Other Amps

Fender Deluxe Reverb Re issue speaker swap.

Have a stock Fender Deluxe Reverb amp bought used revolved with JJs and all fine apart from occasional dislike of the hi end sometimes rather shrill, It has the stock speaker Blue made in Italy special design they seem to use in all the mid range current lines. Has any body tried a Celestion A type looking for a more balanced tone, clean.

a WGS G12C is a really nice speaker for a DRRI, not too expensive either. And if you're really treble-phobic, get the smooth cone version.(G12C/S)

I would bet just switching out to alnico would tame the high end. Jensen P12N,,,Maybe even a beefy Rola.

I just switched the spkr in my '66 Deluxe Reverb from a JBL K120 (which I liked, but probably was too "hi-fi" for many) to a Celestion Neo G12 creamback. My main goal was to find a decent sounding speaker that was substantially lighter (in weight, I mean) from the JBL. The Neo fits the bill. However, I did lose some of that top end that many players find somewhat harsh, giving me a more mid-focused sound. It's a cool speaker, and did I mention that it's light?

Link

a WGS G12C is a really nice speaker for a DRRI, not too expensive either. And if you're really treble-phobic, get the smooth cone version.(G12C/S)

– WB

I have one in my 1964 Deluxe. Can’t imagine a better sounding speaker and can be had cheep (ish). Here’s one on Reverb.

I’ve always loved a genuine Jensen C12N with the 12 rib pulp cone in a PR or DR. Nice balance of chime and warmth. They’re out there.

A Weber 12F150 with the same cone is pretty close.

Eminence legends are a good fender sounding speaker, inexpensive too

Not sure which reissue you have, the 65 or the 68 ? The 65 DR came with a Jensen C 12K, and the 68 DR came with the Celestion G12V-70 . My Brother has the 65 and I have the 68, so I've heard and played them both. For my money the Celestion fits much better in the 68 especially with the Custom (first) channel . I actually tried a couple of others, including vintage versions with my 68, and I stayed with the Celestion. In my opinion, the 68 DR ( and the 68 Princeton for that matter), are the best reissues that Fender has ever offered and well worth the dough.

The C12N and Celestion Vintage 30 both sound REALLY great in a DR.

I'm with Walter. That WGS G12C is a fine speaker, would most likely be excellent in the DRRI.

The DRRI I have had already been modded and has a Celestion G12H 70th anniversary, I like it, but I haven't (ever) spent time doing speaker swaps. I'm about to get into a medium/high volume situation this weekend so I may be revisiting this thread for some recommendations.

GDP is the best....

The Eminence George Alessandro might be a good idea as well. Jensen-style but nicer and bigger sounding than the Italian Jensens.

This discussion is useful to me as well.

I have a '65 DRRI with a 1963 Jensen C12R USA speaker. Way too thin and trebly.

Swapped to a used but recently made Italian Jensen C12K. I thought it would tame the highs, but not enough. I have an extended cab with a JBL D130F in it that sounds pretty good when used with the DRRI and mainly stick to that for cleans.

Maybe I'll try a V30--love them in the bassman cab.

This discussion is useful to me as well.

I have a '65 DRRI with a 1963 Jensen C12R USA speaker. Way too thin and trebly.

Swapped to a used but recently made Italian Jensen C12K. I thought it would tame the highs, but not enough. I have an extended cab with a JBL D130F in it that sounds pretty good when used with the DRRI and mainly stick to that for cleans.

Maybe I'll try a V30--love them in the bassman cab.

– Jack Skellington

Hey Jack. It sounds like an Eminence Cannabis Rex could be what you are looking for. A very versatile speaker that doesn't cut but smooths out the highs in a DR. I have one in my Silverface DR and it's great. Quite efficient and loud, though.

Thanks for the input and interesting to see the range of possible swops.The amp is the 65 reissue, I bought it used from Germany and it had lots of issues when it arrived, needed a re valve ,had a concoction of alternatives in it and also eventually found a broken pin in one of the main tube sockets that fell out whilst cleaning and checking soldering etc. The reverb would start to hum and whistle like a underground train, eventually all sorted and I reckon the stock speaker has been thrashed. I tried the C V30 which sounded good and Ive ordered a Celestion A type to try and will follow up.Many thanks .Rod

I tried a Cannabis Rex in my original 64 DR and found the bass to be absolutely overwhelming. It sounds fabulous in my Blues Jr., but I went back to a Vintage 30 in the DR. (This was with JJ 6V6S tubes, so the bass was somewhat enhanced already.)

I would love to hear an Eminence Wheelhouse 150 in a DR. Pricey and overpowered, but I love the way one sounds in an extension cab.

Register Sign in to join the conversation