Other Amps

Fender 65 reissue twin reverb

Suddenly infatuated with this amp. Somebody talk me out of it. Any thoughts?

There's nothing quite like a Twin Reverb. A real clean machine that breaks up at wonderfully loud volumes. Added bonus, they weigh a ton so you can quit the gym and save monthly dues!

Probably not the answer you were looking for....

Ha! I think I’m already set in my mind that this is my new amp. So your statement was kinda like reading a good review after already having made the purchase if you know what I mean.

I chose this amp for clean sounds, for my Gibson L5 or even Telecaster. Even the Gretsch 6122 does not sound so bad; however, a reference sound. the only flaw is its excessive weight.

Paolo.

A reissue is expensive and not the quality of a good early Silverface which can be had for a lot less. Hand-wired too. Of the reissues or the modern collection, there's also the Twin Custom 15 as well.

I walked into Guitar Center on July 4, 1991 and purchased the first reissue released to the public - AC00003. Fender kept the first two according to the rep. A new reissue is expensive but mint examples can be bought for half the price of a new one. I just sold a blonde example for 600.00 on Reverb and it took a month.

Loud as hell and you won't get a hint of breakup until you're up around '7' on the volume. You will absolutely be using a pedal if you want to get dirty. With that said, I'll be going to the grave with this puppy!

This could have been yours for 600.00 bones...

I thought Twins had fallen out of favor here in The Modern World... but glad they are still cool w/ people. What I would use if I played loud cause wiht me Clean is The Scene.

I just played a gig where the backline offering were a reissue Deluxe Reverb and a reissue Twin Reverb.

Unfortunately I got stuck with the Twin.

Cool, thanks everyone. My instructor had one in his office yesterday and I loved how buttery and smooth it sounded. Even at bedroom levels it sounded amazing. I have a blues jr that I did the Bill M mods to. I think it sounds pretty good, but its night and day between these two amps. I know they are in two different realms of amp and maybe the blues jr realm has sort of fallen out of my favor. I love how clean, quiet, and somehow compressed the twin is, which is obviously quite contrary to what should be expected from a blues jr. Playing my firebird through it, with the neck pickup and the tone rolled back to 4. Wow, I swear I sounded like a real jazz player. They had a very recent used one for 895 at the shop.

I second the recommendation to look at early SF Twins. Nobody wants these big clean beasts these days, so they can be found cheap. I picked up a Bandmaster Reverb a few years ago and the owner threw in the cabinet for free because he just wanted rid of it.

With my blues jr, I just crank it to get it to break up. Although I'm not doing much high gain/distorted type music any more. So based on what I've heard here, if I get a twin and I want to play with distortion at volumes that won't melt my face I should plan on getting a good overdrive or distortion pedal correct?

I just picked up a 68' Twin Reissue. I couldnt pass it up as it was practically given to me.

It sounds amazing and I really love it,great amp all around except its heavy,luckily it came with casters so I rock N Roll it

With my blues jr, I just crank it to get it to break up. Although I'm not doing much high gain/distorted type music any more. So based on what I've heard here, if I get a twin and I want to play with distortion at volumes that won't melt my face I should plan on getting a good overdrive or distortion pedal correct?

– Rockabilly_Nick

You will need a pedal. Even dimed, you won't get much overdrive out of a Twin Reverb and what you usually get is pretty gritty. Do you really need that much power? I can't think of any situation these days where that much power is necessary. You may want to look into a Deluxe Reverb for the perfect balance of clean and overdrive/distortion.

I can't imagine any situation in which I would need or even want a Twin. The weight, the wattage, the volume, the sheer brutality. Iconic as its fundamental tone supposedly is, I've always preferred essentially the same tone from any number of other, more tractable Fender and Music Man amps.

As for "breakup"...I've never really thought the Twin had any, other than a nasty rasp at the top end of the dial, where you'd only ever go to demonstrate just how loud that small a box could be. There's nothing pleasant about it!

For my tastes, if a guy thought he needed that much Fender power, he'd be much better off with a separate head and a much larger cabinet, preferably with 15s, so at least the cannon could be aimed, and the power spread across more speaker surface area for a less brutal, more enveloping and lush attack.

But certainly all the guys with Twins for sale will appreciate that anyone still wants one.

Check out Junior Brown to hear a dimed Twin. He gets a slightly gritty, compressed sound, but boy is it loud.

He used to live about 2 miles from me. I could hear him from the back yard.

Here are my recommendations along the line of Tim's reference to other amps that might do the job instead of the king of power Twim.

The 'smaller' version of a Twin is a SF or BF Pro Reverb - 40 watts, 2 x 12" (I have a '66 BR ).

Next [smaller] choice down the lineup is the Vibrolux Reverb - 35 watts, 2 x 10" (I have a '71 SF). This one sure is easy to lug to a gig!

Thanks all for the good advice. I’ll try those other amps and see if I can match the sound that I was able to get from that twin. If not, then I might just have to go through with it. I’ll keep you posted!

They are heavy. But I never found them to be much heavier than then the pro or super reverb. The 66 super reverb was an awkward shape to carry but was a great sounding amp. Just checked on amp wares and it has the SF pro at 58lbs and the twin reissue at 64lbs.

They do have a sound that you don’t get from the smaller amps and I really think the master volume is useful on a twin reverb.

I prefer non-verb fenders and see blackface bandmasters at very reasonable prices . I know it seems to be a folk wisdom that bandmasters don’t sound good but I really like them.

Another nonverb amp to think of is a tremolux. I have a 6g9b they have low plate voltage and you can run 6v6s in there at 8ohms if you need it a bit quieter.

I was able to get a sound from that amp that my playing has never been able to produce before. I know we are all on some kind of tone quest, and that twin might be the next step in mine. I don’t mind the weight, I’m definitely not after the power, but when I play through an amp and I sound better than I’ve sounded in all the years I’ve been playing, It just feels right.

Register Sign in to join the conversation