Other Amps

Gibson GA-20, GA-30, GA-50; anyone own these?

My cosmetically modified GA-20. It’s a great amp!

My cosmetically modified GA-20. It’s a great amp!

– Bradomatic

Front.

I'll sneak another one in here...my buddy's GA-40. Found at a local yard sale some time ago.

Finally got a pic of my GA50 after picking it up after servicing. I originally said it was a '56 which was incorrect, it's a '48

I’ve had a couple of Gibson amps. They did like using mixed speaker sizes. I’ve seen a 10 + 12, a 8 + 12, and a 8 + 15. I’d like to find another GSS100—2-2X10+HF horns. I had a GA-35RVT and a small 10 watt or so (Falcon?) that was a screamer. Really under appreciated amps IMHO.

Finally got a pic of my GA50 after picking it up after servicing. I originally said it was a '56 which was incorrect, it's a '48

– TommWilliams

It's no secret that I'm a big Jim Hall fan and that was the model he used on most of his early recordings. The radar is always out for one of those amps; yours looks to be in fantastic condition!

Howdy. I have a mid 1964 GA25RVT Hawk with two 10's it looks like this one. Mine needs a hotter power transformer, a 12" and 10" speaker swap some wiring cleanup and the elephant hide tolex taken off. The wood underneath is nice. Fine for jazz, country, blues and rock and or roll if you drive it. Cost me $350 a few years ago but prices are on the rise so buy soon. I have also had an early 2000's GA60RV class B with two 12s and played through my older brother's similar year GA30RV class A with a 10 and 12. Both are fine amps. Gibson made their name in amps before guitars. Link to Gibson amp page http://www.0rigami.com/gg/i... Link to Superior Music Gibson amp page http://superiormusic.org/pa...

There's a dedicated old Gibson amp group on Facebook... got some serious collectors over there.

A 1956 GA-50...wow, and congratulations. I'm curious about the combination of 12" and 8" speaker. The GA-30 had the same I believe. Back in the 1970s I had one of those Gibson tweed stereo amps. It kept giving me shocks, had virtually no headroom, and in rural Nova Scotia there were no amp techs to fix it. I think it wound up in the dump after I moved to Toronto. I completely forgot about it until recently. Young and foolish.

– Journeyman

I mashed up my blondeshell 6L6 power section w a gibson octal tube preamp using 6SQ7 metal envelope tubes (40s gibson) and when w an 8" tonetubby and 12" tonetubby to garner what you would get from an early GA-30. Bettie Blondeshell was an appropriate name, who does love bettie page's smile :). I love what gibson was doing back then w amps that I know Leo was stealing ideas from left and right :)

It's no secret that I'm a big Jim Hall fan and that was the model he used on most of his early recordings. The radar is always out for one of those amps; yours looks to be in fantastic condition!

– Journeyman

It also has the original detachable back panel which apparently are very hard to find.

Register Sign in to join the conversation