Other Amps

Does over-collecting = hoarding?

Who was it that was hording Magnatone Troubadours?

– razzer10_4

That's why I can't find one...

One Tim. One JB-built Klone. Neither currently on a board, so they're technically extraneous to "needs" (very loosely defined), so maybe a hoard.

No appreciable negative impact on quality of life, though. I don't think my consumption of cleanish overdrive pedals requires intervention.

Besides, for lasting effects you'd have to identify and resolve the underlying psychological aberration. Good luck with that.

When I "toured" with the Celtic folk group, I did have a backup for each of my principal instruments. My trusty 77 Caprice Wagon had the room, so in they went. Two acoustic Takamine 12s, and two acoustic Tak 6-strings , plus a 6-string electric for the four songs each show that needed it. I justified 'em because...well, have you ever tried to change out a broken string on a jumbo 12-string in the middle of a set?

But it turns out that I am actually fairly easy on strings and over time, the backups only came out when I remembered to use them instead of the #1s, and they began staying home more and more..

And that is about as close as I ever came to having multiple copies of most anything instrumental.

At one point I owned 8 or 9 Gretsch Ramblers. I started a thread calling on 6115 owners to post their guitars. Somebody replied, "You own them all." I realized then there is an issue with buying too many of one model - nobody else gets to enjoy them. Neil might like 450 of the same amp but there are other people who'd love to have just one of them.

I don't own any Ramblers any more. A few here own some of mine.

Of course, we know who owns almost every blue guitar on the planet, Doc.

At one point I owned 8 or 9 Gretsch Ramblers. I started a thread calling on 6115 owners to post their guitars. Somebody replied, "You own them all." I realized then there is an issue with buying too many of one model - nobody else gets to enjoy them. Neil might like 450 of the same amp but there are other people who'd love to have just one of them.

I don't own any Ramblers any more. A few here own some of mine.

– drmilktruck

"Neil might like 450 of the same amp but there are other people who'd love to have just one of them." For me, this is really the point. We had this discussion sort of regarding the collecting of what was it, 20-something same year 6120's. Nobody else gets to enjoy them. 20 different guitars that you rotate playing is one thing but a whole bunch of the same guitar is quite another. I don't see the point to having more than a few of anything that's exactly the same. One for each room maybe, but a collection of identical amps that big.....

I know Neil is wealthy and can afford to collect these amps whether over time or all at once, but 450 is obviously by definition, an obsession. I'm not saying it's wrong as he's free to do what he wants, but the old adage, "just because you can do it doesn't make it a good idea" comes to mind.

'How much/many of anything does one person need' is a slippery slope guys.

I wonder how many amps were saved by him, someday they'll most likely be available and 450 folks will be grinnin'.

Amp Rescue...it's a business?

I need to ponder that some more.

Some sort of Legacy to be bequeathed to 450 folks, Museums, and Hard Rock Cafes in a Will?

Nah...

I still think it likely that there is this Warehouse somewhere that he can go sit in by himself...with stacks and walls made from Tweed Deluxes...Ha!

I'll bet Neil's tech guy dies a wealthy man.

If this were a wealthy CEO collecting all of these and letting them collect dust (and let’s face it, the vast majority of these 450 have to be doing nothing but collecting dust, albeit safely), there would be plenty of disapproval.

The fact that Neil’s a musician doesn’t make it all that different when you’re talking about this scale. The first, say 50 plus....ok. But after that you’re beyond backups and variations on tone. It would be nice to see them available for others to purchase and enjoy.

I'm wondering if Neil has an opinion about my stuff - or we're just on a guided Hollywood bus tour to gawk at the millionaires' mansions and tut-tut self-righteously (and/or enviously) about their decadent lifestyles.

You can be sure these amps are being preserved. Not even Neil Young is immortal. There will be no Museum of Neil's Stuff where all 450 are kept behind glass forever. Maybe his #1 will go to a premier museum, and a few more to lesser museums.

But the greatest collections of everything are eventually broken up and dispersed. And when 400 of these amps hit the market at the same time, "from Neil Young's collection" will at first bring a slight premium, and then quickly become a punch line. The executors of his estate won't have time to space the sales out far enough to keep supply below demand.

All you gotta do is outlive Neil, and you get one at your price.

I'm wondering if Neil has an opinion about my stuff - or we're just on a guided Hollywood bus tour to gawk at the millionaires' mansions and tut-tut self-righteously (and/or enviously) about their decadent lifestyles.

You can be sure these amps are being preserved. Not even Neil Young is immortal. There will be no Museum of Neil's Stuff where all 450 are kept behind glass forever. Maybe his #1 will go to a premier museum, and a few more to lesser museums.

But the greatest collections of everything are eventually broken up and dispersed. And when 400 of these amps hit the market at the same time, "from Neil Young's collection" will at first bring a slight premium, and then quickly become a punch line. The executors of his estate won't have time to space the sales out far enough to keep supply below demand.

– Proteus

There's been times when I've wondered how many words does a person need. You've just said what I was trying to, but I ran out.

Seems ridiculous to me, but hey that’s just my opinion. 450 of anything just sounds boring. It’s shoehorning yourself into a limited belief, a limited view point. I get it, he likes the amp but... it’s boring AF.

– Proteus

Ha! Good point.

Seems ridiculous to me, but hey that’s just my opinion. 450 of anything just sounds boring. It’s shoehorning yourself into a limited belief, a limited view point. I get it, he likes the amp but... it’s boring AF.

– Hipbone

He's got one for every note in the Cinnamon Girl solo.

I once blew out the tweeters on my Hi-Fi speakers to "Cinnamon Girl"!

He's got one for every note in the Cinnamon Girl solo.

– Kap'n

That should still leave about 439 amps for the rest of us.

Wikipedia huh?

Aha, he hasn't learnt yet that tone is all in one's fingers? How awkward for him now.

One flannel shirt? I bet he has over 400 identical ones hidden away, just in case.

People in glass houses......

Register Sign in to join the conversation