Other Amps

Fender Excelsior fuse blow(s)

Hey guys my Excelsior is blowing fuses as fast as I can replace them (I've only tried two replacements). I've read somewhere that this could be a sign I need new power tubes, and maybe first try resetting them?

Any suggestions on what I do first? And note this amp has gotten very very little attention, like it probably has less than 25 hours of use (but it's not anywhere near new). Thanks

Make sure the tubes are seated all the way. If it still pops fuses, get it to a amp tech. There are a few things that could be causing the issue.

the first thing to do, is to stop replacing the fuse...if the proper one was in there when it first blew, and you replaced it with a correct fuse and it blew again...then STOP THERE!...you can do more serious damage to the amps components by turning it on over and over....

the fuse blows when theres a failure in the circuit...

a common cause is that one of the power tubes failed and took out some resistors...(as i mentioned in the recent supro thread here)...but really can be anything

unplug it and have it serviced...somethings fried!

luck

cheers

The Sino power tubes they put in there are pretty low end. One may have shorted. If that doesn't take care of the issue, take it to a tech.

Thanks guys, I'm going to get some new power tubes, if that don't fix it then off to the amp guy

I usually just replace the fuse with a .22 LR round.

Does it have a tube rectifier? That's the most likely culprit, especially if it's Chinese.

I usually just replace the fuse with a .22 LR round.

– NJBob

I think Elvis cured a TV using this method.

neatone, has great advice, if it's blowing fuses, it has an internal failure that will need an electronics technician to sort out. It could be one (or several) things that are causing the fuse to blow ie bad power tubes (or any other tube with a short) bad rectifier, bad IP or OP transformer, bad electrolytic capacitors etc.

If you are still having problems after changing the tubes, you'll need to have a tech look at it.

Similarly, my excelsior tremelo stopped working one day. Amp has less than 15 hours and has never been on longer than 2 hours. And the tremelo is rarely used. I don't think I'd pay for a new tremelo for an amp this cheap.

neatone, has great advice, if it's blowing fuses, it has an internal failure that will need an electronics technician to sort out. It could be one (or several) things that are causing the fuse to blow ie bad power tubes (or any other tube with a short) bad rectifier, bad IP or OP transformer, bad electrolytic capacitors etc.

If you are still having problems after changing the tubes, you'll need to have a tech look at it.

– Wade H

Yeah I plan to change the stock tubes and if that doesn't fix it then off to an amp guy.

Similarly, my excelsior tremelo stopped working one day. Amp has less than 15 hours and has never been on longer than 2 hours. And the tremelo is rarely used. I don't think I'd pay for a new tremelo for an amp this cheap.

– shane kislack

I sometimes put stupid money into my gear. I had my amp guy add a depth button/function to the tremolo so now I have speed and depth controls. It's super cool. Sorry yours stopped functioning.

the excelsior only uses 4 tubes...2 6v6 power tubes and 2 12ax7 pre amp tubes...first is the gain stage and the second is for phase inverter and probably the trem...

it's got an ss rectifier

i'd think that mr.c's trouble is from the 2 6v6's...a short in one may have burned a screen/grid resistor...causing it to blow fuses

for the pre-amp you may want to try using a 12ay7 in the first position for a little more flexibility with the single vol control

to shane who has one with dead trem..might wanna change the 12ax7 in the second preamp position

luck fellows

cheers

Register Sign in to join the conversation