Other Equipment

Interesting - ZerO Glide Nuts

Innnnnteresting.

http://www.stewmac.com/Mate...

The easy way to install a nut, and accurate string height is built in.

Better tuning, better open string tone The zero fret approach reduces string contact in the nut by 93%. Strings glide freely on the polished fret, and return to tune fast and reliably.

No modification needed No cutting or changing your guitar. You can switch back to your conventional nut if you ever feel like it. Fretboard radius is not an issue: choose the ZerO Glide that fits your guitar, and the zero fret flexes to conform to your fretboard.

Available preslotted for most string spacings, and unslotted for any situation.

$30.00

The upside I see is that the distance from zero fret to string spacing guide(nut) is diminished, this should help against having the string rake across the zero fret with severe string benders. Not sure I like that the fret "conforms" to existing fretboard radius, and the fret doesn't appear to be pressed in. Looks like it might take some careful fitting, think I might give it a try on one of my guitars, easily reversed.

I wonder if the fret comes in different heights. It's a fine line between "string height built in" and "you can't adjust it to your taste without knowing how to crown and polish frets."

Yeah looks like different frets come in the kit

I saw this on email this morning. Pretty cool.

So it's a smooth tang?

When I see some of the StewMac stuff sometimes I wanna make it myself.

What's the difference between a Chet Atkins aluminum nut alone and the combination of a metal zero fret with a bone or synthetic nut/string spacer? It seems to me like combining the bone or synthetic nut/string spacer and zero fret into a single unit made of metal would give you something like a Chet Atkins nut?

And yes they should be adjustable for string height and spacing, be installable without modification to your guitar and also removable. It would also be nice it they had a cigarette/drink holder feature for that Keith Richards look.

What's the difference between a Chet Atkins aluminum nut alone and the combination of a metal zero fret with a bone or synthetic nut/string spacer? It seems to me like combining the bone or synthetic nut/string spacer and zero fret into a single unit made of metal would give you something like a Chet Atkins nut?

And yes they should be adjustable for string height and spacing, be installable without modification to your guitar and also removable. It would also be nice it they had a cigarette/drink holder feature for that Keith Richards look.

– piratesrule

Aluminum - note correct spelling! - is much softer than any string material so a lot of bending will wear it down, a plastic nut or [ridiculous term] "synthetic bone" as well. This zero fret will stand up much better to wear and tear. Just replace it, and not the nut when it needs it. Use stainless steel and I can't see you ever wearing it out.

A good luthier could make this for you and space the new nut to your specifications and install your choice of height zero fret and crown it for your choice of action height.

That actually looks like it might work. What a great idea!

Good idea. But do I see it correctly that the centre of the fret will be behind where the edge of the nut normally would be?
Wouldn't you ideally cut the nut slot exactly at the edge of the nut? That means you would also be cutting in to the fretboard (half the tang). But it looks like they just put it behind the exact position. Or would the tang of these frets not be centered?

Edit: I went to the website and the tang of the fret is indeed not centered. Good idea!

Isn't this what they've been putting on those awful new Gibsons with the Robo-tuners?

I like the idea but think one should get a unit unslotted and pay a tech to fit it to your own personal guitar. The zero fret concept is an idea that should be a no brainer

Probably if you buy one intended for a strat or a tele, the slots are already fine and dandy. Or Gibson version if you need one for that.

I wonder how fast the zero fret will worn.

Probably if you buy one intended for a strat or a tele, the slots are already fine and dandy. Or Gibson version if you need one for that.

I wonder how fast the zero fret will worn.

– ChesterTheThird

As I said above in post #8, if you use Stainless Steel, you'd be awfully hard pressed to wear it out, ever.

Remember too, that with a zero fret, the nut material has little if any effect, same as pins on an acoustic, on sustain or tone as that job is now the responsibility of the 'new' nut, the zero fret.

As I said above in post #8, if you use Stainless Steel, you'd be awfully hard pressed to wear it out, ever.

– Windsordave

Yes you did, but I haven't seen what material this Zero Glide gadget is made of.

Ok, now I found it: "The Zero Glide Nut System features a unique nickel silver fret harder than a conventional fret to prevent wear from the strings."

Since it seems you have to glue one to it's place maybe you could use stainless steel fret wire instead.

Lots of tuning issues go away forever!

Yet, again, something new to buy and try...

Although, while not made for every model guitar, the LSR roller nut is still available at Warmoth.

"Isn't this what they've been putting on those awful new Gibsons with the Robo-tuners?"

I don't think so. From what I have seen the Gibson version is all metal. I had wondered why they went to that horrible looking nut and it just occurred to me it's because of that stupid autotuning thing. A regular Gibson nut would be a nightmare with the autotuning setup.

Register Sign in to join the conversation