Other Amps

Fender blackface tone

Hi,

I'm looking for a poor mans approach to a reasonable sparkly clean fender tone at very low bedroom volumes.

Would the excelsior or blues jr get close to this? (i know the excelsior gets dirty pretty quick, but im talkin nighttime apartment volume)

I'd look for an old Silverface Champ or Vibro Champ. If you get half lucky, you'll find one cheaper than a Blues Jr, and it'll have that tone you're looking for. Still too loud for "nighttime apartment volume, but your two choices are way too loud for that)

Fender G-DEC 3 Fifteen @ under $200.00 everywhere. Yes, it is solid state, but try one before you rule it out. Also, one of the new Fender Mustangs.

umm.. hmm Walter is right on. my early 70s Vibro Champ is amazing. So look for that, a champ or bronco from back then. Maybe a musicmaster bass amp (i also have that and it's great).

new? well for loud gigs i got a Fender 212r. I wanted power and low cost, etc. But it seems that they really nailed a decent sounds. a ittle more rounded and a little less brittle than other solid states. I thnk Fender has a 25 watt version.. try that?

Another small amp i have, not fender, is the Vox Pathfinder 15r. Plenty of good sound at low volume and around $100.

Looking and listening is free, so you owe it to yourself, Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I got Fender Princeton Recording. Great both for very low volume bedroom practicing (it has a power attenuator) and for gigging too. Unfortunately Fender stopped producing it as soon as I know.

Yes to both what Walter and Bear said (I know, contradictory right?). Those Silverface Champ/Vibro Champ amps are kick ass, but loud enough once you dial in some grit to piss off your neighbors.

The GDEC I had was a generation older than the one Bear has, but it had some great Fender models in it (go figure). I gave it away, not because I didn't like it, but because a friend of mine was shopping for a guitar for her son, and couldn't afford to do both. I found her a smoking deal on a Fender Standard Strat and gave him the amp so he'd have a decent guitar and an amp ;-)

If I were in the market, I'd consider a GDEC in a minute for indoor, small room practice/recording type of applications.

If you want gigging blackface deluxe reverb Tone for cheap, find an old 80's peavey bravo. The bravo sounds sounds pretty much exactly the same as a deluxe, and is head and shoulders above most other peaveys of the era. Best of all they generally sell for $200

It's not a real tube amp, but I'm in love with my Mustang 1 with a 57 deluxe simulation that sounds killer. I explain it all in the long video (9:53) on my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/rock...

I also suggest the new Gdec or mustang amps. My neighbors don't appreciate my Twin Reverb when I feel like playing at 11 at night. My Gdec fits the bill perfectly. The amps sound great and so do the effects.

I thought Twin Reverbs only go to 10.

I've heard great things about the Bravo, but haven't heard one yet. My Peavey Delta Blues gets blackfacey when I turn down the mids.

hey get a fender FRONT MAN 25 , that will give you BLACKFACE TONE it has a clean tone and a overdrive channel for about 100.00 or 125.00 new love mine for just playing around !

I thought Twin Reverbs only go to 10.

Yeah, but 10 on a Twin is 15 or 16 on a lesser amp.

Hey.. i kinda agree with Rejean...

I was looking for a simple workhorse to play the bars here around chicago. Don't want a beer dumped in the old Sound City. Strictly looking at watts for the price and ease of use.

I like the larger Frontman 212r because i can hae clean or distorted. I never liked those amps b/c it seems when i went from clean to gain, there was always a jump in volume..

Cut to the chase: it seems that Fender really did a great job at shaping the solid state amp to a tube sound. Sure.. they are different, i can't deny that. but it really is a great quality to what they've dialed in.

The smaller front man, heck yeah. Looking and trying it out is free. Give it a shot, may just be what you're looking for.

Mustangs, GDecs and Vibrochamp XDs. All will do the Blackface tone and for a reasonable price... and at a reasonable volume.

Fender's modelling sounds so much better these days.

I think the Blues JR and Excelsior will be too loud as well (although I own a Blues JR and am jonesing for an Excelsior, but neither for quiet at home playing).

A nice Silverface Champ or Vibrochamp is an excellent suggestion. Although, you will have a little less flexibility with a Champ, over one of the new modelling amps.

I bought a Mustang I. Every fibre of me screams that it's wrong for me to have a solid state amp, especially a "modelling amp" in the house, but what can you do? Cold tubes don't sound great, and you can't turn anything up in our place without people yelling. The Mustang 1 sounds great even quiet, and the Twin Reverb and Champ models are awesome.

I tend to think of "modeling" amps as more of a computer with a big speaker. I have zero interest.

considering the electronics i design are so small and teeny and i have no interest in popping open the 212r open to see whats in there -I'm sure it's a programmed chip with the "sound" in it -it's not like the old "pure" amplifiction circuits from way back.

but the operation of just plugging in and setting tone and volume and done or a 212 is great.

I tend to think of "modeling" amps as more of a computer with a big speaker. I have zero interest.

considering the electronics i design are so small and teeny and i have no interest in popping open the 212r open to see whats in there -I'm sure it's a programmed chip with the "sound" in it -it's not like the old "pure" amplifiction circuits from way back.

but the operation of just plugging in and setting tone and volume and done or a 212 is great.

– so1om

– so1om

But you do know that the programmed chip in your 212 is a computer, right? :P

If you can't go vintage with a 70's Champ, get a Vibrochamp XD. You can go through it straight, and it's sweet blackface tone at bedroom volumes.

Sure. But there is only "one sound" that the amp makes and they can tweak the cab and speakers to get the sound they want. As you know, the cab and speakers can be tailored to a specific "sound" or two, but not a whole bunch.

so to tie back to the original post, "poor mans approach to a reasonable sparkly clean fender tone at very low bedroom volumes. " the Frontman 25 is at least worth checking out. It's free to do that, it's worth it before parting with your money, etc.

i myself already have a SF vibro and a newer Vox Pathfinder. If i had to find a small amp, the short list for that Fender tone would be the Frontman, the Mustang 1 and then...?

Register Sign in to join the conversation