Other Amps

Fender loses their mind

"only one built"....I can see why.

Just the weird stuff in guitars also... inverted Flying V and Strats... wtf

I'll take the Tolex off my amp and pull a Jimi Hendrix and I'll have an amp like that CS amp.

The ad's been running for two years, which speaks for itself.

It's a wild hare for FMIC, with the only downside being the derision of people like us: it cost very little (if any) more to build, and is surely more profitable.

Also, I see it's being sold by a dealer, and who knows what he paid for it? My guess it was a NAMM show display, and the dealer bought a whole package. Or, as it's listed as Mint and not New, maybe the dealer took it in on a trade and is wholly responsible for the optimistic and opportunistic price madness. We have no idea what he spent for it.

The world keeps proving over and over and over again (in many millions) that PT Barnum was right. The amp doesn't take up much space in the dealer's inventory, and he can either wait for his sucker or keep cutting the price till the firewood sells.

(I can't find a date for the amp itself, but the Custom Shop COA tells us the forest fire which finished the cabinet was in 2013. No telling how long this forlorn first-world artifact has been pitifully beseeching someone to take it home.)

I’ve spent hundreds of hours picking thru lumber warehouses, searching for “that” board to make an amp cabinet. I can appreciate the time spent filling in the cracks and voids to make enough lumber for one cab. Juniper and mesquite are a headache to work with but yield beautiful cabs. But to go thru all that trouble and slap it together with basic miter butt joints is a shame. Not the hallmark of a master cabinet builder. Looks like a high school shop project.

Just because you can do something does NOT mean that you should!

I didn’t know there were one off Custom Shop amps.

I wish you could order something like the guitars.

A burnt speaker cab? Whatever - I guess?!!!

I can smell the cab just by looking at it on the screen.

Dad used to say, Nobody ever went broke underestimating Americans.

Must be seller outlook, also

Some of em like Gary out in Ohio, etc -- they have hi-end prices and will wait years... years for the right person who wants that exact thing as presented and who is willing to $hell out for it

Somewhere in this vast land of our even vast land somewhere else, exists one person who digs this Burnt Cab Scene and will pay up for it.

So this seller is playing a waiting game.

I wouldn’t buy it, but I rather like it. Not sure them burnt parts would hold up to gigging?

People go crazy over “cowboy”amps but turn up their nose at this?

I live in Arizona, and that burnt wood is pretty easy to find. We have a wildfire or two ever year, and juniper and mesquite are the species that typically get toasted. I've milled mesquite a few times. It's extremely dense and hard, and has spectacularly figured grain. It chips and splits easily and can only be nailed with pilot holes.

Well, if you've got money to burn, then I guess this is definitely your baby...

Come on man! A little Gold Piping and you guys would be drooling over this....

But to go thru all that trouble and slap it together with basic miter butt joints is a shame. Not the hallmark of a master cabinet builder. Looks like a high school shop project. - Powdog

I get your point, but in looking at it, could you get this effect with anything other than a miter joint?

But to go thru all that trouble and slap it together with basic miter butt joints is a shame. Not the hallmark of a master cabinet builder. Looks like a high school shop project. - Powdog

I get your point, but in looking at it, could you get this effect with anything other than a miter joint?

– Afire

I agree with you, afire. It may not be the strongest joint, but it is really well executed and looks great. I'd bet that it's well braced on the inside. It's not meant for the road, obviously. It might not be everyone's cup o' tea, but it is a one of a kind cab that someone would want.

Sure. It’s called a “one board cab”. The grain follows the cabinet around the corners, weather you dovetail them or butt joint and nail them.

Does anyone remember the man that had quite a guitar collection (lots of Guilds?) and built his own exotic wood speaker cabinets? He lived in southern Virginia. Lovely work.

Masterbuilt = Masterburnt, which mean YOU can't do it.

Hence, the hefty price!

Addendum: It can't be duplicated!!!

...------

I noticed there was also a set of amps with leftover wood from the USS Constitution, all done up like they would fit on your luxury yacht.

[With arrow knobs.]

https://www.fender.com/arti...

Another fine example. I like rustic as much as the next guy, but this has Sam Maloof rolling in his grave.

Register Sign in to join the conversation