Other Amps

Fender 65 DRRI Vs Tone Master Fender Twin Vs Hot Rod Deville For Ch…

Fender is bringing out a Solid State Modelled version of a Fender Twin called the Tone Master Twin. It's 200 Watts and supposedly perfectly (or near as damn it) models an 85Watt Twin. It is half the weight as well. It cab be attenuated with a dial at the back to 22Watts, 5 Watts and even 1 Watt (and other settings) which is attractive to me because Twins were always too much amp for me and too heavy to boot... One downside is there is no effects loop unlike my HR Deville. Do I really need the effects loop... Debatable...

So I already have a HR Deville (too heavy) and a DRRI... I'm thinking of maybe selling them and just getting this "Tone master Twin".

My main question is how are Twins for Chet Atkins stuff - obviously they are clean amps. Chet stuff sounds very satisfying on my DRRI and HR Deville of course.

Also chime in on your thoughts on the Tone Master Twin - there's lots of talk on Youtube about them...

I can't say anything about the Twin because I haven't tried one. But I'd be a little surprised if it didn't handle clean tones well. Tubes do have a certain sparkle and compression which just feels different from SS, but i am hoping that these days Fender might have got this Twin right.

As far as FX loop - IMO you only really need an FX loop if you are using the amp's preamp overdrive/distortion circuits and want to use delays or chorus effects. If you get your dirt from pedals - and i would with all the amps you list - then really you don't need an FX loop.

I can’t speak for the new SS Twin because I haven’t tried it but as much as I like tube amps I really love SS clean tones. I own an SFPR, SFDR, Traynor YCM40 I think the model name is and a Tweed Deluxe clone. All have good clean, especially the first three, with the first two very sparkly but I also on a SS Orange amp called the Orange Crate 60 and I love the clean even more on that than the tube amps although sometimes the clean on the tube amps is what I need. I rather play Ventures songs using my Mosrites on the tube amps but a song like Sultans of Swing I like on the SS Orange amp better.

Fender does things right so if Orange can make a great SS amp So will Fender make a great SS Twin.

By the way didn’t Fender have a SS Twin at one time? They had a SS Bassman once in the 70s.

About Effects Loop I have one in the Traynor and I think it’s not necessary. I don’t notice any difference if I use it or not. I use it because I have it but on amps that don’t it isn’t a big deal not too.

I was right they made one years ago. Of course today’s technology is way better so it probably will mimic the tube version way better than this one does. Also this doesn’t look like a Twin.

https://reverb.com/item/216...

There is a significant difference in the "solid state" versions of the Princeton, DR, and Twin that are out now vs older Fender solid state designs. These new amps use state of the art DSP technology and do their best to reproduce the tone, feel and response of the original tube amps. From the online demos I have seen, Fender has done a pretty good job of it. To my ears, the two smaller amps sounded a bit more authentic than the Twin (which was still very good) but for many, the unbelievably significant reduction in weight for the Twin (33 lbs v almost 70 lbs) would make up for any slight tonal differences).

It ain't heavy, it's my amp.

It ain't heavy, it's my amp.

– Proteus

LOL, that be Weird Al’s take on The Hollies!

Here it is

– ThePolecats

My cousin had one of these back then. '60s solid state amps weren't the greatest. They've come a long way since then.

I have the new Tone Master Twin and have played 3 gigs with it. I wasn't looking for a new amp when these came out but when I saw it only weighed 33 lb. I knew I could use one. I have been playing Twins forever and love the sound of a good Twin. My last one was a Twin Custom 15 and I like the sound of it the beat of all the Twin I have owned. I listened to all the demo's online and decided to get the Twin. I am so glad I did, it sounds great and has all the feel of my tube amps. I still have 3 tub amps and love them but don't want to lug them around. I am going on 69 in 2 months and just can't handle the weight anymore. This amp should keep me playing in a band for hopefully a lot of more years.
If you get a chance to play one give it a try. I think you will like it.

Jim

I have the new Tone Master Twin and have played 3 gigs with it. I wasn't looking for a new amp when these came out but when I saw it only weighed 33 lb. I knew I could use one. I have been playing Twins forever and love the sound of a good Twin. My last one was a Twin Custom 15 and I like the sound of it the beat of all the Twin I have owned. I listened to all the demo's online and decided to get the Twin. I am so glad I did, it sounds great and has all the feel of my tube amps. I still have 3 tub amps and love them but don't want to lug them around. I am going on 69 in 2 months and just can't handle the weight anymore. This amp should keep me playing in a band for hopefully a lot of more years.
If you get a chance to play one give it a try. I think you will like it.

Jim

– James Hopkins

Great to hear you like it Jim. I'm very tempted because I think an amp with attenuation like that could replace a bunch of my amps and help me declutter a bit. I'd probably keep one Roland Cube and a Roland Cube Street Ex busking amp but I'm thinking of getting rid of my DRRI, Hot Rod Deville (which is 20 years old) and a Roland Cube 40GX. I've got too much crap in the house including too many guitars and guitar cases lol.

Interesting to hear everyone's take on it - thanks - I think they are an interesting development. I'm no luddite - I like tinkering with modelling and I like real valve amps but there are lots of times when I just want to plug in and not fiddle around and I think these will be good for that like a normal amp.

Me, my 6122/59 and my Twin Reverb........

– Paolo_Spadaro

Very nice btw Paolo - I've heard you play on this video before but I didn't take notice of what amp you had used. I've always liked Twins when I was younger but that was for blues and I never got one because frankly they weighed a metric tonne and were LOUD haha.

Best

Andrew

Well Fender's 1st and 2nd attempt @ solid state in 1966 and 69 SUCKED, with Thomas Vox, Kustom, Acoustic, etc beating them big time. But we're talking 50 years ago and they have come a long way. Was using a borrowed Rumble 25 bass this weekend... pretty good for a small inexpensive little bass amp.

Here it is

– ThePolecats

Unbelievable how fast they disappeared!

I am not a fan of Fenders early solid state amps. I still have an old Stage 160 here and all though it works great it just doesn't have the feel or anything close to a tube amp.

I don't play Chet style but I do love all of Chet's music. I also have the 6122-59 and it sounds amazing through the TM Twin.

Jim

Well I drove to Canberra (3 hours each way) and spent the afternoon trying out the Tonemaster Twin. I was fully ready tot buy it or I wouldn't have driven that far.

In the end despite loving the concept of a light amp with attenuation I was disappointed. It just seemed to lack the punch of my Deville and the tube amps I tried it against at the store and it seemed flat in comparison. The sales assistant tried various tube amps against it and came to the same conclusion. I found the attenuated settings also very unsatisfying - particularly the lower powered settings.

A good way to describe the difference is if anyone is familiar with thumb picking in Chet Atkins or Tommy Emmanuels style - the boom-chk driving bass had quite a bit less dynamics/drive/thump compared to a real tube amp like my Deville or a hand wired twin I tried there. It sounded flatter.

I have no doubt some people will still like the amp but I'm obviously too spoilt and didn't realise it... Maybe it would be better for other styles of guitar playing and for people that want a solid state amp and aren't hoping for it to feel like tube amp.

If I had to rate it in terms of how close it comes I'd maybe give it a 6/10.

Me, my 6122/59 and my Twin Reverb........

– Paolo_Spadaro

Wow! Thanks for sharing . Very much enjoyed it!

Wow MrAstro. That’s disappointing but better to know. Thanks

Sorry you had to drive so far to figure this out. Good that you did though.

Saw the demo vid.Kudos for just using the regular controls instead of having to program and tap-dance on the foot controller(see pic). I've done OK with Peavey solid-state for steel,bass,and PA,and my hybrid Music Man 210-65 is hands-down the best six-string amp I've ever had,but I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on a ToneMaster Twin.

I'm super interested in the Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster, I tried one around at the shop around the corner from me and it didn't sound bad, but I wasn't playing through my guitars or pedals.

The word flat did come to mind, but I'd like to try replacing the speaker in the DRTM (as I shall henceforth call the Deluxe Reverb Tone Master) and see what that sounds like. I still won't pay $900 for one, but I'm waiting for the "first wavers" to get their kicks and sell them off cheap.

My DRRI and PRRI already sonically sound completely different from stock just from a recommended speaker by Walter Broes that I picked up, so I'd like to stick that speaker in a DRTM and see what it sounds like then.

Wow! Thanks for sharing . Very much enjoyed it!

– eCastro

Grazie !!!!

I gig My HR-Deville regularly. She's heavy and she's HEAVY!!! But I do Rock, so yeah!

When I tried her out at the local GC they just said plug it in and go, right on the sales floor. I think I scared some kids but I was sold.

I can get some wonderful cleans and I love the natural Distortion sounds that I get, too through the B channel. I rarely use a stompbox for Distortion. I only wish it was P2P like the old ones. So far no issues though.

Well I drove to Canberra (3 hours each way) and spent the afternoon trying out the Tonemaster Twin. I was fully ready tot buy it or I wouldn't have driven that far.

In the end despite loving the concept of a light amp with attenuation I was disappointed. It just seemed to lack the punch of my Deville and the tube amps I tried it against at the store and it seemed flat in comparison. The sales assistant tried various tube amps against it and came to the same conclusion. I found the attenuated settings also very unsatisfying - particularly the lower powered settings.

A good way to describe the difference is if anyone is familiar with thumb picking in Chet Atkins or Tommy Emmanuels style - the boom-chk driving bass had quite a bit less dynamics/drive/thump compared to a real tube amp like my Deville or a hand wired twin I tried there. It sounded flatter.

I have no doubt some people will still like the amp but I'm obviously too spoilt and didn't realise it... Maybe it would be better for other styles of guitar playing and for people that want a solid state amp and aren't hoping for it to feel like tube amp.

If I had to rate it in terms of how close it comes I'd maybe give it a 6/10.

– MrAstro

Too bad it didn't have the response you were hoping for. Comparing two of my amps, for my Executive I have the bass set at 4 whereas on my '66 BF Pro Reverb I set the bass at 1 as it has an amazing amount of 'thump' - too much if I turn it up at all, even muting the lower 3 strings.

Which do you prefer between your Deville & DR or is there a big difference?

Register Sign in to join the conversation