Other Amps

Help getting off-axis tone when on-axis

I love the way my amp sounds through a floor level 2x12 cab and found that was maybe because I was hearing it way off axis. When I drop down and become level with the speakers it sounds a bit harsh. So I am trying to get the off-axis tone when I'm in front of the speaker and can't seem to replicate it using knobs without making it muddy. Any ideas?

It's not an issue with the knobs, it's a issue with the on and off axis hearing position---ultimately, it's a perception problem with your ears. Speakers are "beamy"---brighter when dead on than when off axis. Knobs can't compensate for that.

One solution- get those speakers closer to your ear. Maybe a chair? Or, as in my own case, a plastic pop/milk crate. If possible, try and add a little distance as well, and your ears should be hearing more like what your audience is.

You might enjoy a doughnut: Link.

– Lacking Talent

...or a Beam Blocker.

I've been chasing that sound for 40 years. If you figure it out,let me know.

I love the way my amp sounds through a floor level 2x12 cab and found that was maybe because I was hearing it way off axis. When I drop down and become level with the speakers it sounds a bit harsh. So I am trying to get the off-axis tone when I'm in front of the speaker and can't seem to replicate it using knobs without making it muddy. Any ideas?

– Jack Skellington

Is this an open or closed back cab?

I've been chasing that sound for 40 years. If you figure it out,let me know.

– Billy Zoom

I agree with Billy on this one. There is no fix. Even a Beam Blocker device simply changes where the axis is (I've owned them). Just leave the 2x12 on the floor, because not only are you hearing it off-axis, but so is the crowd (unless you're up on a pretty high stage, in which case is likely you're being mic'ed through the PA and shouldn't have to be that loud anyway (for it to matter to the front row?)

In the official Fender demo for the PRRI, Jim Campilongo says (he puts his PR's on 10), "I have to point my amp over that way (because it's so loud), and there's a table over there, and unless they're a table of guitar geeks they usually just run away screaming" LOL

Can't believe that folks still put a mic in the middle of the speaker, up close too. How often do you listen to your amp that way? Same with close mics on drums, totally un natural sound

+1000 on this. So if the cab is being mic'd, off center, there's still a lot more treble and/or bite coming through the mic'd signal. What does your sound guy do to compensate? Turn down some treble at the board?

Dang. I was afraid there was no perfect solution. Thanks everyone.

Plexi shield might help. Experimenting with height to let some of the sound spill over the top. I just gigged one with my Bassman for the first time and was thrilled. A joint where I normally couldn't turn up above 3, and I was on 6! And definitely no beam. Looking forward to trying it with the Pro with the 15" laser beam speaker!

Tilt legs or an amp stand might help as well.

Register Sign in to join the conversation