Other Amps

First gig with the Bassman

Whoa! Jumped the normal and bright channels and used my SSLVO. Tone I have been dreaming about. The sound from this amp just fills the room in a 3D type of way, without necessarily being loud.

Great amp ... thicknsweet sounding even at low volume

What year is your Bassman.. Can I do this with my 63?

– SLICKFASTER

Brand new. ‘59 reissue.

yes! The 3D thing, I use it in my bedroom at low volume and that 3D/Swirly sound is something that I have never heard before. My 68 DR sits asleep next to it

– SLICKFASTER

Mine is 63 and I love it low volume.

Cool. Plus 1 on what Bob Howard said.

– SLICKFASTER

Most likely not.You can jumper channels on blackface Fenders,and on the tweed reissues,but on a brownface,there's some kind of phase cancellation when you get both channel volumes at the same level.My March '64 Bassman(smooth blond/black faceplate/barrel knobs) does the phase cancellation thingie too.

What DaveH is describing is the effect of the number of gain stages in an amp. Each gain stage inverts the signal, and if you put a signal and the same signal inverted together they are exact opposites so cancel each other out. In a tweed Bassman or Marshall Plexi (basically the same circuit) you can link the two channels together and get a thicker tone because the channels are just opposite triodes in a 12a*7 tube - the channels have exactly the same number of gain stages.

A lot of Brown and BF Fenders have a different number of gain stages between the channels, for example a Super Reverb has a normal channel and a "bright" channel which adds reverb and tremolo which adds an odd number of gain stages to the bright channel. That means that the two channels are now out of phase with each other. If you were to install the speakers in a 2x12 cab with their polarities opposite to each other you would hear a similar effect too.

That's so cool! It's a tremendous sound! The amp I brought to Nashville last year was a '57 5E6 Bassman. The 5F6 is a little louder and more aggressive. They all sound glorious!

FWIW, Barber Electronics makes the Launch Pad, which is both a muscular clean boost and a two-amp (or two-channel) negotiator - and one of the outputs to amp (or channel) is polarity-reversed. One of the things it's specifically built for is jumping channels on Fenders whose chans are otherwise out of phase.

It's also a buffer. Not real handsome, but it's quite utilitarian. I've had one for a looong time, and it's occasionally just the thing. I tried the both-channels trick with my blackfaced silverface Deluxe, and it works "a treat." (I'm not really British, it's just so colourful.)

Read all about it here: http://www.barberelectronic...

FWIW, Barber Electronics makes the Launch Pad, which is both a muscular clean boost and a two-amp (or two-channel) negotiator - and one of the outputs to amp (or channel) is polarity-reversed. One of the things it's specifically built for is jumping channels on Fenders whose chans are otherwise out of phase.

It's also a buffer. Not real handsome, but it's quite utilitarian. I've had one for a looong time, and it's occasionally just the thing. I tried the both-channels trick with my blackfaced silverface Deluxe, and it works "a treat." (I'm not really British, it's just so colourful.)

Read all about it here: http://www.barberelectronic...

– Proteus

That would be a great tool! Probably defeats ground loops too.

The Fenders that you can NOT jumper channels with are the ones with reverb. Basically the reverb throws the signal from that channel out of phase with the other. So it tends to be blackface Fenders. There is a mod you can do to blackface Fenders with reverb to allow for reverb on both channels. It's pretty simple. Just a jumper wire. Once you do that both channels are also back in phase again and you can also jumper them.

As for the swirly "3D" sound...my guess is that it's created by the variation in sound because the signal is split into two different tube preamps and then later recombined before the power stage. Any subtle variations in signal generation creates some phasing issues.

Register Sign in to join the conversation