Other Amps

FENDER BLONDE AMPS ORIGINAL SPEC QUESTION

Did Fender use TUNG-SOL tubes as OEM in 1962?

Was the inside of the pine cabinet died with a transparent red coating?

Check out this ALL ORIGINAL 1962 Twin Amp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/196...

The tubes and cabinet seem off

My brand new 1962 Concert Amp came with TungSol 5881's, and the inside had a reddish stain, although not nearly as dark as the stain on that amp. I'm not sure whether D120F's were available yet.

The red stain looks weird, I wonder if it's just the color balance of the photos.

For $15k, I'd want to see some transformer and chassis interior pix also. (Actually, I want to see them anyway!)

The red stain has bled thru the paper label, so, maybe...

Tug-Sol could easily have been original. The Altec D-120s would've been an upgrade.

Still, $15K is pretty salty.

Haven't seen the red stain before, but it wouldn't be surprising to be some sort of sealant on the later amps

The real reason Fender moved away from blonde tolex was because sap from knots would bleed through.

I love the knots when they bleed through the tolex. Such great folk art when I see these.

Back around 1975 I worked in a music store and a guy brought in a white Twin Amp with a serial # 0000XX

A noble beast but no amp is worth 15K unless it has provenance.

Never knew the blond tolex story (bleeds thru) but there were whites and browns conncurrently at least for a while.

Haven't seen the red stain before, but it wouldn't be surprising to be some sort of sealant on the later amps

The real reason Fender moved away from blonde tolex was because sap from knots would bleed through.

– Kap'n

looks like a cig burn to me. rest on the edge or rest on the handle when flat :)

That odd Tolex stains could be from components that burned up. Cigarette burns are much narrower.

looks like a cig burn to me. rest on the edge or rest on the handle when flat :)

– TheNocturneBrain.com™

There's another one under the handle.

That odd Tolex stains could be from components that burned up. Cigarette burns are much narrower.

– wabash slim

You can typically line them up with knots visible inside the cabinet

The red stain has bled thru the paper label, so, maybe...

Tug-Sol could easily have been original. The Altec D-120s would've been an upgrade.

Still, $15K is pretty salty.

– wabash slim

Altec? They look like JBL's to me.

Right---old man eyes and brain. I always lump JBL, Altec, and Altec/Lansing together. Those are D-131Fs, according to the label. Had to blow it up to see it.

My 62 pro is natural wood inside and it does have several knots bleeding through which I think lends originality to the amp. Interesting that this amp shows no bleed through but we don't see the sides either. Thanks John

The 62 Bandmaster I have has Amperex and Sylvania tubes. I bought the amp off of the original owner in the mid 1980s and have not changed a tube ever. I expect though that any tubes of the time of quality would have ended up in a Fender amp at the time.

– wabash slim

I meant cigar, cigarettes are girly. :)

– Kap'n

You sure that ain't a cigarette burn?

My 62 pro is natural wood inside and it does have several knots bleeding through which I think lends originality to the amp. Interesting that this amp shows no bleed through but we don't see the sides either. Thanks John

– powerwagonjohn

is it blonde or brown...in 1962 the Pro was Brown

never seen a blonde Pro

I have 8 or 9 blondes, the TWIN is refurb cabinet, the rest all original...I'm gonna check them AND the 1962 Brown Pro for sap marks.

As for this $15,000 closet queen

the tolex, cabinet, and speakers are all suspect to me

I'm skeptical at best....

Red stain looks too dark but could be an artifact of the photography. $15 large is a lot for ANY amp

It also darkens up if you wipe it off with a damp rag before taking the photos. When I was building Fender clones back in the mid-seventies, I used a diluted mahogany stain to match the color.

I'm a firm believer that extraordinary condition warrants a hefty premium, but this is about double the going rate from the last time I was paying attention a couple of years back. Way too much, IMO.

You sure that ain't a cigarette burn?

– Rey Allen (Jeff O)

I already asked that, you gotta come up with another one. :)

Looks like an early '62 to me.I can't make up my mind if the red inside is stain or a lighting artifact.I've had five brownface Fender amps over the years(still have 4 of them!) and none of them were stained-all unfinished wood.A little iffy about that rough blonde Tolex,though.It's period-correct but almost TOO perfect,and it isn't "pine-kissed".You'd expect some knots to be there-and to show through.

Register Sign in to join the conversation