Other Amps

Gotta Jones for a Vox

I've been gassing for a Vox amp now for some time. I've been looking at the handwired ac15, but recently I have been considering an ac10 custom with a Greenback speaker.
I've been wanting a smaller amp for performing. I like the idea of being able to crank an amp to get the tubes cooking and not killing people with shear volume. My main amp lately has been a Egnator Rebel 30 and while I do love it, I'm ready for something a little different, plus I sometimes play small venues and the head plus my 2x12 cab takes up some space. Anyone use the Vox ac10? I'd like to hear what you think of the amp. I have no problem using the PA if I need to, to get the volume up a bit, and I do play mostly classic/ alternative rock.

I have the AC15c2, which is a 2x12 with two 12" greenbacks, its the greatest amp and it really sounds perfect with all my guitars, I highly recommend! Price is unbeatable too at $799 new. Fwiw, all my guitars are single coils, but cover the spectrum fairly well with Dynas, P90s, and strat; I can't imagine humbuckers would sound bad through it. I also achieved my goal of using no pedals since getting it, it sounds that good on its own

I have to really sum it up by saying I have not one bad thing to say about it, and I will never get rid of it, I hope that helps!

Well, I have an ac10 custom coming from Sweatwater. After watching a few video reviews it seems like a perfect choice for what I'm looking for. I went with the Greenback speaker even though most say the stock speaker is great. They had a "demo" Model at a great price and they offer a 2 year warranty from the store.

The AC10 wasn't on the market when I got my AC15C1. As I'm not gigging, it'd be better for home use, but I'm more than happy with the AC15. Last amp that I'll likely buy. There's something special that happens when you plug a Gretsch into a Vox.

It takes a little while to get used to the extra grind, but I love the Vox sound for the way the highs break up before everything else does.

I got a Top Hat which, for me, is the perfect mix between a Vox and a Marshall...but I wouldn't toss any Vox to the curb. I love their tone.

Everything I see and hear about the AC10's got me wanting one too.

I have the AC4C1-12. 5watts, 12 inch speaker. Light, portable and loud for a small amp. I did consider the AC10 but the 12” speaker won me over. One thing I noticed compared to my Blues Junior and Laney Cub 10,the Vox is more sensitive to picking dynamics. They used the Top Boost character if that matters.

Problem is it has no reverb compared to the AC10. But a pedal can take care of that.

great info on this thead... I'll have to try the AC10 or maybe the ac4 1x12.... i love the Vox tone in my modeler but havent really bonded with ac15s or ac30s in person...

I've been looking for a small tube amp that I can "dime" and get that tube saturated tone, and then turn down the guitar to get cleans.... all at the magic, perfect volume for small venue gigs. I think the Vox ac10c1 is my best chance of getting there.

havent really bonded with ac15s or ac30s in person...

Yup, me too neither.

I do not "dislike" Vox amps at all, but I have to admit all the cats in the RickResource forum kind of turned me off to them with the constant insistence that "nothing else goes" with a Rickenbacker.

Vox amps are probably great, but I've never played one. Besides, for a Gretsch or a Rickenbacker, you can't really get any better than a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

...-------

Got the amp today. First impressions... Wow a fricken rock and roll machine with the White Penguin! This amp is made for this guitar, from chicken Picken country to flat out rock, just Wow! I wasn't really bonding to the Penguin until now. With my Jag Tan Annie, not so much. Not my favorite with this guitar. It's a little dark, but the Penguin just sings!

Funny...the guitar part of the picture is backwards, but it's not a xoV amp. What gives with that?

Glad you like the amp...thinking of one here, and I don't need an amp...

Wondering if the Jag Tan Annie will sound nice with my 2X12 cab plugging into the Vox? Not sure what it is but this thing makes my anemic sounding Penguin sound magical.

I too have an AC -15c2 (too).

Just like any responsible Beatle-inspired/influenced/bedazzled musician, I too coveted an AC-30 (too). Bit pricey for my skill level.

Stumbled upon the aforementioned 15-watter but with 2 12's, s'posed to essentially be a 15-watt AC-30. Spoke with a bud about it (Andy's also currently Cheryl Crow's gitfiddle tech).

Turns out I was wrong. $#!+. Now STILL wanted an AC-30 but also STILL diggin' on the good stuff of the AC-15. Another issue is the footprint of another amplimino that size in the swelling inventory in my studio. Learned of the existence of the AC-30cch HEAD!

"Hmmm....AC30 uses the same Celestion greenbacks as the AC-15c2."

My amp-tech-type bud has done a reversible mod so's at will, I can bypass the AC15's 'lekticals and power it's speakers with the AC-30 head. Getting the rig home next week. Can't wait to suck on guitar through it.

(Incidentally, the same amp-tech-type bud also currently has in his shop an original EARLY BRITISH AC-10! 1 of 10 in the States. Gawjus condition!)

I bought the ac10 from Sweetwater with a Greenback speaker. Some exclusive think they have. It is pretty fricken sweet!

The Vox has an inherent compression that works with the Penguin. Note attack is very quick. The bass from the amp is impressive! Single notes ring out and chords sound amazing by simply rolling off of the volume on the guitar or softening the pick attack. I think I'll do a little demo video when I have some time.

The Vox has an inherent compression that works with the Penguin. Note attack is very quick. The bass from the amp is impressive! Single notes ring out and chords sound amazing by simply rolling off of the volume on the guitar or softening the pick attack. I think I'll do a little demo video when I have some time.

– Hipbone

Yep, that. I was blown away by the responsiveness and gut-punch effect I got from mine; tone on tap all the way 'round the dial

And, all Y'All talked me down from the clean 1960s something AC30 I found a couple of years back at GC! Just as well. But, I always wonder.

Olivia Anne, go look at the AC10. We won't talk you out of that one.

My issue is that I've worked on Vox Amps for decades now. The new ones are just the Top Boost preamp from the original AC30(which Dick Denny lifted from a Gibson GA77) and then mated to a relative output section. None of the new AC4's, AC10's or AC15's have any of the original models personality. I also dislike the really horrible output transformers and lack of a choke transformer in the power supplies. The output tranny of every valve amp is 40% of the amps' tone and the Korg/Vox amps use ones made to "just get by". they sound good at first and as the tranny breaks-in then they sound awful and harsh. The other issue is a Vox sounds best with a Alnico Celestion period! The Alnico Celestion is the "Vox Sound"

My issue is that I've worked on Vox Amps for decades now. The new ones are just the Top Boost preamp from the original AC30(which Dick Denny lifted from a Gibson GA77) and then mated to a relative output section. None of the new AC4's, AC10's or AC15's have any of the original models personality. I also dislike the really horrible output transformers and lack of a choke transformer in the power supplies. The output tranny of every valve amp is 40% of the amps' tone and the Korg/Vox amps use ones made to "just get by". they sound good at first and as the tranny breaks-in then they sound awful and harsh. The other issue is a Vox sounds best with a Alnico Celestion period! The Alnico Celestion is the "Vox Sound"

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

Blah, blah, blah.
It's the best 10w amp I've ever heard. If the output transformer "breaks in" and sounds like sh$t I'll replace it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation