Other Amps

Good very low wattage amp for White Falcon

Looking for something that's not too loud. Maybe good for recording

Oh boy.

Unless you want recommendations for every sub-20watt amp made (and some others as well), we should probably know more about your needs.

Like what tones you want out of it, whether you're going to want to mic it for recording or go direct somehow, whether you demand tubes or can live with solid state or modeling, if you have any speaker-size preferences, clean or dirty, whose tone you'd like to emulate...and budget.

That might help narrow the field and focus the recommendations.

If you can afford a White Falcon, I suspect you aren't looking for a simple budget amp. It also depends on what your musical tastes are, and what your amp preferences are. Proteus is on the money about what your needs in an amp are.

Going along with WB's conclusions regarding being able to afford a quality amp, while it isn't 15 watts it's 22, Gretsch guitars sound incredibly sweet through the 15" in a Gretsch Executive. Find a nice used one and your tone will be in heaven! they play perfectly at low bedroom volumes too.

Gretsch exec. I played one and it was jaw-droppingly great,.

K

Fender Princeton Reverb with a 12" speaker. The new reissues sound great, not much change in the design from the old ones, and it is not necessary to route for the larger speaker; drill new holes for the mounting screws and drop in your choice of driver. The new reissues do use printed circuit boards and smaller components, but they sound really good. Some people like the single 10", but the 12" makes it a much more useable amp for almost any application.

I bit the bullet and dropped about $1800 on a 1972 silverface one and couldn't be happier with the little beast; cranked up a bit with a Falcon....dreamsville.

DeLisle Nickel Box.....built by our own Mugsy (Jer Delisle). 5 watts, all tube, fullsize cab (20" x 18.75" x 9.5") w/ 12" speaker, optional tube driven reverb and tremolo. Impeccable build quality, looks great, sounds great, not much more $$$ than the mass produced stuff, takes pedals well also.

The answer to this question is always build yourself a tweed Champ.

The one and only. The best sounding amp I‘ve ever played.

Like was stated above, you need to decide what type of tones you’re looking for. A Vox AC 10 is the cats pajamas.

Like was stated above, you need to decide what type of tones you’re looking for. A Vox AC 10 is the cats pajamas.

– Hipbone

Yep, for me, I've had dozens of amps over the years. From POS cheapies, booteeks, vintage "real deals", and everything in between..

I'm with Hipbone on the Vox. Bought an AC10C1VS a few months back, and I'm loving every minute with it.

Again, I'm getting the tones that I've been chasing, and that's all that matters.

Best of luck to the OP in choosing.

Any thoughts on that Vox Mini Superbeetle? Looks really cool with the metal stand and everything. Looks like it should have a plant sitting on top of it. Not sure what the deal is with the so called "nutube" technology though.

I always recommend vintage Airline/Valco amps. They're great amps for the money and sound fantastic - resale is solid too if you decide you don't like it down the road.

I`ve been using my 12W, 1965 Beltone for decades now. Two 8's doesn't exactly give you a lot of bottom end but with the headphone jack, it's a great bedroom (couch) amp.

I also have a Boss JS8, which models most everything out there. Also not a bad couch-er-sizer

The one and only. The best sounding amp I‘ve ever played.

– Stefan

I second the SWART. I have the AST and ST Stereo. Both 5 watt and a dream to hear. I use a NightLight Jr on the AST and crank it to 7 or 8 getting a little dirt at a nice low night playing level.

I say a tube Thomas Vox Pacemaker.. just use a verb pedal on top.

I'm gonna go full throttle with the recommendation of a Princeton 68 custom reissue. I used to love my Vox AC15 twin, but this new Princeton is my favorite amp ive ever had paired with my 53 VS jet. PCB, handwired blah blah blah, nobody can tell the difference when its cranked and rocking!

... aaaaand ... the original poster still hasn't told us what his purposes and needs are for a "very low wattage" amp...

Fender Champ...if you have Filtertrons, plug intot he second input.

I say a tube Thomas Vox Pacemaker.. just use a verb pedal on top.

– DCBirdMan

I’ll second that. I have an early one with the plywood cab and original Mullard tubes. Crazy killer tone.

Register Sign in to join the conversation