Other Amps

Echosonic amp on Reverb

That's about as cool as it gets. I had a chance to buy a Rickenbacker licensed version about 10-15 years ago for $2500. It's the same amp other than the speaker, just not built by Ray. I kick myself to this day. All I could think of was that it wasn't powerful enough for my gigging situation and as a rule, I don't buy gear that I'm not going to gig with. That was a situation where a smarter guy would have ignored his rules.

That's about as cool as it gets. I had a chance to buy a Rickenbacker licensed version about 10-15 years ago for $2500. It's the same amp other than the speaker, just not built by Ray. I kick myself to this day. All I could think of was that it wasn't powerful enough for my gigging situation and as a rule, I don't buy gear that I'm not going to gig with. That was a situation where a smarter guy would have ignored his rules.

– Afire

I think that's a pretty sound rule. I need to adhere to it more.

That's a pretty decent price for a rarity like that when he's selling a Strat for $60K.

Wow. Beautiful. Out of my price range

What do I know if it's worth the money or not right? BUT......In my mind, this amp may have started it all. For me it should be in in a museum for everyone to appreciate. My opinion.

Just for the record, I don’t think it’s Scotty’s actual Echosonic, just the same model, built by Ray Butts.

Deke Dickerson has one of Scotty’s originals. Scotty had two. I believe the Sun sessions amp is on display somewhere?

Deke Dickersons blog shares some cool stories of the amp.

Setzers which just sold was a gem. I imagine it sold within an hour. The Strats and the like are expensive yes, but not nearly as rare an iconic. It’s a rare occurrence for one to come to market.

Before I get too old I’d love to play through one with an ES295. Been a fantasy of mine for 35 years !

Yeah, me too. That amp has just the coolest vibe. Where does it fit in the Sun chronology? It's my understanding Scotty's first use of the Echosonic amp with Elvis was Mystery Train, but I thought he had the 500 by then.

Happy to be proved wrong though.

I’m fairly certain all of the sun sessions were done with the Echosonic amp.

I believe when they got to RCA things changed a good bit.

Register Sign in to join the conversation