Other Amps

Fender ‘57 Custom Deluxe

I accidentally bought this yesterday. Got a really good deal on it as it’s used and I was able to trade in a Champ I had against it.

I say it’s used but it’s barely used, still had the sales card on top of the amp, manual, slip cover, the works.

Initial impressions are “where have you been all my life” and “how in the name of all that is good and holy does this work”.

Are there any other Tweed Deluxe users in the house?

Accidents can sometimes be a good thing. Congratulations .

I use a Clark Beaufort (vintage handwired 5E3 style), with a nice vintage Fender style outboard reverb, it sounds great...

watch this for 5E3 tips...

You rang? I use one at home with my tiny "breakfast board". I love it although I miss out some of its qualities when not cranked up. The clean sound with some added reverb is so lovely. Any guitar sounds great through it. For use in a band I find it limited because of its simple tone control. It's quite bass heavy and that can't be dialled out.

Since 1993.

I bought a 58 deluxe that winter. It's been my mainstay since.

perfect with a dearmond gretsch.

I've head this one for a while. It is a 1957 that was found across the Playa in Dos Cabesas. Here's before and after pics:

I brewed one at home once. Fabulous sound for what it is. I was just hoping it might have enough clean headroom to be practical for me for rehearsals or small gigs. With my drummer, the poor thing never stood a chance.

Glad to see I’m not alone. I suppose it’s fairly ubiquitous at this stage though isn’t it?

Don’t see myself being able to put it through it’s paces in a band setting for another few months, but I also don’t see my using it in a musical situation where it could be overpowered.

I had a tweed deluxe clone but it just didn’t have enough headroom for me. I tried diff tubes, diff speakers and settings but it always came up a bit to gainy for me. Reissue Jensen P12Q sounded the best but the bass was mushy and got lost in band mix, a celestion greenback have the most volume and headroom but pulled away from the classic alnico/tweed tone. I should also say I only have one amp so it needs to cover a lot of ground and I know I was asking a lot from the deluxe. For what it’s worth it was a Lil Dawg D-Lux. I get the impression the Fender one has more umph, great amps

Have had mine for a couple of years now. The trick to the real usability and beauty of this amp lies in the way the two volume controls interact. Recently I've taken to bridging the two channels with a small pedal cable and the interaction is even more delicious. If you haven't discovered this trick yet, give it a go. Meanwhile, I would have to say that the Fender '57 reissue Deluxe is the finest little amp I've used to date. The tones to be had are fantastic at any level. It responds well to any pedal and brings the best out of all my guitars (335, Tele, Strat, Tal Farlow jazz box, and of course my 59 Country Gent). Couldn't be happier with it. Congrats on your find...

I have built many, and I've got a '56/57 at home. The best thing you can do for them is to wire the volume/tone controls like a 6G3 brownface Deluxe. The pots will taper more smoothly, and you'll get more clean headroom and a sweeter tone.

It's not too hard to do, but you need a couple of 220K channel mixer resistors. I like to leave the Bright channel hooked to the tone control, and let the Normal channel be "raw" like a Champ.

My current 5E3 mods:

1. 5 star 5751 in V1
  2. Replace first 0.1 cap on bright channel with .05
  3. Jensen P12P with 8 rib pulp cone. The seamed paper cones are too flubby with 0.1 coupling caps
  4. Switchable 25uF/.68uF bypass caps on the second gain stage

The interactive volume controls work great at controlling overdrive.

I won’t be even considering opening it up for a while, to be honest I’ve barely had a chance to fire it up since I took it home!

Retail in December after a 6 week lockdown is wild.

Congratulations!
My 1960 Tweed Deluxe is my favorite amp. Even though it has no tweed left on it, it does everything I need and it sounds amazing....

It looks like this, if you're savvy:

– JBGretschGuy

thanks JB, I'll file this away for future reference in case I ever get the urge to mod my Deluxe...

Always had a soft spot for tweed Deluxes. Back in the day, my bandmate had one ( a '60) and we both played through it. Here it is at a Christmas party that year, to the drummer's right. Unfortunately, I haven't had a soft spot at the same time as I had the bux!

Home brew. Never owned a real one.

Always had a soft spot for tweed Deluxes. Back in the day, my bandmate had one ( a '60) and we both played through it. Here it is at a Christmas party that year, to the drummer's right. Unfortunately, I haven't had a soft spot at the same time as I had the bux!

– DaveH

This picture is it!

Home brew. Never owned a real one.

Given the way that one looks, why would you?

Register Sign in to join the conversation