Other Amps

hey Kustom dudes

https://reverb.com/item/117...

Say what you will about the the price --what I want to know is .. Kustom as early as 1965? I sort of doubt it. Maybe by 67? You could say hey man just look it up online --but lots of stuff online is just plain wrong. Better to consult with knowledgeable types.

But I did find this

The most notable merger happened with Gretsch, which at the time was owned by Baldwin.

Ha! Old feller's got himself a problem there, I'd say. Looks like they're in a warehouse/garage of similar aging once-treasures. You'd think he'd at least go to the trouble of making a list for the ad of what pieces he has, instead of requiring us to scroll through the pictures, note where they overlap, and count. And the pics don't blow up big enough to see what models they are. Expert like him, I bet he knows.

From all I know, 1965 is a plausible date for early Kustom amps.

I don't think he's going to see 17k anytime soon on a pile of Kustoms, most of which he acknowledges "need work." It's almost a given that anyone with that big a collection of obsolete quirk-brand stuff is (or was) the one guy in the world who most valued it. He's now asking the second most besotted Kustom dude to step up and pay what he paid.

I don't think it's happening.

I could be wrong now...but I don't think so.

I'll take the little blue one.

I had one just like that in black. Lots of chooglin' fun while it lasted. Naugahyde covered tuck'n'roll boat anchor after that.

I know a guy who has a working Kustom organ. With it's built in speakers and amp, it's heavier than a B-3. Saw a 200 watt Kustom tube PA head a couple of years ago, cheap, but, it was the absolute last thing I needed.

They were around the MidWest in '65. They were made in Kansas.

I know a guy who has a working Kustom organ. With it's built in speakers and amp, it's heavier than a B-3. Saw a 200 watt Kustom tube PA head a couple of years ago, cheap, but, it was the absolute last thing I needed.

– wabash slim

I didn't know any 1st generation Kustom stuff was tube. There were 2 companies that copied Kustom... Plush (they did have tube PA heads..I had one) and Earth was really cheap Kustom ripoff. I heard they closed down literally overnight ..disappeared and bill collectors were looking for them.

Ha! I got one of those sitting in my basement. Doubt I could get $200.00 for it. Boat anchor, indeed!

Which one, Jim? I might need a boat anchor.

Those little boat anchors are fine amps, and yeah, got to weigh 70 pounds.

Are they irreparable once they fry?

Are they irreparable once they fry?

Not necessarily. I suspect output transistors such as they used are pretty obsolete, though. Even the best, though, in my experience, have a higher and hissier noise floor than we expect from amps now. I don't know if that's a matter of poor design, a combination of out-of-tolerance parts, or a matter of degraded function over the years.

It's just hard to find someone who's willing to work on them - much less anyone interested in figuring out how to improve their basic functionality.

I always liked the characteristic Kustom tone; in some ways the amps accomplished the clean-headroom hi-fi reproduction some players always tried to get from tube amps of the day. They were never meant to overdrive gracefully or push into pleasing distortion. They were meant to be clean and LOUD - and that they were. The hiss was buried in the noise of the band anyway.

I bought a Lead III with a half stack back in 77. I wanted LOUD & Clean and it actually made a Fender Twin sound like a muffled, bedroom amp.

(Of course... I bought the wrong one.) The "However," the Kustom still growls, loud & clear. It had a weird, Voicing Knob, along with Drive, Channel & Master Volume, Spring Reverb. (It was somewhat akin to Modeling amp, along side of the Tuck N Roll's. The speaker cabinet weighs a ton.

It is a very wonderful sounding Solid State, "Clean." I think, with the Music Man....I have the 2 loudest clean sounding amps . (I never heard a Marshall, ear biting loud & clean.)

Register Sign in to join the conversation