Other Amps

Home Alone -privat shoot out - a problem ???

I did a little comparison of my amps . All of the amps sound good / great / better than me , and my favorite is the AC 30 with the marshall cab . But is there something going on with the Vox 2 x12 cab ? - It has a 63 celestion blue (15w 8ohm) and a new celestion greenback Gh12 (30w 8ohm). It lacks the power and sounds thin compared to the others . The Tremolux is also 30w and is a lot louder with its cab ,than the AC 30 with the Vox cab. (not so when I use the marshall cab) My meter shows 15.8 ohms and thats what it should be. Any thoughts ?

What does the back of the Vox look like? Is it a vintage one?

Can you see the impedance terminal block?

Thin? Quiet? Could the speakers be wired out of phase with one another?

Test easily and for free with a naked flame (lighter, candle) placed in front of one speaker, then the other. Hit a good chord. If the flame is blown away from the grille- all good. However, if it's drawn towards the grille...

Test easily and for free with a naked flame (lighter, candle) placed in front of one speaker, then the other. Hit a good chord. If the flame is blown away from the grille- all good. However, if it's drawn towards the grille...

– ade

Except that’s so wrong

What does the back of the Vox look like? Is it a vintage one?

Can you see the impedance terminal block?

– hammerhands

Yes , its a vintage one . marked 16 DJ . The greenback is a newer one , though made in England

– ade

I think out-of-phase is probably right, not sure about the test.

Somewhere in the amp there may be a place to switch the impedance, I’m wondering if it is set to 8 ohms?

The cab it self is a newer type ,China made, with open back . The red lable says : + and a # , its a little hard to read - its hand written and worn , but I'm sure I measured to 8 ohms - or a little less.

There is no switch , but different leeds on the OT . Haven't been in there for a while , but pretty sure its on the 16 ohm leed. It sounds great on the marshall cab ( 16). But I`ll have another look . heres a peak

If the Marshall is 16 ohms, it must be ok. I’m sure ade is right about it being out-of-phase.

Out of phase ? should I switch polarity (wires )on one the speakers then ? I`ll give it a try tomorrow

Swapping wires on one speaker should do it.

The description does sound like the 2 speakers are out-of-phase to me as well. The Vox cabinets sounds like that regardless of which amp head you plug it into?

It'll be interesting to hear your results when you swap 1 of the speakers wires around.

– ade

Nice catch Ade. It was wired out of phase , if going by what online experts say is right. I Haven't had a chance to compare or play very loud yet , but the impression ,from my little evening session, is that it is a lot beefier now . I`ll see if I can do a multi amp / cab test over the weekend

Register Sign in to join the conversation