Other Amps

Fender 5a3 deluxe

Maybe the 6L6 tweeds are less midrangy... I have a 6G6B and think it has more mids and more compressed than the pro

– eCastro

That might be possible. Pro, Super and Bandmaster are basically the same amp with minor differences (apart from cab size and speakers), aren't they?

That might be possible. Pro, Super and Bandmaster are basically the same amp with minor differences (apart from cab size and speakers), aren't they?

– sascha

Yes. This pro is a different circuit to narrow panel era 5e7 and 5e5a amps. It’s cathode bias and has octal tubes amongst other things.

Sounds like a cool amp Sascha.

The midrange differences you're hearing are more likely to be attributable to the tonestack. With the bass/treble/presence tweeds, there's more of a default mid scoop - much like the blackface amps.

You don't get that with the volume/tone tweeds.

The midrange differences you're hearing are more likely to be attributable to the tonestack. With the bass/treble/presence tweeds, there's more of a default mid scoop - much like the blackface amps.

You don't get that with the volume/tone tweeds.

– Shuggie

Oh, it is!

I have my Deluxe Reverb sitting next to it and everytime I switch back to this I notice how airy and... wide (?) the Bandmaster sounds. It has a got a so much quicker response, too. Great feature is a switch to take out one 10" speaker to make it more like a Super.

Is that switching in a high power resistor to replace the speaker? My Tone Twins buddy Ed has a box like that in his tweed Bassman so he can run 4, 3, or 2 speakers. Works brilliantly.

Is that switching in a high power resistor to replace the speaker? My Tone Twins buddy Ed has a box like that in his tweed Bassman so he can run 4, 3, or 2 speakers. Works brilliantly.

– Shuggie

I think it's much more simple and just a switch that takes one speaker out. IIRC the original Bandmaster design is mismatched anyway, ending up at ~2.66 Ohms with three 8 Ohm speakers where it should be 4 Ohms. So two speakers would give the correct impedance. Could that be right?

It could indeed Sascha. 3 x 10" Tweed Bandmasters are notorious for blowing output transformers.

So yes, in effect your Bandmaster becomes a Super.

Register Sign in to join the conversation