Other Amps

How does the DeLisle Quadrolux work?

If I remember right this started life as Baxter’s amp. I’ve been looking at them, and wonder how they function/operate? I see there’s 3 sections, but four amps? Do you switch between channels from the back? Also, does anyone have a pic of the back of the amp? Thanks.....

Ok, let me preface this by saying I am fully unqualified to comment on anything technical related to amps.

So, the first setup is pretty straightforward: It's more or less a Blackface princeton reverb circuit, in my case running through a very efficient 12" neo speaker. It's surprisingly loud and robust for a 15 watt princeton circuit.

There's a switch between fixed and cathode bias. Flip that and you're on a brown face princeton circuit, more or less.

In the course of my amp research, I had figured out just enough to come to understand that some of the tweed amps were pretty similar to PR circuits. In talking to Jer, turns out (IIRC) that the vibrolux circuit is very close, so you can reuse chunks of things without having to have two full amps in there. So, if you pull the volume knob you activate the tweed vibrolux-y circuit (and lose the reverb, since it has no business there).

And if you're on that vibrolux circuit you can flip back to fixed bias, if that's your bag. I don't think that configuration was ever really offered by Fender.

That's probably riddled with technical inaccuracies, but that's how I recall it. I can tell you that my favorite setting is the "brown face" setting... the PR + cathode bias, which is just a wonderful, responsive and perfect blend of tweed and blackface goodness. At least for me.

Nothing like getting the straight scoop from one of the few actual owners, but here is a little more info from the de Lisle website:

It’s four amps in one; tweed 5E3 Deluxe, tweed 5F11 Vibrolux, Princeton Reverb and a variation of our Rutgers. Channel switching is accomplished via push-pull knob on the front. Bias method is switchable on the back panel.

Ok, let me preface this by saying I am fully unqualified to comment on anything technical related to amps.

So, the first setup is pretty straightforward: It's more or less a Blackface princeton reverb circuit, in my case running through a very efficient 12" neo speaker. It's surprisingly loud and robust for a 15 watt princeton circuit.

There's a switch between fixed and cathode bias. Flip that and you're on a brown face princeton circuit, more or less.

In the course of my amp research, I had figured out just enough to come to understand that some of the tweed amps were pretty similar to PR circuits. In talking to Jer, turns out (IIRC) that the vibrolux circuit is very close, so you can reuse chunks of things without having to have two full amps in there. So, if you pull the volume knob you activate the tweed vibrolux-y circuit (and lose the reverb, since it has no business there).

And if you're on that vibrolux circuit you can flip back to fixed bias, if that's your bag. I don't think that configuration was ever really offered by Fender.

That's probably riddled with technical inaccuracies, but that's how I recall it. I can tell you that my favorite setting is the "brown face" setting... the PR + cathode bias, which is just a wonderful, responsive and perfect blend of tweed and blackface goodness. At least for me.

– Baxter

So, I take it you’re still really happy with it then.....

Thanks for the imput...I’ve been kind of dreaming about a 5e3 amp, but the idea of having the others too in one head just makes me go......ooooooooohhhhhhh.

I guess the question should have beeen simplified. I was curious about how it sounded, and how you operate it. So you go between amps with push pull pots then, if I’m following you right....

Yeah, for me, personally, I usually leave it in cathode biased, most times, and treat it more like a tweed/brownface switch on the front. the bias switch is kind of tiny and on the back, so I usually only flip it when I'm after that sound.

In any of the settings it sounds great. I tried a lot of boutique amps when I tried it, and I've never regretted the purchase at all. It's just beefy enough to gig with (I took it to a couple of roundups where it held its own against some much bigger amps), it's really versatile, and I think it sounds just phenomenal. There are a LOT of sounds you can get out of it, too.

I had my doubts pairing it with the Neo speaker, but that's worked out really well too.So much that I had an alnico weber in there for awhile and changed it back.

Quibbles? On mine, I think the reverb tank is too big. It goes to FULL REVERB really quickly. I think Jer may have changed that since mine.

And I kinda wish I'd got a combo. I insisted on a separate head, but I think a combo would be nice.

"There's a switch between fixed and cathode bias. Flip that and you're on a brown face princeton circuit, more or less" The Brownface and Blackface are both fixed bias..

I am impressed. It is so scrupulous work! I am from https://worldpostalcode.com..., and many years ago, at school, I used to have construction classes. I had a perfect teacher who taught to be patient with little details and move step by step. But I doubt I would make anything like that now. I have no patience for this now.

Register Sign in to join the conversation