Other Amps

hey Boss pedal dudes

What is the deal with the Boss Deluxe Reverb pedal -- I had heard that it and the '59 Bassman pedal really didn't take off, or sell very well.

Whether it was a gimmick or they really somehow got those signature sounds into a pedal can be debated, I guess.

But what I wanted to know was with Deluxe Rv pedal... the only reason it caught my attention was that it has trem and reverb both, which I would like in one pedal --which Boss doesn't make. But could that pedal be used and set to flat response or whatever so you are essentially just getting the trem/reverb functionality out of it and not the other stuff?

BirdMan is intrigued.

I had that pedal when it first came out, hated how it "Felt". they are emulation boxes( that along with the bassman version) and very nice but they mess with the guitar's signal due to the processing AD/DA conversion. I dont want my dry signal turned into 1's and 0's :)

try to find a good craiglisted used one for cheap fun.

Never used one. All my pedals are BOSS(meaning cool to you squares) :P and I've been happy with them, although my RV-3 finally died after about 14 years of heavy use. Still gonna have it looked at as it might be a simple fix. Try the dee luxx and see, you never know you might like it.

I got one, for 5 years now or so. The reverb is not so great, in no way similar to the Fender reverb pedal. It has this weird pinging sound sometimes when digging in the strings. Don't know if they tried to do that surf drip and failed horribly, or there's some digital error here and there, but it is quite annoying. The tremolo is kinda nice, but not outstanding. The gain is best left at 9 o clock. Dial in more and things get really saggy. The EQ section works funny too, the treble and bass seem to interact. Lower treble means boosting bass, higher treble means cutting bass. Yet as a booster this pedal it does an amazing job. Used it in front of different amps and it gave all of them a nice little touch, character.

I've always meant to buy one and gaff tape it to one of those smokey amps, so I could Link-Wray-On-The-Go. I'll get around to it eventually.

I only tried one out once and got immediately annoyed with the tap-control for the tremolo; the sounds I got out of it through a Blues Deluxe weren't great either (not the BDlxe's fault). That said, Jerry Miller from Eilen Jewell's band uses it live and I can't fault him for tone.

I absolutely second Tavo´s call.

No Sir, I don´t want to live with the feel of a totally digital signal either. That´s why not even the re-20 worked for me.

Of course that´s just me ...

Yeah I have one of these- thought it might be a cheap way to spice up my little 600 champ- ie add a fender style reverb, tone controls and trem.

Its very much a "meh" imo- certainly you can only use it very sparingly or the flaws in the digital moddeling become all too apparant.

So its ok to add a bit of flavour to a cheap and cheerful amp like to 600, but through anything half decent it sounds pretty awful :)

How is the 63 reverb pedal???

Since >30 years my setup is guitar-Fender reverb tank- Fender Tweed or BF amp. Sometimes the reverb unit can be challenging at gigs (spring crashing). I never really liked built-in reverb amps. I tried many reverb pedals, including the Boss/Fender '63 Reverb pedal. It does the job better than most of what's on the market, but so far the best IHO is the Wampler Faux Spring Reverb. Lately I leave more and more my Fender reverb unit at home. The Wampler is an analog pedal and does the spring reverb thing pretty convincing.

Since >30 years my setup is guitar-Fender reverb tank- Fender Tweed or BF amp. Sometimes the reverb unit can be challenging at gigs (spring crashing). I never really liked built-in reverb amps. I tried many reverb pedals, including the Boss/Fender '63 Reverb pedal. It does the job better than most of what's on the market, but so far the best IHO is the Wampler Faux Spring Reverb. Lately I leave more and more my Fender reverb unit at home. The Wampler is an analog pedal and does the spring reverb thing pretty convincing.

– 6120GB

– 6120GB

Thanks

I have a Fender '63 Reverb (FRV-1) pedal. For me, it is OK for minimal levels of reverb for "living room use". However, when cranked above 20% - 25%, it gets that digital tone that I don't care for. Almost a "metalic" (ice-pickey?) ring. I also have the RE-20 and I don't care for the reverb in that either. I guess I'm not a digital reverb guy... I'm currently investigating some of the newer spring reverbs -- VanAmps Sole Mate, Carl Martin HeadRoom.... I've heard too many bad things about current Fender Reverb tanks.

Re: the Boss Fender Deluxe Reverb and '59 Bassman pedals -- tried them both a couple of years ago and didn't care much for either one. I recently had an "opportunity" to try a friend's FDR pedal with my Standel 25L15.... BAD news...., it made a legendary amp with glorious tone sound like a cheap trnsistor amp with a 6" speaker.....

Register Sign in to join the conversation