Other Amps

Gretsch-like Cabinet with Filmosound Amp

If you can find the right one, it's a very cost effective route into vintage amp tone.

I adapted the stock circuit when I did mine, but I have made several changes since I wrote the article - principally removing the negative feedback loop from the speaker output - along with the eq circuit - and going for a standard tweed style volume and tone setup.

For the one I'm doing now, I decided to strip everything out and rebuild from scratch. I'm planning a GA40 type circuit with the pentode front end feeding a 5A3 Deluxe style phase inverter.

I love the 5879 preamp on the GA40. Like the EF86, developes a big fat bloom that triodes don’t.

Yeah I have no intentions of trying to get something to work out of my amp, but I'd love to keep the aesthetics.

Fortunate enough to have Derrick Bell and Steve Moratto in Toronto do six of these Filmosounds for me.

Six sounds like a lot. Each sonically different?

Sextereo Super Surround 360 Sphereosonic Setup?

Six sounds like a lot. Each sonically different?

Sextereo Super Surround 360 Sphereosonic Setup?

– Proteus

I don't want to speak for Tgibson, but these are addictive; kinda like Gretsch guitars. It's easy to succumb when you can pick up an old 179 or 365 for $50 or thereabouts. Of course at the time the cost of the conversion, cabinet and speaker are eclipsed totally by the vision of another way cool amp. Hell, think I'll take both of mine to an upcoming gig and use an A/B/Y pedal.

Fortunate enough to have Derrick Bell and Steve Moratto in Toronto do six of these Filmosounds for me.

– tgibson

My 385 cabinet is almost identical to the brown & blonde one that you have. Derrick does great work. It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison of one of Steve's conversions with one of Dave's.

Addictive is the correct word. Some are 6V6 and some are EL84. It's a bit of a Canadian thing to. Look up threads on the famed Bernie Amps from Hamilton. Inspired many of the Tex Amps

Cowboy tolex, Valco style

That looks like some serious artillery; beautiful workmanship!

– Journeyman

Thanks! They were fun to build .

Here’s another one . This is a model 601 converted to an early Gibson GA20 style with all octal tubes. 6SJ7 preamp 6SL7 phase inverter and 6V6 power tubes. Very tweedy! I’m currently building a matching 1x12 cabinet for it.

– tgibson

The cab on the right is very reminiscent of the Fender Two-Tone from the late 90s/early 00s. I used to have one but sold it...its just a blues jr in there at the end of the day. Cool cab tho

Register Sign in to join the conversation