Other Amps

Haven’t had the ol’ CVR out in awhile.

Just bought one! I don't have it yet, I bought it from my cousin who lives about 5 hours away, so we're going to have to schedule a meet-up for delivery... the thing is in mint condition, still has the hang tags. $400. Opportunity of a lifetime, even tho I don't even have the cash LOL.

The CVR is one I have been looking to own for awhile now, so I'll finally get to experience one. I don't even know which speakers his has... I'm guessing the ceramics, because the thing is in just pristine condition, that it must be one of the newer ones (the first ones came with alnico blue frames, I believe)

– ruger9

Congrats, bud!!!!

I’m curious to hear your first impressions.

The modern Jensen P10Rs sound ok to me. The P12R sounds like playing guitar through a kazoo, though.

The modern Jensen P10Rs sound ok to me. The P12R sounds like playing guitar through a kazoo, though.

– JBGretschGuy

Lol! That's what the C10Rs (in the PRRIs) sound like to me. Good description!

While some might say a Fender 6L6 amp is very Bright, I think the CVR is exceptionally Bright.

And the Bright channel even more so...

I think the Beam Blockers tame that a bit, and knocks back any perceived 'Ice-Picking".

The P10Rs took a while to break-in, but I think they sound fine.

Mine is a 2007? production year model...

"While most will say a Fender 6L6 amp is very Bright, I think the CVR is exceptionally Bright."

You're the only person I've ever heard say that. Not saying you're wrong, we all hear things differently, just that I've not read that anywhere, and I've read a TON of owner's reviews, being interested in buying one.

The Moyer mods actually remove the cap in the Bright Channel Tone Stack with two-fold reasoning...

1) To knock down the Hiss from having both channels with Trem and Reverb

2) Too Damn Bright...!

Ha!

Maybe "Shrill" is another way to say it...

https://www.google.com/sear...

No one said FENDER amps couldn't be shrill. Just that the CVR, being closer to a brown-era Fender circuit than a Blackface-era circuit, is LESS BRIGHT that the BFs. That's all.

And I find all the new Jensen alnicos to be quite shrill, regardless of the amp they are in. Unless they have been well broken in, anyway. New Jensens alnicos being harsh is a quite common opinion all over.

Well, then, you are off to a good start with such a clean one!

As to the "Fender too bright" thing:

Greg Koch has also admitted Fenders are too bright; when he uses the tweed Bassman RI, he says to turn the bass ALL the way up, the treble OFF, and use the MIDS control AS your treble control... "turn up the mids until you get the high end you want". And I thought I was the only guy who ran the treble OFF.

(keep in mind, these are at gigging volumes, not home/bedroom levels... at home/bedroom levels, you do need to open up the treble control).

I'd say that across the many guitars I have that being heavier on the Bass and lighter on the Treble is the rule of thumb...1:1 versus Treble 2:1 as a starting point.

Let me try posting that picture again of my former amp... it was a good looking piece of gear, as I mentioned earlier.

As to the "Fender too bright" thing:

Greg Koch has also admitted Fenders are too bright; when he uses the tweed Bassman RI, he says to turn the bass ALL the way up, the treble OFF, and use the MIDS control AS your treble control... "turn up the mids until you get the high end you want". And I thought I was the only guy who ran the treble OFF.

(keep in mind, these are at gigging volumes, not home/bedroom levels... at home/bedroom levels, you do need to open up the treble control).

– ruger9

Your post made me so curious about those settings that I googled "koch/bassman/settings" and I found a clip on youtube where he talks about reissue bassman settings, and it confirmed what I was thinking - he's got the bass on zero, not on max. Most if not all Fender amps sound awful with the bass any higher than three or four, you get way too much mushy low end.

I thought it was Jim Campilongo that was sans Bass on his Princeton?

In any case, one doesn't need to dial Treble twice as much as Bass on a CVR. Whatever the settings for a Strat, that would be the greatest separation heavy Treble I find pleasing.

Your post made me so curious about those settings that I googled "koch/bassman/settings" and I found a clip on youtube where he talks about reissue bassman settings, and it confirmed what I was thinking - he's got the bass on zero, not on max. Most if not all Fender amps sound awful with the bass any higher than three or four, you get way too much mushy low end.

– WB

My bad- typo.

I thought it was Jim Campilongo that was sans Bass on his Princeton?

In any case, one doesn't need to dial Treble twice as much as Bass on a CVR. Whatever the settings for a Strat, that would be the greatest separation heavy Treble I find pleasing.

– Twangmeisternyc

No. Bass on 10. and that is what no doubt confused me.

Campy is vol 10, bass 10, treble 6-7. Controll everything from the guitar. Many of his cleans you hear are vol on 10, bass on 10, with the guitar turned down, especially live.

However- he runs either vintage reconed C10Ns or Celestion Vintage 10s in his Princetons.

If I turned the bass to 10 on my '66 Pro Reverb, there wouldn't be a wall on the other side of the room! Not doing any strumming, just fingerstyle.

'66 PR...…….V 4.5, T 4.5, B 2 Using my Gibson Gent '71 VR...…….V 3, T 8, B 2.5 Using my Super Chet with Ray Butts personally built pups

I never have the bass even half the treble on any amp with any guitar and it doesn't produce a bright tone.

Edited for making sense!

I had been working on settings in the Rental Home before the move this last month.

I'll be refining everything in the New House over the coming weeks as we get the Music Room set up...

For my 6120RHH, using my Stack arrangement with both P10Rs and the C15N @ 2 ohms

Normal Low Impedance Input

V 5 T 3 to 5+ B 2 to 2.5 Rev 2+ Spd 2- Int 2-

Master Volume Full Open, Rhythm 80%, Lead Full Open, Center Mud Switch position

Byrdland

Stack and Normal Low Input

V 5 T 2.5 to 4 B 3 Rev 3- Spd 2- Int 2-

Rhythm V5 Tone 7.5 Lead V7.5 Tone 7.5

Super 400

Same Low Normal...

V 4 T 3 B 4 Same Trem and Rev as Byrdland

StratPlus set up for Slide Resonator

Same Low Normal Input

V 5 T 2 B 2 Rev 3+ Spd 2+ Int 2+

Controls All 10, I seem to like the Neck pickup the most...then both 2 and 4 equally.

I haven't jotted down the settings for the Kay Barney Kessel, but it sounds great cranked! The fidelity off the Kleenex Box pups is really different.

Then, the Epi Casady Bass

Bright Channel Low Input

V 2.5 T 4 B 8 Rev 2.5 Spd 1.5 Int 1.5

V 7.5 Tone 5

Only using the C15N

The Jack Bass likes the SS a lot, cleaner crisper tone versus the softer CVR sound, slightly different but similar settings through the Baggs Para DI.

The Adamas and the Kay Thin Twin are works in progress...

The Adamas is hard to beat - great sounding through either the CVR or the SS. It has a 5 position Microphone Image Preamp.

It likes the C15N, sounds fine with CVR, or the CVR as a Stack.

Picking up my CVR on saturday!! Woohoo!!!

Next time my wife will be out of the house for a while I'll need to move the CVR stack into the main living area...

The Music Room is fine, just a bit small.

I had the Moyer mod added to mine. More headroom, lush reverb and bye bye hiss. I love this amp. Prior to the modding I was deeply disappointed in it. Now it’s my main amp

OK. It's finally here.

1) I can tell it's got really good TONE, despite the next things I'm going to say. Very "pure", I feel like the strings are connected right to speaker, if you know what I'm trying to say. SRV clean days.

2) The reverb is unacceptable. I have read the Moyer mods, and might do a couple of them, but regarding the reverb, Moyer recommends a cap change AND a pan swap; I think I will try just the pan swap first, as the less PCB soldering I do, the better. If the reverb then still isn't where I want it to be, I'll do the cap change.

3) I prefer the tone of the normal channel (it's like a brown era amp: FAT. Actually reminds me alot of the Vibro-King... both amps WERE designed by Bruce Zinky after all...), the bright cap on the Vibrato channel makes that channel hella-bright, and I think I will snip it (a Moyer mod). If this makes the vibrato channel sound just like the normal channel, then I will go ahead a de-couple the reverb from the normal channel, which is supposed to reduce noise.

4) Noise. Boy, this amp has it. Noisiest Fender I've ever heard. I know the Moyer mods address this (apparently de-coupling the reverb helps alot), but first I will do some tube swapping to my favorites, as I have read that can also help quite a bit over the OEMs.

5) The speakers suck. I have never been a fan of the Jensen RIs, especially the P10Rs. So I will be swapping speakers... still researching that. Maybe Emi Legend 1028Ks, maybe Greenbacks, we'll see..... apparently, these originally came with "Fender Blue Frames" (which were made by Eminence, and according TO Eminence, are pretty much their Legend 1028K speakers), and some came with P10*Q*s... which people seem to like alot better than the Rs.

I know it sounds kind of crazy to be saying "the amp sounds really good, but it needs alot of work", LOL, but those of us who have been playing a long time can hear a "diamond in the rough" and I think that's what the CVR is; I think it could indeed be a "Vibro-King Jr." with a little care... the VK sounds great, but it's too loud and too heavy. The CVR is just right. And the normal channel already sounds alot like the VK (a tone I have always loved).

As to this particular amp, holy MINT. This thing could be NOS. My cousin who I bought it from (he bought it new, but at a steal because it supposedly had a "nick in the tolex" which neither of us have been able to find...) wonders if it "fell off a truck" somewhere, because it's NEW, he got it cheap, and I got it cheap ($400). For $400, I got no problem dropping a couple of speakers and a reverb pan into it!

And all this is from 15 minutes with my tele. Haven't even plugged my strat or my Hot Rod into it yet.

You'll be surprised what NOS Pre-Amp tubes can do to reduce hiss, especially if you dial back to 5751s. Even the Reverb Return tube, and the Oscillator for the Trem...those can be current production.

Change the Phase Inverter to a 12AT from 12AX, that will keep you cleaner longer...

Those changes are simple.

You'll need to change the Reverb Cap if you want lush, dripping, wet 'Verb. And then change the Pre-Amp Resister if you want more Power Tube before Pre-Amp breakup.

I had all my notes posted here back when I did all the changes.

I did each one separately then played for several days.

Trying to figure out what year this one is, the SN starts with AB, which would mean February 1990 if I'm correct, BUT... this amp didn't come out until 1995?!?!?!

There is another sticker inside the cabinet, below all the others, that has a date stamped on it: March 18, 2013. But I've never seen this sticker in a Fender amp before, I wonder if this is some sort of a "factory refurbished/inspected" sticker or something??

...it does say "Date of Manufacture", so perhaps this is indeed the date. It would make sense, considering the new condition this amp is in.

I just read on another forum the 2 letter code to look at is NOT the first 2 letters of the SN, but the 2 letters on the Quality Assurance sticker. Mine is "DL", = December 1993. Which still doesn't makes sense.

Just swapped out all the tubes for my favorites, and I can't believe the difference it made in the noise. The noise floor is so low now, it's 100% normal for a tube amp, and no mods are required to make it any quieter.

I don't know if it was a particular OEM (all Sovtek-R) tube that was causing the noise, or all of them cumulatively, because I just replaced them all at once. Never been a fan of Sovtek-Rs.

You are off to a good beginning!

It's cumulative, starting at the Pre-Amp...

Register Sign in to join the conversation