Other Amps

Fender Pro Jr Redoux

Not sure if I shared this before. A customer traded this for a custom build. I think they sound lousy, so I gutted the amp and hand-wired in an abbreviated 1974x circuit. Also made a new thin plywood baffle, lacquered the tweed and stuck a Celestion Vin10 inside. Whole different animal now.

From the back. I kept the chassis and transformers, everything else is new. Zero floor noise, super touch sensitive.

Circuit close-up.

The customer loved it so much he bought it back. He used the amp in his Vince Gill "Take Me Down" audition video.

Man, that's really cool and GREAT sounding!!

Thanks JB. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Stephan is a pretty good player.

Love the playing. Love the sound. I think I'll better go practicing. Do you think that amp and its new circuit design would profit from a bigger pine amp cabinet?

In my opinion, absolutely. There are some that prefer the tight, focused Hi-Fi sound of a stiff, dense particle board cabinet. I'm just not one.

I've made a couple big pine cabinets for guys here and done A/B comparisons using the same amp in both cabs. Pretty much unanimous consensus that a larger pine box is a big improvement. This amp in a big pine cab with a Celestion Vin30 is just amazing....and really loud.

Thanks. The amp sounds great as is and I do believe that in another cab it might not even sound much better mic'd but would be amazing when you're in the same room.

The reason this amp is visiting me is two-fold. One, I have been asked to make a bigger pine replacement cab for a Pro Jr and I neeed to measure the chassis so it will fit. Two, I am in the process of making a short run of "drop in replacement" amps that will fit into any Pro Jr cabinet, so again I needed the chassis to blue print a run of new chassis. This way I can make any number of amps that share the same tube count and minimalist control panel. Marshall 1974x, Vox AC15, 60's Gibson Skylark, Supro Model 24, etc.

@ 4:08 - the intro riff from "Rhiannon."

Finally getting around to the Pro Jr replacement cab. Pine box, dovetail joints and a Gretschy speaker cutout.

Nice! I really like those half-blind dovetails. May have to steal that for myself.

Not just purty but better than a finger joint for amp cabinets.

Could we get a close up of the dovetails?

Oh yeah--I'll make that sing. Cant wait.

Will this be tolexed?

Yes. Going for this look.

That's so rad. I want to do one like this with a 15 to turn my head into a combo. I'm really curious to see how you get the tolex around those front corners.

Done it a bunch of times.

That looks really great. I can see how it's actually easier to do it two tone like that so you don't have to extend the cut corner on the tweed. Or something like that.

So is the baffle L-shaped? Screwed in from the back?

Sorry I have so many questions

I use three separate pieces to cover the cab regardless of Tolex type. Too difficult to do it with one big piece. Then the big piece in the middle does one big wrap.

The baffle is L shaped and screwed in from the back. I put a real smooth radius on the outside bend of the 90 so the grillecloth glides smoothly when stretching. If it catches, your lines end up all wonky.

Different speakers, same approach.

Too cool! I have one more question, then I'll let you get back to your regularly scheduled thread: does the cabinet front have that rabbet going all around? Is it just glued on? Does the box taper at all? Ok, maybe that was more than one question. Thanks!

Register Sign in to join the conversation