Other Amps

Fender 5a3 deluxe

May be the best vintage amp vid online. Long but well worth a watch if you are interested in vintage fender amps.

I’ve been looking for a 5B5 for a while. ( not many around over here)

Glad you enjoyed it. That's the first video I made with my buddy Ed for Tone Twins TV.

GREAT video!! That may be the best 35 minute education I've ever had.....

Thank you for sharing, eCastro. I plan to watch it again making use of "pause" so I can take notes.

Oh -- and GREAT work by you, Huw!!

Thanks fellas. It means a lot

And please don't forget to check out some of our other videos on the channel.

Thanks Shuggie. Will do. Any more amp vids in there?

Great info and playing. Most tweed vids the amps are cranked and distorted . You hardly hear a clean demo ... and the cleans are beautiful.

i found a couple of tweeds for sale here . A 52 pro 5B5 and a 58 Harvard. Any thoughts on these? Both pretty much stock with original speakers.

And please don't forget to check out some of our other videos on the channel.

– Shuggie

Waiting for the next one, Huw. Love the channel!

Little tweeds with a bit of bite! Love that a lot more than the blown out farty fizz fest of most tweeds. But you demo sounds good all round Shuggie, both dirt and clean are classy

Great info and playing. Most tweed vids the amps are cranked and distorted . You hardly hear a clean demo ... and the cleans are beautiful.

i found a couple of tweeds for sale here . A 52 pro 5B5 and a 58 Harvard. Any thoughts on these? Both pretty much stock with original speakers.

– eCastro

I restored a 51 Pro a while back and it's an amazing amp. Like a grown up TV Deluxe and arguably better. Clearer, more open and less boxy in the mids.

https://guitar.com/guides/d...

The original Jensen field coil speaker was not working and I couldn't find anybody in the UK to fix it. After trying a bunch of different 15" speakers, the owner swapped out the baffle and installed a 12" Celestion Ruby. If you can buy a Pro for a good price, I'd say go for it.

No more amp vids on our channel yet, but there are going to be, and that's a promise. Meanwhile, you can check out this video we did with guitar.com before we started Tone Twins TV.

– eCastro

I vote for the Harvard--with disclaimer that I've never played through an iteration of a Fender Pro (Reverb). I unwittingly was a testing player for a video using one thinking the idea was that we were trying to decide which microphone to record some tracks with. Had I known I would have tried to play competently!

My brother has a 5C3 Deluxe. Bone stock. I know which amps he's said he's thinking of selling and definitely not selling. I've not heard a view on the Deluxe I can ask if you want. He may be holding to pair with the guitar it originally came with as I have heard him muse about selling that.

Fender introduced some changes for the 5C3 Deluxe - including negative feedback off the speaker output and altered capacitor values to increase bass response.

The Harvard is a fixed bias rather than cathode bias design. Essentially a Vibrolux without the trem circuit. 10" speaker too.

All different but interesting tweed flavours.

I’ve played them now. Both are amazing ... the pro is so wide range maybe the cabinet size has something to do with this. When pushed the breakup is primitive. Blooms and explodes in a way I’m not use to. The Harvard overdriven is a sound I have heard on many records, it is compressed and easier to control but cleans are not as open. May be speaker or cabinet size

I vote for the Harvard--with disclaimer that I've never played through an iteration of a Fender Pro (Reverb). I unwittingly was a testing player for a video using one thinking the idea was that we were trying to decide which microphone to record some tracks with. Had I known I would have tried to play competently!

My brother has a 5C3 Deluxe. Bone stock. I know which amps he's said he's thinking of selling and definitely not selling. I've not heard a view on the Deluxe I can ask if you want. He may be holding to pair with the guitar it originally came with as I have heard him muse about selling that.

– knavel

Yep that’s a great sound. It is beautifully compressed and a little boxy.

I prefer the sound of the AKG In that microphone comparison . However, I expect the guitar recorded with the SM57 May sit better in a mix

I restored a 51 Pro a while back and it's an amazing amp. Like a grown up TV Deluxe and arguably better. Clearer, more open and less boxy in the mids.

The original Jensen field coil speaker was not working and I couldn't find anybody in the UK to fix it. After trying a bunch of different 15" speakers, the owner swapped out the baffle and installed a 12" Celestion Ruby. If you can buy a Pro for a good price, I'd say go for it.

No more amp vids on our channel yet, but there are going to be, and that's a promise. Meanwhile, you can check out this video we did with guitar.com before we started Tone Twins TV.

– Shuggie

I loved this vid too. Think I liked the 5a3 and then the vibrolux .

Blooms and explodes works for me eCastro - but not literally obviously.

I think the tweed Harvard and the Vibrolux - especially the later ones with the different output transformer - are very closely related the the Brownface and Blackface (non reverb) Princetons.

TV fronts with octal preamp tubes are very different in tone and feel. I prefer them, but that's just me.

To my ear Leo's Tweed line of amps from this one on forward, contain(ed) a dynamic and tonal integrity that have never been equaled. Even the blackface models (which I love BTW), never quite hit the mark that these beauties did. That period was an incredible high water mark both for Leo and the guitars and amps he designed/created through the 50s.

Interestingly, I came to the tweed table very late in my career, mainly because they were literally out of production and out of site for most of my life as a professional. Now I own two reissues, the 5e3 Deluxe and the 5e Bandmaster. Of the two, I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite, though I suppose the Deluxe might just be the one I'd save from a fire. Er, maybe it would be the Bandmaster.

Great video guys. Very informative and entertaining. So good to put faces and ascribe talent to the names. Shuggie, you now move into the legendary status category!

Aw shucks General...

I'm just finishing up a 1961 5E3 restoration video. Hoping to have it done by the weekend, so I'll post it here as and when I do.

Interesting. I didn't know that there was such a thing as a 1961 5e3.

Neither did I Afire, but it seems Fender was still making them.

The unmolested ones seem to have the blue signal caps that we associate with Brownface and Blackface amps, and the output transformers were changed to the 125A1A that were also used in the later Vibrolux models and 60s Princetons.

Maybe they were just using up leftover chassis and cabinets.

To my ears, the amp I've been working on sounds less gritty and fizzy than some of the earlier 5E3s I've worked on and played through.

That video was great! Loved the way that it showed that the speaker made a huge difference in every amp, but in different ways in each amp. I very much preferred the gold-equipped Super for dirt, and felt it was about equal to the gold-equipped Bassman for cleans; the Bassman actually sounded a bit too trebly to me, but that's easily remedied.

This article is brilliant!

I decided on the Pro . Has an old world valve Amp hifi clean I have not heard before in a guitar amp. Don’t think I could find a clone of the 5B5 Pro. Have seen Harvard and vibrolux clones

Great choice. I would have done the same. My mate still has that Pro and he gets incredible tones out of it.

My current main amp is a handmade 5E7 Bandmaster by Tubeking (NL). It's a an incredibly honest amp and in no way forgiving. And it has so much less mid-range than I expected in the first place. It's kind of glassy in a very good way. Before I got it I was used to my Fender CS Tweed Deluxe but those are completely different animals.

Maybe the 6L6 tweeds are less midrangy... I have a 6G6B and think it has more mids and more compressed than the pro

Register Sign in to join the conversation