Other Amps

Home studio amp recommendations?

The only SS amp I've owned and kept is the Tech 21 Trademark 30. They also make a 60 watt version that weighs only 36 pounds. No digital modeling/effects, 100% analog. Sounds pretty good, but it doesn't sound like a tube AC15. It will probably never break.

You could build an amp with all the good stuff to begin with, so you won't need to upgrade. NOS tubes, Celestion speaker, bingo.

The only SS amp I've owned and kept is the Tech 21 Trademark 30. They also make a 60 watt version that weighs only 36 pounds. No digital modeling/effects, 100% analog. Sounds pretty good, but it doesn't sound like a tube AC15. It will probably never break.

You could build an amp with all the good stuff to begin with, so you won't need to upgrade. NOS tubes, Celestion speaker, bingo.

– Powdog

This is what gets me into trouble.

http://www.mojotone.com/kit...

Just for the heck of it, when you are talking something that will probably stay in the music room (den?), what's the issue with something like a Fender Mustang? You get pretty good repros (not perfect) of several amps in one compact box, and so long as the volume is living room level or so, and because you can ramp 'em up a little, they sound better than some larger amps at the same volumes.

As for the Mustang, Version 2 even comes with a decent emulation of a '57 Twin.

Roland's eBand series allow you to edit many of the sounds to your own taste, and weigh about three pounds. And mine will wake up the wife if I crank it too high in the living room 40 feet and three closed doors away from the bed. That's where the headphone circuit comes in handy!

Then there's the Line 6 Vetta. Saw one on a cruise ship and got to try it with a Taylor T5. It impressed.

Another plus- most of the smaller modelling amps come with line-out jacks that can be plugged right into the PA. At a summer beach party (with very limited power- a single 60amp circuit) this past year, I hauled out my little tiny Eband and plugged it straight into the 6 channel PA and added just a volume pedal for lead work. Power consumption was tiny, and the sound of my Ric (in this case) was more than chimey enough to satisfy the crowd. And as a plus- I did not have to haul my JC-77 50 yards each way across the sand to set it up... Kind of a win-win.

Just for giggles- here's a page I found which has demos of several popular modellers... I have no affiliation, but there are some nice vids on this page...

http://www.guitarsite.com/b...

The 5F2-a is one of my favorite amps. Classic, simple circuit with some really great voice/gain mod possibilities. Build it to run a 6L6 and put it in a small 1x12" cab and it's a very versatile amp.

The chassis, cab and transformers in the Mojo kit are great. The rest...meh. The tubes and speaker blow. Jupiter or Sozo caps really make this amp sing.

Just for the heck of it, when you are talking something that will probably stay in the music room (den?), what's the issue with something like a Fender Mustang? You get pretty good repros (not perfect) of several amps in one compact box, and so long as the volume is living room level or so, and because you can ramp 'em up a little, they sound better than some larger amps at the same volumes.

As for the Mustang, Version 2 even comes with a decent emulation of a '57 Twin.

Roland's eBand series allow you to edit many of the sounds to your own taste, and weigh about three pounds. And mine will wake up the wife if I crank it too high in the living room 40 feet and three closed doors away from the bed. That's where the headphone circuit comes in handy!

Then there's the Line 6 Vetta. Saw one on a cruise ship and got to try it with a Taylor T5. It impressed.

Another plus- most of the smaller modelling amps come with line-out jacks that can be plugged right into the PA. At a summer beach party (with very limited power- a single 60amp circuit) this past year, I hauled out my little tiny Eband and plugged it straight into the 6 channel PA and added just a volume pedal for lead work. Power consumption was tiny, and the sound of my Ric (in this case) was more than chimey enough to satisfy the crowd. And as a plus- I did not have to haul my JC-77 50 yards each way across the sand to set it up... Kind of a win-win.

Just for giggles- here's a page I found which has demos of several popular modellers... I have no affiliation, but there are some nice vids on this page...

http://www.guitarsite.com/b...

– Kevin Frye

Now there's an idea. Since I'm not really playing out, get something that I'll use exclusively in the office/studio, but light enough to haul for the rare time I'd actually be playing out. If that changes, I can always get a 'real' amp to play out with. All 4 in that article (Vox/Line6/Peavey/Fender) might fit the bill.

Power scaling.....! It's the future! Don't know why it isn't featured more on amps

– Vince_Ray

I got myself Vox AC4C1-12. Its AC30/AC15 in smaller form, 4watt, 9kg, really light, fulltube with 12" speaker inside. Great vox sound, breaks up at low volume... great for rooms, smaller gigs or even bigger giggs with mic up in front..

I have it almost 2 years now and its great.. Love it!

One nice aspect of low wattage amps is their low cost. You can afford one in each flavor you'd like---Fender, VOX, Marshall, etc.

Starting a Champ Reverb. Class A, single EL34, 12" speaker and a two-knob Fender reverb circuit. Will also have a Leo/Jimbo voice switch.

Starting a Champ Reverb. Class A, single EL34, 12" speaker and a two-knob Fender reverb circuit. Will also have a Leo/Jimbo voice switch.

– Powdog

That looks vey interesting. I'll keep an eye on that as you go along.

David Allen has a few things as project amps one is a handwired BJr with a 10 inch baffle. He changed it from a fixed bias to a cathode bias which I'm intrigued by but I'm confounded over the fact that it's still a BJr at too high a price.

I'd say your best bet is to talk to Jer @ deLisle

BTW Strum's amp is about 2 miles from the house. Tempting but NO! Jer would get the money b4 GC

– Powdog

I think it's really cool that there are amp kits for Princeton / Champ / Bassman amps, and I envy the folks who have the patience to build one....but since my skills are limited to assembly and BASIC electrical (home wiring and fixtures), the thought of having to learn how to solder, and having to have a person who knows what they're doing bail me out....

I think I'd be better off just getting a used Blues Junior or AC and upgrading the tubes/reverb tank. Plugging in, I can do. Once I start soldering, I'd pretty much end up like this:

I'm going to play some amps this weekend, but I think my likely choice will be to pickup a Mustang III for now, and keep a watch on Craigslist for a good buy on a small Fender or Vox tube amp, and upgrade it as needed.

If you are planning on playing with a band often you will find that 15 watts won't cut it. I suggest going with at least 20 watts. My amps: Peavey ss CS800 800 watt PA Power amp, Alto ss 1,000 watt power amp, Behringer 450 watt bass amp head w 4x10 cabinet, 1965 Epiphone Pacemaker tube amp about 12 watts, Fender super champ XD 15 watts tubes, Marshall JCM head w 2x12 cabinet EL34 tubes 50 watts.

If you are planning on playing with a band often you will find that 15 watts won't cut it. I suggest going with at least 20 watts. My amps: Peavey ss CS800 800 watt PA Power amp, Alto ss 1,000 watt power amp, Behringer 450 watt bass amp head w 4x10 cabinet, 1965 Epiphone Pacemaker tube amp about 12 watts, Fender super champ XD 15 watts tubes, Marshall JCM head w 2x12 cabinet EL34 tubes 50 watts.

– Pt

15w can work with an efficient speaker. It just depends on the group. I play a tweed deluxe and do fine in one band but couldn't get away with it in my other group.

Holy smoke, Pt- mind if I ask what style of music you're playing?

The "biggest" amp I have ever used onstage was a Peavey Musician iii; 400W RMS into a 4X12 Peavey Celestion cab, and it never got cranked over about 5 on the 1-10 scale.

I spent time in a Disco showband in the 80's- we had three CS800's stacked to run the mains!

Holy smoke, Pt- mind if I ask what style of music you're playing?

The "biggest" amp I have ever used onstage was a Peavey Musician iii; 400W RMS into a 4X12 Peavey Celestion cab, and it never got cranked over about 5 on the 1-10 scale.

I spent time in a Disco showband in the 80's- we had three CS800's stacked to run the mains!

– Kevin Frye

Classic Rock and blues with a few country songs.

Register Sign in to join the conversation