Other Amps

NAD - Dr. Z Z-Lux

I jut picked up a Dr. Z Z-Lux amp the other day. Holy hell this is a great amp. I'm seriously blown away by this amp. It's 40 watts, switchable to 20. Four 6v6 power section. Reverb and Trem. Variable boost.

Basically Z's take on a Deluxe Reverb. A modified version of his JAZ amp.

It's my first time playing anything Dr. Z and I'm seriously just blown away at how amazing this amp sounds. The thing is built like a tank too.

Paired with a Z-Best 2x12 (ported cab) with the stock V30 and G12H.

My 6120RHH and Baja Tele sounds YUUUUGE through this rig. This amp LOVES pedals too.

The big test will come Wednesday at band practice. I REALLY hope this thing sounds half as good with the band as it does alone.

This is the type of amp that just makes you want to keep playing.

How does the reverb and trem sound on these amps? I have two Dr.Z's great amps though mine are el-84 amps I'd like to get one with reverb

How does the reverb and trem sound on these amps? I have two Dr.Z's great amps though mine are el-84 amps I'd like to get one with reverb

– Gretsch6123

The reverb is really good, not super surf springy, more hall or plate sounding IMO but still has some bounce to it. The harder you dig in and the louder you play the amp the better it sounds.

The trem is awesome. Very swampy, I love it. It doesn't quite get into that super square wave stutter tremolo though.

Now if I could find the "ZWreck" grill cloth online somewhere so I can re-cover the 2x12 cab to match the head.

I had four 6V6s in a Twin Reverb once. That's a great sound, and you can't beat a Dr Z.

Weren't you a pretty dedicated Bassman/combo player? Just testing the water? Or do you find the Bassman lacking?

sounds like the Emplex 40 that Tophat made me some 10yrs back. It could handle 4x 6V6 in class A or AB Pushpull, although it was designed around a JTM-45, switchable to JCM. I wish I still had it.. this sounds more my speed these days thoughVideo demo time!

Weren't you a pretty dedicated Bassman/combo player? Just testing the water? Or do you find the Bassman lacking?

A little of both. I've been reading about Dr Z for a while and have wanted to try out the EZG, but this Z-Lux was in stock at a local shop so I started reading/researching it and thought it might be the perfect gigging amp, what with the half power switch and what not.

I've been fighting to get a sound out of my Bassman that I don't think it can produce. I'm not even exactly sure what that sound is but I haven't been able to get it out of my particular Bassman. I was going to start messing with different cabs and speakers again but decided to just try out a new amp instead for now.

We'll see how the Z holds up with the band tonight.

Well, the Z held it's own at band practice. It sounded fan-frickin-tastic. I'm REALLY loving this amp.

I forgot to disengage my drummers clutch on his snare drum so sorry for the annoying buzzy snare but here's a short vid of the Z-Lux.

I'm recording a few songs this weekend with the band and will be using the Z-Lux so some higher quality sounding demos will be forthcoming.

Also threw some white knobbies on it, Tuxedo'd it if you will.

Sounds good man. It still sounds like you, which is good. I'm curious to hear the better recording for sure. An A/B with the bassman may be interesting.

The amp quest is always a tough one. They all sound different in different rooms, so it's hard to try it out without gigging it a few times. I got really lucky with my Kustom Coupe (which I think you'd dig if you ever see one around). I think I need to work with someone better with electronics than me on just building what I want. I don't think I'll ever find the perfect combination of things without having multiple amps on stage. The Kustom is close, but it could use a few tweaks.

Sounds good man. It still sounds like you, which is good. I'm curious to hear the better recording for sure. An A/B with the bassman may be interesting.

The amp quest is always a tough one. They all sound different in different rooms, so it's hard to try it out without gigging it a few times. I got really lucky with my Kustom Coupe (which I think you'd dig if you ever see one around). I think I need to work with someone better with electronics than me on just building what I want. I don't think I'll ever find the perfect combination of things without having multiple amps on stage. The Kustom is close, but it could use a few tweaks.

– Ripley1046

Thanks. Yeah, in this compressed as hell iPhone recording it sounds very much like my Bassman. Which is a good thing for me. It can sound almost exactly like it but it's a more 3D sound, it has better headroom and I know sound guys will love the fact that I can flip it from 40 watts to 20 watts, and I love that there's not tone loss at all when doing so.

When I have some free time I want to do an A/B video with the Z and the Bassman. I also wanna do an A/B with the Bassman hooked up to the 2x12 cab vs the 10" speakers in the combo cab, same with the Z.

And to complicate things even more I'm going to be trying out some Tung-Sol 5881s in place of the 6v6 tubes that come stock with the Z-Lux. Dr. Z said that it will give the amp a little more of a 6L6 flavor and increase the headroom a little bit. Curious to see if I hear/notice the difference. I think what I might be diggin most about this amp is the 6v6 tubes, not sure though since it's my first amp with 6v6s.

Now if I could find the "ZWreck" grill cloth online somewhere so I can re-cover the 2x12 cab to match the head.

– MacStevenXIII

Try contacting the company directly, they have pretty good customer service.

Oh yeah, congrats on the amp!

Try contacting the company directly, they have pretty good customer service.

Oh yeah, congrats on the amp!

– Jeff H

Yeah, I shot them an email but they haven't responded so I'll have to try calling. I've heard they're great about this stuff!

Spent the yesterday recording with my band. The Z-Lux performed outstandingly! So pleased with it. My 6120RHH just sings through it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation