Other Amps

hey wireless dudes

What's the deal with these now.. who uses one?

Usual questions --

Which ones are good What can go wrong Any good for bass How to use w/ pedals -- where does it plug in, etc. Are these in/out cool/uncool at the moment

Interested in opinions.

thanks

My background with wireless is with top end mikes---Sennheiser, AT, Shure, and even older EV units. We also have wireless ICOM systems for audio/stage and video crews. I've no real history with dedicated instrument systems, tho I've seen a lot of NADY on stage. Most belt packs can be used with guitar and bass as well as lavaliere mikes.

I always have felt that direct wired is better. There always seems to be some loss incurred in the wireless systems, tho that may be just my ears. It'd keep you from tripping over your wire if you run and jump around on stage. You'd have the send/transmitter at the instrument, and the receiver at the pedal chain or amp. Leave the pedals connected to the amp by wire.

A real thing to consider is battery life---even if it's a rechargeable type. Batteries get pricey quickly, and remembering to plug the thing in can be an issue. We'd buy wireless batteries weekly by the case. Sennheisers would eat 3 AAAs every 2 hours or less.

I'm pretty new to using one, it's fun to run around.

No idea which ones are good, mine is from the 90's. Cutting out/battery dead/errant signals are greatest risk.

The gain that the wireless can provide does push the pedals/amp differently, so you have to try it out and plan it out.

Pack->Guitar ---------- Receiver->Pedals>Amp (unless you're running an effects loop).

I'm not particular about "cool/uncool", if it works for the amount of movement then it works. Not tripping up everybody else is a plus.

Try the affordable ones - Xvive U2. Works good enough. Sometimes the signal gets choppy—like a tremolo in fast setting then it works again. Happened twice while in a club full of people checking on their phones—a sign they're bored on our set.

Seriously.

I use and like the Shure GLXD16

It’s nice not being tethered to my pedal board.
12 hour rechargeable battery. A built in tuner that is fantastic. Built like a tank and honestly sounds better than plugging straight into an amp. Among other things it has a gain setting so it is very flexible for different styles/ ears.

I like mine, but I change batteries every time I use it. Perhaps that's overkill, but a wireless dying while you're using it is a very bad thing.

I’ve been using wireless since John Nady started making them. (Back in the day he also owned a nightclub in Oakland, a huge converted warehouse, and he hired my band to play a few times. After he and my Soundman made a few “tweaks” to my system, I could stand outside in the parking lot and play while my amp was inside onstage!

It was a modified Nady 201. I used it throughout the 80s and 90s exclusively. It finally broke in the early 2000s. Honestly, whatever tone I lost , compared to straight cable, I made up for at the amp, and this thing had a wicked gain control with headroom for days! It had true diversity and could switch channels in nanoseconds, and I never had problems with interference .

I’ve tried a bunch of different systems since, but the one I’m currently using for the last few years is actually one of the less expensive ones, yet one of the best, the Audio Technica System 10, stompbox model. The transmitter is relatively lightweight, but super strong plastic. I’ve dropped it dozens of times** and it doesn’t even have a mark on it! ( I have replaced the cable that goes into the guitar twice due to dropping it and stretching the cable though... but I always have a backup cable. I’m 6’5”, so it drops from a pretty good height! LOL!)

It’s digital, sounds better than straight cable, and has two outputs controlled by the footswitch, which I use for the two channels in my amp, one for my acoustic guitar (clean) and one for electric (driven). The range is great, although these days I stay relatively close, within 40-50 feet, I have never had a problem with dropouts or interference. Other guitarists I know have also now purchased it.

**I switch between acoustic guitar and electric during the course of most of my shows, and I simply unplug the transmitter, remove it from the strap, and switch guitars. And each guitar has its own strap, ( strap-lock for electric, standard for the acoustic) so that’s why I can’t permanently affix the transmitter to the strap...and sometimes during a spirited performance the transmitter seems to wiggle loose and fall to the floor! Oops! I’m working on a solution.

Batteries last for either 2 90 min shows, or one four hour show. It’s designed to use in a pedal board, but I use my amps effects loop for effects and my amps’ own drive channel, so I just go from the B channel straight into the drive channel for electric. And from the A channel, I go straight into my Fishman Aura Spectrum and then into the amps’ clean channel.

I play pretty clean, lots of rhythm, so I use a Quilter MP200 ( 8” speaker in the head unit, and 12” in the ext cab),

I’m happy with this setup, and this wireless works great, has the options I need, and is relatively bulletproof! Highly recommended!

I've got an older Line 6 G30 that works well. No complaints. If anyone else is on wireless, make sure you're on different channels. My bass player and I were on the same channels once. Fortunately we discovered this at sound check.

I've got an older Line 6 G30 that works well. No complaints. If anyone else is on wireless, make sure you're on different channels. My bass player and I were on the same channels once. Fortunately we discovered this at sound check.

– Mark G

We've had taxi calls come over our wireless channels, which is bad enough, but a construction crew using really foul language (FCC no-no) that were using theater only dedicated frequencies (FCC regulated) during a huge church conference was the last straw. We have licenses for every wireless we own (required, tho the FCC is vastly overstretched). There are only so many radio frequencies, and the bandwidth is getting filled up by cellphones and drones an Bluetooth devices. That's the main reason that TV and AM/FM radio went digital---to provide more coverage for other technology.

I sit and play in my solo acoustic gig, so not required there. But, when I'm donning a Strat or Bennie and walking the stage I MUST be unteathered. If I had to plug a wire from me to my amps I'd probably trip and fall and break my leg, since I'm so used to being wireless (6 - 7 years now). I use an old SHURE PGX14 that I bought new for $250 about 7 years ago, and aside from battery use I've never had a problem. "They" say you lose up to 10% volume & tone with a wireless rig but I never noticed a loss, but I do know if I walk 150' away from the stage I'll start to lose signal, and from about 75' out you start to get "behind" in the song (there's a distance delay) so you have to REALLY pay attention ... BUT, WHEN IT COMES TO STANDING AND PLAYING ELECTRIC ... I'M WIRELESS FOR LIFE

The only one worth having is Sennheiser. I've tried them all. No background hiss or noise.

Your guitar will sound a tad brighter, though....because you are eliminating the capacitance the ground that your shielded guitar cable creates. You can compensate by dialing your tone knob a tad to compensate...or enjoy the reduced muddiness.

Big thumbs up for the Xvive. Only a few gigs on it, but great so far.

I can charge the batteries in the car on the way to the gig.

Register Sign in to join the conversation