Other Amps

How Much Is My Amp Worth? Circa 1977 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Sorry no pics because I have it in storage. From the best of your knowledge from my description please guess the value. Three knobs were replaced by non Fender knobs on the non-Reverb channel but not Fender knobs, some odd grey knobs. It came that way. Bought it from some college kid 20 years ago. Had Billy Zoom work on it. He had to replace the transformer but not sure which one. I think Output but not positive. Non original speaker.

I don't play it much. I prefer my 1971 Princeton Reverb so I am considering selling it. I kept it all these years because it is a vintage Fender DR after all and Billy was kind enough to autograph it. Although not 100% original I am just thinking over time it should go up in price. I like the Billy Zoom autograph so that is part of the reason I prefer to keep it but I don't use it.

Thanks

Would really need pix and better info, ie which transformer was replaced what the replacement speaker is, etc.. Cool about the BZ autograph.

Originality and operation condition are everything. These aren't rare but clean ones are getting harder to find. Many players are finding recent ones just as good to drag thru the clubs and bars. I wouldn't hold on to something just because of what it might be worth later -- keep if you like it. What goes up can come down.

Would really need pix and better info, ie which transformer was replaced what the replacement speaker is, etc.. Cool about the BZ autograph.

Originality and operation condition are everything. These aren't rare but clean ones are getting harder to find. Many players are finding recent ones just as good to drag thru the clubs and bars. I wouldn't hold on to something just because of what it might be worth later -- keep if you like it. What goes up can come down.

– DCBirdMan

True, I am thinking I should sell it. I'll post a pic later. It's a lot louder than I need. The PR I need is perfect for me. I also have a Tweed Deluxe clone that covers, well, the Tweed sound for 50s style. Yeah it's loud too but it's good to have a Tweed style amp.

A silverface DR in VG to excellent condition with original transformers and minor or no mods sells around here for $1600-1800; maybe a tad higher on a good day. The non-original transformer lowers the price, condition of the tolex is important; non-original speaker is not a big deal, but usually a plus when present. My guess would be $1200-1400 if it is in VG to EX cosmetic condition and not modded too much.

Isn't there a different between the 1968-1972 silver panels and the ones that came later? I would have thought not a penny over $1000 but people are crazed on those amps, so I guess I am out of touch. Still I thought the vintage amp market here as the year 2020 approaches was sort of soft.

Isn't there a different between the 1968-1972 silver panels and the ones that came later? I would have thought not a penny over $1000 but people are crazed on those amps, so I guess I am out of touch. Still I thought the vintage amp market here as the year 2020 approaches was sort of soft.

– DCBirdMan

There were very few changes made in Deluxes during the transition from BF to SP up until ‘78 when the pull-volume was added, as I understand it. I have a ‘77 and two ‘78’s, all original everything, and I can’t personally hear any difference, all else being equal, i.e., same guitar, settings, etc. Could just be that all of mine need new caps an’ stuff. Haha

Might check eBay and Gbase for comparables on the street and retail ends of things.And I'd get some Fender amp knobs for the normal channel,as part of getting the cosmetics spiffed up as much as possible.

– DCBirdMan

The cabinet construction is different. Later amps have butt-joined sides. It's a big issue with Twins, due to the extra weight of the chassis - the tolex becomes a structural component at that point, but it's less of an issue with a DR.

Later DR's also got a pull boost and a crappy taper volume pot, but if you don't pull the knob, it's still OK.

Here it is. I forgot I did replace the two non original knobs with two Fender aftermarket knobs. For some reason they seem loose. If I take off an original knob from one of the other controls and put it on the one that is loose when I put the replacement on it’s snug like it should. So issues the aftermarket knob not the pot shaft. I thought they were all standard knobs but I think not.

The push pull pot is no longer there. Billy Zoom out in his exclusive wattage hi low toggle switch on the back. I have a Cannibis Rex speaker but I’d probably keep that if I sell it and put some other speaker I have around here. People nickel and dime you when you sell things so why include a $100 aftermarket speaker if they are gonna do that.

I'd say $800 to $1000 based on recent ebay sales. Here's one without the replaced speaker and transformer that went for $900 for example. I'm not sure if that autograph helps or hurts the value.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19...

guitarcapo thanks for the info. I may keep it a few months more and play it and make sure if I should sell it or not.

About the loose knobs it’s fine now. Just a letter of tightening the screws on the knob.

72 is the last year of the screw in baffle - glued in thereafter, and def negatively impacts pricing. Fantastic amps, obvs, but theres a lot of them. Retail in a store, 1200 - 1500, private sale I'd say any offer over a grand you should seriously consider.

Not the greatest era for hand wired Fender Amps but far better than post '81. I have one from a little later (80-81) and was not shy about not keeping it original. It had the later blackface control panel and that never looked right to me so I replaced that with a reissue from the '65 reissue. I replaced the shot speaker (nothing special) with a Weber California. I had it internally blackfaced and clipped the bright resistor. Finally, the original case (particle board) looked like it was "rode hard and put away wet" so I put the whole thing in a RI case I got off of eBay. Now it looks great and sounds great too. Probably not worth as much as a good condition one with all original parts but the things I replaced weren't in good condition to begin with and the things I replaced them with are improvements sonically as well as cosmetically. So I consider it a wash.

Someone seeing it would probably think it's a reissue but that doesn't bother me.

Don, is that a Rivera era amp you got there? I hear those are in demand.

My DR is the loudest 22 watts I have ever heard.

Quite so - I use one all the time. With the appropriate speaker, I can't get past 4 in a 200 seat venue.

– DCBirdMan

I was thinking in Canadian dollars, so yes, $800-1000 (USD) would be a good price; $1000 USD is about $1450 CAD. Cabinet aside, a good amp tech could make it as good as any blackface DR; maybe Billy Zoom already blackfaced it? It's a shame the value is not much more than a reissue because it's a better built amp with better components; easier to service too.

Deluxe Reverbs are falling into the "big amp" category as they can be loud, depending on the speaker, but they can sound fantastic if set up properly. A 12AY7 in the preamp stage can tame the volume a bit, and speakers these days are almost too efficient. I took the Weber out of my 1976 DR and replaced it with the original Utah after having it reconed. It's not as loud but still bass good bass and treble response.

No the Deluxe Reverb II came along in '82 or '83. It was really a silverface amp but with a blackface control panel. Like this one:

I had an original '65 that I bought back in 1965 and the revised one just didn't look right. It was an easy enough change.

I recall Billy telling me he did Black Face it.

Surely we're headed toward legislation to make tube amps over 20~30 watts illegal for regular use. (There will be endless debate, much lobbying, and cashflow to establish exactly the statutory cutoff wattage, as well as the method used to determine it, and no doubt negotiated exceptions.) It will take a special permit for carefully regulated exhibition use only. To attend full-stack Marshall or cranked Twin-Reverb demos, we'll have to sign waivers exempting the organizers from liability, AND show our earplugs. No one under 14 permitted.

Same with gasoline-burning cars. We'll have to go to infrequent car shows whose organizers pay for exemptions (and show proof they've bought carbon credits) to get our intoxicating whiffs of incompletely burned hydrocarbons. We'll be inundated in the sounds of internal combusters, however, as you'll be able to dial in the sound of your otherwise silent electric car from menus of classics from chugging model Ts to rumbling Duesenberg straight 8s to fire-breathing Hemis. Certain sounds (like lake pipes or straight pipes with the dampers out) will require illegal hacks. https://shop.advanceautopar...

72 is the last year of the screw in baffle - glued in thereafter, and def negatively impacts pricing. Fantastic amps, obvs, but theres a lot of them. Retail in a store, 1200 - 1500, private sale I'd say any offer over a grand you should seriously consider.

– spike

yes I always thought it was 72 for the cab change... and I say screw-in rules over glue-in. And then around '78 went to that sharp edge over rounded edge... more CBS cost cutting...

Surely we're headed toward legislation to make tube amps over 20~30 watts illegal for regular use. (There will be endless debate, much lobbying, and cashflow to establish exactly the statutory cutoff wattage, as well as the method used to determine it, and no doubt negotiated exceptions.) It will take a special permit for carefully regulated exhibition use only. To attend full-stack Marshall or cranked Twin-Reverb demos, we'll have to sign waivers exempting the organizers from liability, AND show our earplugs. No one under 14 permitted.

Same with gasoline-burning cars. We'll have to go to infrequent car shows whose organizers pay for exemptions (and show proof they've bought carbon credits) to get our intoxicating whiffs of incompletely burned hydrocarbons. We'll be inundated in the sounds of internal combusters, however, as you'll be able to dial in the sound of your otherwise silent electric car from menus of classics from chugging model Ts to rumbling Duesenberg straight 8s to fire-breathing Hemis. Certain sounds (like lake pipes or straight pipes with the dampers out) will require illegal hacks. https://shop.advanceautopar...

– Proteus

Man, a cranked Twin is a thing to behold

Not a Deluxe but a Princeton Reverb I‘ve bought recently, made in 1980, same AB1270 circuit like the SF, swapped the speaker for an Eminence Alessandro SC64. 1k. Cap job. Best sounding amp I‘ve ever played, no joke. The SF/BFII prices are dramatically rising!

I sold a ‘77 SFDR a couple months ago for $1350 on Reverb. Very good condition and it was sporting a new Jensen speaker.

Register Sign in to join the conversation