Other Amps

How many use a Super Reverb?

I like my Alnico 4 x10 Super Reverb RI for TVJ & Gretsch Filtertrons, Supertrons, 58 RI PAFs. ----but not anything single coil..........

Anyway, I designed and built a 2 x10 enclosure with a proper 2 ohm speaker load (ceramic customs from Warehouse Speakers), and used blonde tolex and wheat grill. It's half the size of a Super!---fits in small cars!

Everyone I have shown loves it and says I should manufacture them as a side business. However, Gretsch players tend to like the Bassman over the Super......

Can't really use Alnico for 10" spks @ 2 ohms---not that I'm aware of anyway.

Total height is 18" or 18.5" as an option just in case 12" spkrs are desired. ----you can squeeze 2 x 12s in a 18.5" enclosure, but not an 18". So, it's an option.
Is there a demand for 2 x 10 mini-Supers?

You may also want to try a 1x15 with it.

This month I’m going to buy a Weber Z-Matcher. You can buy just the transformer, that would be a useful addition to an amp with a fixed output impedance.

One of my Super Reverbs has a smaller 4 ohm transformer. I was using that through a Tremolux cabinet, it was very good. I’m using a Bassman with that cab right now, it is also very good.

That’s what I would build for myself, a single channel AB763 with a solid-state or switchable rectifier, the head part in a separate section of the cabinet from the speakers [I had a Garnet like that], and the speaker box built like the Tremolux. Then maybe a built-in distortion circuit. I would like to try to build the cab with composites.

I think an amp should be the right height to sit on.

I still have my SR, have played them for years and years, don't use it as much as I used to. I only have single coil guitars, the only one that doesn't sound all that great through it is my DeArmond-equipped Guild Starfire III.

I had to sell mine because my back was killin me.

I play a bassman with a closed back 1x12 that sounds pretty killer and an open back deluxe 1x12.

I loved my super...but it was just too damn unwieldy. I'd like to try a 2X10. see if it strikes my fancy.

No single coils thru a Super Reverb??? SRV is turning over in his grave...

– ruger9

It's the speakers.......Jensen ceramics and Fender single coils are a match made in heaven. The stock 4 x10 Alnico P10Rs just sound thin to me. When I run Jensen C12s or even C10s, all is well!

Still have my '68 SR.

I use it in the studio only, though.

My back can't hump 80 pounds up and down stairs like it used to.

I think a mini AB763 2 x 10" super reverb is pretty well a vibrolux.

I have used a 1980 super reverb with a 64 tennessean as my main rig for 25 years. The ultimate clean platform. It is truly a beautiful sounding amp, especially with the Tennessean. I have tried it with 2 x 10's (Mine is a 4 ohm load ultralinear) and while it sounds good 4 x 10s is much better. However due to a desire for a smaller more easily portable amp I built myself a couple of deluxes and a couple of vibroluxes. the vibroluxes seems to do the trick a bit better. Have the power needed (25-40 watts) and the sound of multiple 10" speakers. The super reverb is a great amp though.

It's the speakers.......Jensen ceramics and Fender single coils are a match made in heaven. The stock 4 x10 Alnico P10Rs just sound thin to me. When I run Jensen C12s or even C10s, all is well!

– 10course

A great, inexpensive currently available speaker for Super Reverbs is WGS's veteran 20. A little sweeter on top than a lot of 10's, not too efficient so your Super doesn't turn into a ridiculously loud clean beast, light weight and not too bass-heavy. I have them in a couple of amps and I couldn't be happier.

Jensen's current Alnico 10's are OK for a tweed (though still not great..) once they have some time on them and have been beat up and loosened up a little, but they're awful for a blackface amp IMO. Ice-pick in the forehead.

I played a 65 SR for 20 years. Too many pounds to haul arounds. Very nice with a SG though.

What effect does mixing speaker sizes get you?

Has this been done with anything like a good result?

I'm thinking, just for SNG, what a cab with a 15 and a 10 might sound like, if possible to do.

What effect does mixing speaker sizes get you?

Has this been done with anything like a good result?

I'm thinking, just for SNG, what a cab with a 15 and a 10 might sound like, if possible to do.

– crowbone

I'm ignorant regarding the working of amps and can only speak to the tone and sound created, but I've only heard of a 15" being paired with another one in the vintage Showman amps, otherwise they seem to be a stand alone speaker. What would adding a 10" with a 15" create that a 15" on its own couldn't deliver?

Well, it gets you a blend of the characteristics of the two speakers. Like faster excursion and a punchier sound with midrange focus from a 10, and the warmth, mass, and majesty of a 15.

The devil would be in the details of which speaker you chose for each role, but it's a pairing that could work very nicely.

I have a 66SR with the alnico s. It really isn’t heavy but the shape is awkward to carry up 3 flights o stairs in a narrow Victorian .... 2 x 10 would be a better format for gigging

– ruger9

Ronnie Earl!!!

I'm ignorant regarding the working of amps and can only speak to the tone and sound created, but I've only heard of a 15" being paired with another one in the vintage Showman amps, otherwise they seem to be a stand alone speaker. What would adding a 10" with a 15" create that a 15" on its own couldn't deliver?

– Windsordave

Fender Showmans had JBL D130's. They're in a category by themselves. No other speaker does what they do. Never think of a Showman as having a 15" speaker, they have D130's. That's different.

Ronnie Earl!!!

– charlie chitlins

Yes indeed! Luckily, Ronnie is still with us.

One of my favorite amps of all time was my 79 bassman 10. The 70 watter. Almost an sr without the r. 4x10 and great headroom and tone.

The sr is a great amp for the big stage. I have played them but not owned. Drats i would like too.

Great amps

Register Sign in to join the conversation