Other Amps

Fender amps in The Modern World

Well the Bassman, Princeton, Deluxe and tweeds are still around. Gone are storied names from the past, ie Showman, Bandmaster, Super Reverb, etc.. Surprised they still do a Twin Reverb -- all I am seeing anywhere are really nice silver panel ones pretty cheap. Plenty of choice... somewhere there is a demand or this would not be in the lineup. I heard the Bassbreaker models (I like the little 007) were a flop but they are still here.

Then there are also alll these Modern World models... and limited edition hi-end stuff

https://www.fender.com/prod...

I do like that they are offering P-to-P amps again.

What about the SS deluxe ?,,that's 'solid state.'

I think for a long time, the Dual Showman was coveted by working guitar players who wanted to be Regarded as serious professional musicians. Not a budget model by any means. What today compares? Not sure anyone needs or wants that kind of headroom, or wattage, anymore. As for the Super Reverb, I still use mine at home when the mood strikes.

Fender hand soldered amps are still the gold standard. Always a joy to play and work on.

I haven't played my super in a few years. now I mostly play the vibrolux , or the stereo deluxe reverb I made. I tried the SS deluxe reverb, It sure was light but frankly didn't sound good, However I don't like an amp without a mid control.

i think if they're going to make it light they should make it smaller as well. Size does matter!

Now that Class D is finding its way into instrument amps,all that Detroit Iron is looking as cutting-edge as a Seventies Cadillac 472,and feeling just as heavy. I do like it that the ToneMaster Twin and Deluxe Reverbs kept the BF cosmetics, while losing all the poundage.....If I still had my 95 pound 180 watt '76 Super Twin I'm sure I'd treasure it,but I'm just as sure it would stay at home.

Dang never knew about a solid state Deluxe, but even the 22 watt model is too loud for me. I just went down from 12 watts to 9 watts.

I have a/b/c a 6 watt Champ, 9 watt Musicmaster bass, and 12 watt Princeton and there is a difference.

Fender hand soldered amps are still the gold standard. Always a joy to play and work on.

– Powdog

But they haven't made a VibroChamp Reverb

Which is what Our World Needs.

the trend as we all get older is towards lighter more portable amps..who can lug a dual showman head and cab around these days?!!

fender princetons..which were once considered almost a student amp, are now most sought after

fender just released a pricey hand wired version

cheers

I have a '65 Bandmaster with a single 15 as my desktop amp! It's way more than I'll ever need, but still sounds great at low volumes.

– DCBirdMan

One of these days....

never knew about a solid state Deluxe, but even the 22 watt model is too loud for me. I just went down from 12 watts to 9 watts.

If by "solid state," you mean the new Tone Master series, the Deluxe version dials down to .2 watts. Probably low enough for you.

And in side-by-side tests, more than half of blind listeners prefer the Tone Master to the tube model. Having heard them live - and owning a blackfaced (and JB-modded) SF Deluxe - I do too.

https://shop.fender.com/en-...

Unless the thread is for tube nostalgia...in which case that train has left the station, and I missed it.

never knew about a solid state Deluxe, but even the 22 watt model is too loud for me. I just went down from 12 watts to 9 watts.

If by "solid state," you mean the new Tone Master series, the Deluxe version dials down to .2 watts. Probably low enough for you.

And in side-by-side tests, more than half of blind listeners prefer the Tone Master to the tube model. Having heard them live - and owning a blackfaced (and JB-modded) SF Deluxe - I do too.

https://shop.fender.com/en-...

Unless the thread is for tube nostalgia...in which case that train has left the station, and I missed it.

– Proteus

I had a Blues Cube with that lo-power thing and it sounded squishy. Maybe Fender is better. I don't have tube nostalgia-- but there is no solid state amp for me 15w max 1-12 trem rev and NO phony lo-volume distortion gimmicks, no tone modifications besides bass and. treble.

The DR Tone Master has exactly the same control complement as the original plain-ol DR. No mastervol tricks for low-volume distortion, no extra tone control. I can’t answer whether it’s squishy at low power settings. But I’d think it worth checking out given your ideal spec brief.

Well I am not stuck in the 60s ... will give one a test drive.

I don't think the TMDR gets squishy at low volumes, but I think you lose some of the high end. It's pretty standard across all wattages, just gets quieter. lol

I have already accidentally left it at practice volume (wattage) at a gig - it was miked but it just didn't cut through - at the gigs before this one the sound guys plugged into the XLR so it didn't matter what stage volume was as much.

"The DR Tone Master has exactly the same control complement as the original plain-ol DR. No mastervol tricks for low-volume distortion, no extra tone control. I can’t answer whether it’s squishy at low power settings. But I’d think it worth checking out given your ideal spec brief. "

Tim, you're right that these amps are worth checking out since each guitar does indeed hit a different "sweet spot." As you might recall, I bought a 2002 Gibson L-4CES just before Christmas. What you don't know is that, while I really liked the way the guitar played and its' inherent acoustic sound, I just couldn't get the sounds that I wanted with my Carr Rambler, Blackface Princeton or Gibson GA40. So, in a fit of pique, about 3 weeks ago out came the Fender Vibro-King. I was really close to a double hernia moving the beast but reached complete nirvana when the guitar was plugged in.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, tops the sound of an analogue pickup guitar with a well designed tube amp with great set of tubes. Absolute Magic.

– DCBirdMan

I did. But just once. And I wish I still had it. Kinda.

Getting there.

– Powdog

I think You'll like it, Ethan! I had big trannys in mine (30 watt single-ended OT) and ran an EL34. But nowadays I think I would do one 6V6 or maybe two in parallel.

I already have an old Vibro Champ that I added reverb to. I’m really going for punch and headroom with this one.

I already have an old Vibro Champ that I added reverb to. I’m really going for punch and headroom with this one.

– Powdog

I’d love to see more of it in the Workbench section!

I must be the only person who liked the Bassbreakers! I forget which one I tried but I thought it sounded amazing for a mass-produced modern Fender.

I gigged with a Vibroking for a few years and at the time didn't find it so heavy - I might now! In the end I traded it for a SRRI and liked the Super much more.

I am looking forward to trying the new digital Deluxe Reverb - but I never really liked the tube ones so I'm not expecting to love it. The Super is pretty much the only BF Fender I have ever liked. I'm kind of ambivalent about digital amps - I like the idea of a lightweight amp capable of sounding good at ultra-low volumes but I have spent years learning how to build the best-sounding amp for me that it feels like I'm throwing all of that away. Plus I like getting in there and tweaking parts which is not really the digital way...

Register Sign in to join the conversation