Other Amps

hey pedal power dudes

Well my rule is no more than two pedals allowed. I have a Boss 9v trem and I run power out to it (don't do batteries) but I am way tempted by the Mini Vent rotary pedal but it's 12v. So that means I have to run 2 ac adaptors -- one out out to each?

Guess then that runing 12 v in a 9 v pedal will burn out something? I don't know what over / under voltage effects are.

I am ashamed to admit it but once I RAN 3 PEDALS--. Boss trem, delay and reverb and one ac adaptor powered them all with that multi daisy chain whatever thing that has 3 jacks to go in each pedal

maybe overkill for two pedals...or wind up making you use more!!

but take a look at the voodoo labs iso 5...voodoo labs was the early power block standard...everybody used them...now the rest have caught on

gives clean isolated power, so pedals aren't sharing power/causing hum....it has three 9v isolated outputs..a 9v/12v option output and an 18v iso output (hence iso 5!)....should you ever be tempted by some 18v time effects/delay type pedal...(for instance, it's perfect for my catalinbread echorec pedal)

rock solid power block

http://www.voodoolab.com/pe...

cheers

So that means I have to run 2 ac adaptors -- one out out to each?

With only two pedals, of different power needs, that's what I'd do.

Guess then that runing 12 v in a 9 v pedal will burn out something?

Yes no maybe not necessarily. It's generally easy to find the power requirements for a given pedal by Googling "pedalname current draw." There's at least one site that aggregates such information, which will generally come up in the list of hits - but the manufacturer's own info is usually there too. You probably have to go to the manufacturer site to see what over-current might do. (It's not always bad.) But you're not going to find a supply that puts out only 12v, so the likelihood of being able to overpower the Boss trem is slight.

Neatone is dead on here:

maybe overkill for two pedals...or wind up making you use more!!

Because any power supply worth having is going to be at least 100.00. Once you've invested that, you might be tempted to fill up the holes just from a sense of economy.

If you're buying power, there's little to no functional difference between a 25.00 OneSpot (the daisy-chainer you mentioned) and any of the bricks which DON'T have isolated power. That's pretty much everything else up to 100.00. I don't think the OneSpot will work in your situation, because it doesn't do 12v. Again, with those two pedals, I'd just use their adapters.

But for general economy and quiet performance in powering pedals (which are the two poles we try to steer between), there's no sense spending more than the OneSpot money unless you're going to a brick with isolated power. So the choice for multi-pedallers is 25.00 plus a daisy chain cable for ample non-isolated power - or 100.00 and more for isolation. Which is what you really want.

My own minimum requirement is the 5-port MXR Iso-Brick mini at right around 100.00. But for 20.00 more (less if used and lucky), you get their regular Iso-Brick, with 10 ports of well-considered voltages. I've used most of the usual suspects, and the MXR Isos get my vote for best balance of economy and quiet. Lowest cost-per-tap of any isolated power solutions - and they're well-made and as quiet as any of the competitors. Voodoo Lab was first to the game, so they're on everyone's list, but to me they're too expensive per electron. Not as expensive as Strymon - but Strymon provides 500mA per output.

The last two paragraphs don't matter to you, Birdman; they're for the benefit of any lookers-in who are trying to power more than two pedals.

Really? Two pedals? Of course we're assuming reverb is onboard the amps. Still, you're pedal-pure as the driven snow. One could have done with three effects throughout the 60s.

But it's still the nose under the tent. Better join a Pedal Non-Proliferation Pact.

Hey thanks for all this info. Actually I have my Holy Grail Nano just velcroed on top of the amp since I am all-reverb-all-time and the line out box up there too. This little guy is a Champ chassis with 2 VTB channels and up to honkin' Princeton power. Got a Jensen Neo 12 stuffed in there and kool tilt legs also. '

So the chassis plugs into a 3 socket outlet in the bottom of the amp and an extension goes to the wall. So the chassis is in one outlet, the reverb in the second and then a 9 v adaptor line in the 3rd that run outs to Boss trem. Actually at this point I prefer Boss trem to onboard Fender.

AT one point I got fed up w/ wires and so got a reissue black panel Princeton Reverb, maybe 8 years old?? I tweaked it up w/ tilt legs, standby switch and line out. But it's 35 pounds!! and anything over 25, I ain't into it. Plus I got a line on an off the grid Magnatone 213 round hhere... those are 25 pounds. The little guy is 22 pounds. So the princeton is going up for sale. I do need two amps however. Maybe a tweed style single 12 VTB 2 input.

Maybe I could bend the rules and do 3 pedals -- trem, delay and rotary.

Maybe I could bend the rules and do 3 pedals -- trem, delay and rotary.

I don't think you'd be kicked out of the Pedal Purity League for that. And we can pretend the reverb pedal velcroed to the amp isn't really a pedal, so you're still good.

You know you could have a fuzz and still be clean for pre-Beatle 1964. Though the good ones came in the next several years after that.

I mean, I know you're a clean guy, all the time. But a fuzz - specifically not to use - would be historically correct.

Well the first commerically produced fuzz was '62? Maestro? True that the reverb doesn't count in my pedlal line up. So if I can find a delay I like, so far nothing has good slapback, I am staying at trem only

I actually had bought my T-Rex Chameleon for the flexibility it brought (powers 12v, 18v, etc) and used it for a long time (years) with only a two or three pedals before I realized that I could power pretty much everything and went on a pedal buying spree.

The main thing for me was that I wanted a power option that was a single plug - running two adapters creates at least one more than you would need an outlet for. Having a power brick narrows down the outlet need to just one for your pedals - which is handy in a gig situation.

From an infrastructure perspective, I'd get a brick over a one spot - daisy chaining (even on my board, with my brick) eventually reaches a pedal that induces a whine and you have to reroute all the cabling so that the offending pedal is isolated. You're set on two pedals, but if that third pedal you fall into starts a problem with the daisy chain then ya gotta start over.

YMMV

Yeah, I’m no advocate for daisy-chaining, other than for casual testing off the board.

I intended to make the point that devices which LOOK like bricks, but don’t have isolated taps, are no better than the daisy-chain. They’re attractive if you don’t read the fine print, because they’re under 100.00 - but functionally they’re no real improvement over the daisy chain.

Strymon offers some excellent power supply units (Zuma & Ojai -- 2 of each).

They are EXPENSIVE -- $150 to $250.

I’m not a big pedals guy either, but there’s some pedals out there that you can run on multiple voltage options for a little different sound. Ultimately that’s why I sprung for a 5 port power box that lets me run 9-12-18v options.

Register Sign in to join the conversation