Other Amps

hey Kustom dudes

Big pile of em seen locally.

I had all of the factory service manuals and schematics for those, and for the Thomas Voxes, and I tossed them during one of my moves because I was sure I'd never need them again. I didn't think there'd be any survivors.

That one down at the bottom looks a lot like the one I had. The big question is, do they work? Some amp tech could make a pile of money fixing these things.

I had all of the factory service manuals and schematics for those, and for the Thomas Voxes, and I tossed them during one of my moves because I was sure I'd never need them again. I didn't think there'd be any survivors.

– Billy Zoom

Early solid state is pretty deadly stuff. Actually my tech says the earliest Ampeg solid state attempts were even more brtual under the hood than Thomas Vox. Kustom ... well I have never seen inside one.

I still need a blue sparkle head, anyone comes across one.

OK, not need. I'd like one though.

My tech had this bass rig in his shop when I was in there the other day...

That's a good amp. The early Fender SS amps suffered from batches of bad transistors, but the ones that didn't go up in smoke were really good. All of the early transistor stuff is built really cheap and sloppy, but some of it sounded good. In the sixties, I was in a band that had all Kustom amps and PA..in Red,White, and Blue. Mine was blue. They were nice to sleep on in the van.

That's a good amp. The early Fender SS amps suffered from batches of bad transistors, but the ones that didn't go up in smoke were really good. All of the early transistor stuff is built really cheap and sloppy, but some of it sounded good. In the sixties, I was in a band that had all Kustom amps and PA..in Red,White, and Blue. Mine was blue. They were nice to sleep on in the van.

– Billy Zoom

Yes, my tech told me that this Fender SP 3100 Bassman sounds really good! I had never even heard of these Fender SS Bassman heads before..

Great story about sleeping on the Kustom amps in the van!

I used to sell Kustom. They had a cool green sparkle roll-and-pleat Naugahyde called "Cascade".

My very first bass amp (circa 1977) was a black, tuck & roll Kustom Charger.
Big, heavy, but oh so cool.

I used to sell Kustom. They had a cool green sparkle roll-and-pleat Naugahyde called "Cascade".

– duojet55

The old Kustom ads called this creature "The Nauga, from the jungles of Mishawaka". When I was a kid, we got our Red Ball Jets from the same factory's company store. It was open to anyone with any kind of union card.

My first tube amp was a Kustom Defender v15. Have since sold it but was still one of the best and most fun amps I've had. Just volume, tone and a "bass response" 4 way switch that went from American to British

The old Kustom ads called this creature "The Nauga, from the jungles of Mishawaka". When I was a kid, we got our Red Ball Jets from the same factory's company store. It was open to anyone with any kind of union card.

– wabash slim

We also used to call the Nauga "Naugie". The trade name Naugahyde comes from Naugatuck, Connecticut, where it was manufactured. They still sell Nauga creatures on their website. http://www.naugahyde.com/do...

– duojet55

Cascade is lovely. Here's mine.

Baby brother to some of the others shown in this thread.

And its lifetime guarantee.

I still need a blue sparkle head, anyone comes across one.

– Proteus

Like this?

A couple of years ago, I came across a 200 watt 4 channel tube PA head in a pawn shop. Not too bad a price, $200 as I remember. I just didn't need that kind of power for a bedroom amp.

I also know someone with one of the Kustom keyboards. It's a beast.

A couple of years ago, I came across a 200 watt 4 channel tube PA head in a pawn shop. Not too bad a price, $200 as I remember. I just didn't need that kind of power for a bedroom amp.

I also know someone with one of the Kustom keyboards. It's a beast.

– wabash slim

I got mine, the one pictured above your post, for $50. I couldn't say no to it even if it didn't work. They just look to cool

Cascade is lovely. Here's mine.

– Gbrandroundup

Man, that was always my favorite Kustom color - didn't know it was called "Cascade"..

I bought a couple of these Kustom '66 Darts about 10-12 years ago - one in blue sparkle, and the other in white sparkle.

I stupidly sold the blue sparkle, but luckily kept the white sparkle. Nice little SS practice amp.

Specs:

10 watts RMS output

6.5-inch special design speaker with plywood baffleboard

Lead and rhythm channels

Bass, middle and treble EQ

Analog reverb and delay effects

External speaker jack

Headphone jack

CD/tape input

13"W x 11-1/2"H x 7-4/5"D

290mmH x330mmW x198mmD

13-1/5 lbs/ 6 kg

Here’s my later generation Challenger. I just found a footswitch for the trem and reverb. Rich sounding clean amp!

Register Sign in to join the conversation