall Bluesbreaker, either...they're great amps, but not for me. to me, the Deluxe is kind of the odd man out of the blackface/silverface Fender combo amps...they don't have the kind of big glossy 6L6/6V6 sound of a Princeton, Super, or Twin.

– macphisto

I can make Bluesbreakers sound great too!

Most of the wire is the same color? I'd bet that someone's been inside of that since it left the factory.

Most of the wire is the same color? I'd bet that someone's been inside of that since it left the factory.

– wabash slim

Probably.. I think I found Part of the problem.. The 5 filter caps under the doghouse are 33uf.. Shouldn't they be 16uf ?

Probably.. I think I found Part of the problem.. The 5 filter caps under the doghouse are 33uf.. Shouldn't they be 16uf ?

– ForwardLook77

You should be able to get a schematic from Fender, and see what value those capacitors are. I got a schematic from them for my 1980 Fender 75 Lead amp. I did a Google search for Consumer Relations and called them up. They were very helpful and emailed me a schematic for free.

No....those caps aren't the problem! Just post a photo of the inside & I'll tell you what's going on.

No....those caps aren't the problem! Just post a photo of the inside & I'll tell you what's going on.

– Billy Zoom

I posted a couple above the post about the the capacitors.

I can make Bluesbreakers sound great too!

– Billy Zoom

well, then they clearly work for you. by contrast, i get along wonderfully with Fender Princetons and the Marshall 1973x. it just seems to me that folks are generally insisting that there must be something wrong with the amp, while it seems more likely to me that a Deluxe just isn't what the OP is looking for given that his stated preference is for a JTM-45. maybe a Bassman would be more up his street considering its role in the evolution of Marshall design. my lack of education on amplifiers may be leading me astray depending on whether the Deluxe is part of Marshall's ancestry, though...no doubt Billy, or someone else who's also better-informed, will correct me.

could you say that one more time? i don't think everybody got it.

could you say that one more time? i don't think everybody got it.

– macphisto

Use the Delete button in the reply box, please.

Somebody was playing amp tech in there. All of those orange caps were installed for no good reason, but things that probably should have been replaced weren't. Also, those late Fender amps are a little dodgy to begin with. CBS just couldn't leave well enough alone. A good going through by a good tech would make a big difference.

Thanks. I'll figure out what to do with it I guess.. I do not know if I want to drop much money into it.. Oh well.

I'll go ahead and say it, "77, it's YOU."

The Deluxe Reverb is about the best and best-sounding amp around, silver or black.

Your "taste" changed!

Regardless whether you bought it recently or back in '81, you bought it for a reason, and loved it!

Remember?

Now you hate it, you changed, not the amp. DReverbs are awesome!

Admit it, you changed!

...!

I think it depends on the guitar. I don't play the SFDR that much but recently played the Mosrites thru the SFPR, SFDR and the clone Tweed Deluxe. The SFDR the high strings are ice picks in the ear and it is loud. It is the nature of Mosrites thru the SFDR because of the hot pickups. The SFPR it fared better and acceptable BUT the Tweed copy it was much more pleasant sounding. No reverb on that and I didn't have the Fender Reverb unit hooked up but had my delay/echo hooked up to it. I will hook up the Fender Reverb to it later. I do like the SFDR just it is loud but Billy did a Billy Zoom exclusive and put a low watt switch on it but that kicks in at 3 Vol and above. It isn't necessary at 1 or 2 anyway. So I see myself playing Mossrites thru the Tweed rather than the SF amps.

I had a late 70s one that was really stiff and brash sounding. The power tranny went and the tech had a (kind of ) replacement on hand. Although it had lower B+ voltage . The lower b+ tranny really made the amp sound great for some reason

Fenders were disigned to produce the maximum undistorted power. In general, voltages are too high, and output impedances are too low, which makes them loud & clean at the cost of warm tone & easy breakup.

That amp has been totally rewired and modded.

ALL

BETS

ARE

OFF.

Register Sign in to join the conversation