Other Amps

FSR Blues Junior western

After 15 years this will be my first post in this section of the forum!

I've recently taken receipt of a Fender Blues Junior amp (single 12" speaker). This one is an FSR from Sweetwater and has a brown simulated tooled-leather covering. I was intending to get the same amp in the Racing green... but this one caught my fancy and bada-bing, we got hitched!

I quickly dialed it in with my MIJ Telecaster...

And then this morning I introduced it to some certified vintage action... my '55 Chet Atkins 6121. Took some tweaking to get the Dyna's sounding good, but I got there!

I got tubes that jingle jangle jingle As I go seeking classic Fender tone...

Congrats. BTW, my brother has the same amp in tweed. Fine little units these are.

Great amps! One of my all-time favorites.

nice amp and even better guitar-amp combination pics!

enjoy

cheers

There was a Deluxe Reverb for sale in my area with that finish not too long ago. Nice look.

That Gretsch is something else though. Is it orange finish that’s faded brown over the decades?

Hey Ed, congrats on the amp!

I have an FSR USA Blues Jr. with cream tolex and ox blood grill cloth, that I bought new many years ago that I really like. I would take it out almost weekly to local open mic jams. What's great with those is they are not heavy (great for an older dude like me) and it's been plenty loud for just about any club (bar/ restaurant) I've been in.

Digging the western tolex on yours! I think you're going to really enjoy it. Cheers!

There was a Deluxe Reverb for sale in my area with that finish not too long ago. Nice look.

That Gretsch is something else though. Is it orange finish that’s faded brown over the decades?

– jalexanderdixon

It's the original finish... so I presume it's just absorbed its share of UV light and nicotine over it's 60+ years. Clearly more brown than other vintage 6121s... actually looks more like a RoundUp.

So far so good with the amp. Seems like my P-90 guitars are the most comfortable thus far, at least with the settings I've been using, and the Telecasters sound pretty great too. I'll be throwing a number of Filtertron equipped guitars at it tomorrow.

I agree with you Metman that having a smaller cabinet and lighter weight is a nice change for me. I'm not really an amp guy, so I've been living with the crappy Fender solid state dual speaker unit I got in the 90's, and it was a boat anchor!

Congrats Ed!! I had western one just like it,the lV version I bought new a few years ago.It was inherently bright and like most people in went a Cannabis Rex and it made it a very nice amp.And I eventually built a ext. cabinet for it then later sold it and bought a DRRI.

And then this morning I introduced it to some certified vintage action... my '55 Chet Atkins 6121. Took some tweaking to get the Dyna's sounding good, but I got there!

– kc_eddie_b

That looks great! Oh, the amp looks nice too.

Nice one Ed. It looks really great with the 6121.

The Blues Junior is really one of the best modern amps you can buy I think. So versatile, so much sound from such a little box. I’ve toured clubs in Europe with one, played some fairly big stages with one around here and it always sounds good provided you can get it cooking a bit.

Congrats Ed!! I had western one just like it,the lV version I bought new a few years ago.It was inherently bright and like most people in went a Cannabis Rex and it made it a very nice amp.And I eventually built a ext. cabinet for it then later sold it and bought a DRRI.

– Michael Williams

It appears these FSR Blues Junior IV units from Sweetwater already have the Cannabis Rex speakers installed.

It appears these FSR Blues Junior IV units from Sweetwater already have the Cannabis Rex speakers installed.

– kc_eddie_b

My mistake Ed...mine was the lll model ,the first western run from Sweetwater.I see the new ones also went back to the original BJR handle too.Mine had the dog bone handle.And since it does have the CRex in it I’m sure it does sound good ...which is really all mine needed.I was told from a tech at Emi that the Fender/Emi speaker I had was basically a Governor.A great speaker but man did it ever clash with single coils.

– kc_eddie_b

IMO, a great upgrade for THAT amp. If mine had had a C-Rex in it, I might have kept it. The CR is my all-time favorite speaker. I have one that's been in 3 amps so far... the amps go, but the speaker DOES NOT!

I will visit your sharing regularly, I hope to cooperate with you. time calculator

– chu

Don't bother.

Register Sign in to join the conversation