Other Amps

Haven’t had the ol’ CVR out in awhile.

Has the general opinion on these changed at all in the past couple years, I wonder?

People didn't like these amps because they had the "Vibrolux" name but weren't REISSUES of the old Vibrolux. Fender "purists" pfft..... they are great amps. They just aren't blackface amps, the circuit is closer to a brownface-era amp, with earlier breakup (which I like.) It is actually Greg Koch's all-time favorite amp, and what his new Koch Amps (no relation) "The Greg" was designed after.

I'd love to get one to pair with my 1x12 Supersonic.

BZ gave me another little mod idea a few weeks ago, ... once we get relocated into the new house I'll swap out a couple capacitors to move the midpoint and extend the low end on the Bass controls.

I have been using said "maligned, ultra-versatile" CVR with ALL my Electrics in some way for a decade...and have since been using it with my rather new JC Epi Bass through the Bright channel.

What's not to like? Except for the want of a few more Amps!

BZ gave me another little mod idea a few weeks ago, ... once we get relocated into the new house I'll swap out a couple capacitors to move the midpoint and extend the low end on the Bass controls.

I have been using said "maligned, ultra-versatile" CVR with ALL my Electrics in some way for a decade...and have since been using it with my rather new JC Epi Bass through the Bright channel.

What's not to like? Except for the want of a few more Amps!

– Twangmeisternyc

What speakers in yours? I think the early versions came with the blue frame alnicos (just like the Bruce Zinky-designed Pro Junior and Vibro-King did), but I see many for sale with Jensen alnicos...

Jensen Italy P10Rs.

My Closed-back Extension Cab has a Jensen Italy C15N.

Both with Beam Blockers.

I use either or together as a stack.

I'm don't know what the "general opinion" has been but I love the sound they make. I would have bought one but the two I tried were noisy. I understand there are mods to fix that but I didn't want to mess with it, especially not knowing if I'd be happy with the results.

Great stage amp for roots type music in small-mid sized clubs because of the relatively early breakup and I imagine that could be stretched, if desired, with more efficient speakers. Dave Gonzales used one for at least several years after moving away from the bassman RI + verb tank. He sounded stellar through it!

Well, the "general opinion" (meaning: what people on guitar forums say, not necessarily those people who actually own & gig the amp frequently) is:

It sucks. Fender blew it. No headroom. Allow me to translate: "it's not a 100% circuit copy reissue of the famed blackface Vibrolux Reverb, how dare they even put that name on it. Do the Fromel mods, that makes it much closer to the fabled blackface Vibrolux Reverb that Fender SHOULD have made with this amp."

Never mind that the guy who designed it- Bruce Zinky- was at Fender at that time also designing the famous Vibro-King, highly popular Pro Junior, and much-misaligned Pro-Sonic (a Fender amp with a DIRT channel?? Pfft.... HERESY!! )

I think that about covers it.

Yes, it can be a little noisy, because it has no negative feedback, BY DESIGN- it was INTENDED to breakup earlier and be a more "rocking" amp, not the Blues Machine the old Vibrolux was. It's circuit more closely resembles Fender brown-era amps. It was never intended to be a "Vibrolux Reverb REISSUE".... perhaps Fender was a little loose with naming the amp... it confused alot of people for awhile. Maybe they should have called it the "Little King", as it's often referred to as the Vibro-King's "little brother."

Well, the "general opinion" (meaning: what people on guitar forums say, not necessarily those people who actually own & gig the amp frequently) is: It sucks. Fender blew it. No headroom. Allow me to translate: "it's not a 100% circuit copy reissue of the famed blackface Vibrolux Reverb, how dare they even put that name on it.

Well, I don't like it much - no headroom indeed, with hollowbodies and big loud P90-family single coils, at stage levels, it's a distorted farty mess when I play through one. (I've played my fair share of them at fly-in gigs with provided backline)

What WillieDSW says is true though, Dave Gonzalez has been using them for quite a while and he sounds fantastic through them, but then 1)he really cranks the guitar up in his monitor, makes up for the "no headroom" 2)DG sounds great through whatever, he could make a car radio sound good.

I had one and couldn't gig with it, especially in a larger room. Distorted too much; too fast. Sold it a few years back. But... it was pretty.

Had to do some digging to find a pic, but here it is...

Edit: You'll have to close your eyes and imagine because I can't get the picture to upload. It was a blonde amp...

I think it was a poor choice back for Fender to name this amp what they did. It wasn't a reissue so why give it a [somewhat] fabled name. Not a very bright idea!

Tub and I have made a few changes...his are somewhat different.

My couple mods load the Power Tubes faster (compared to the Pre-Amp) as you dial up, then a lot more Reverb, and better stability when it gets really cranked up by filtering out the oscillating at the higher Hz, without NFB.

Blah, blah, blah...that's how I might describe it.

NEW SUBJECT - "I still need and want more Amps!"

Well, the "general opinion" (meaning: what people on guitar forums say, not necessarily those people who actually own & gig the amp frequently) is: It sucks. Fender blew it. No headroom. Allow me to translate: "it's not a 100% circuit copy reissue of the famed blackface Vibrolux Reverb, how dare they even put that name on it.

Well, I don't like it much - no headroom indeed, with hollowbodies and big loud P90-family single coils, at stage levels, it's a distorted farty mess when I play through one. (I've played my fair share of them at fly-in gigs with provided backline)

What WillieDSW says is true though, Dave Gonzalez has been using them for quite a while and he sounds fantastic through them, but then 1)he really cranks the guitar up in his monitor, makes up for the "no headroom" 2)DG sounds great through whatever, he could make a car radio sound good.

– WB

Well, the right amp for the right job, and all that...

Headroom is obviously a personal preference; alot of guys like loud clean amps and get all their dirt from pedals, other guys like to get their dirt (or most of it) right from the amp. Just all depends on what the size of the job at hand is, and how hot your pickups are.

Interesting.

With mine and its mods, my experience has been that humbuckers can sound a bit bland through it (except for my Schoolhouse Special 5120 w/ Supertrons. That one shines through this amp.) The Peerless with 3 P-90’s and Les Paul Special, on the other hand, have this nice bandwidth that sits in a mix just so. The Ricks with toasters are decidedly sharper and more “Beatle-y” through it than the Ricks with Hi-Gains which are warmer but still sharpish.

The Rick 12, again, has this rather well-defined frequency spectrum that so far, has made it able to be injected into a mix where it’s audible but not overoccupying the overall frequency spectrum. (I should also note that my sensibilities lean more toward exploiting clean tones. Dirt for emphasis only.)

Man, amps really are as much an instrument as a guitar or bass.

Register Sign in to join the conversation