Other Amps

Does over-collecting = hoarding?

I like Neil Young and most everyone knows for decades now his main amp is a late tweed era Deluxe, which wouldn't be blown off by most everyone one here. He discovered them early on when they were $100 items and ...over to Wikipedia, if it is to be believed.

"Young uses various vintage Fender Tweed Deluxe amplifiers. His preferred amplifier for electric guitar is the Fender Deluxe, specifically a Tweed-era model from 1959. He purchased his first vintage Deluxe in 1967 for US$50 from Saul Bettman's Music in Los Angeles and has since acquired nearly 450 different examples, all from the same era, but he maintains that it is the original model that sounds superior and is crucial to his trademark sound."

So he has over 400 of these amps. I'm glad he's rich - he earned it= was there at the right time w/ right stuff, etc, and can keep them. Still, does this seem even a bit unusual ... does collecting ever border on hoarding?

Just imagine the rent on a place big enough to store those.

I don’t know. Trying to find a replacement and buying a number of amps appears reasonable. But holding on to 450 amps that are all inferior to the one seems rather strange.

Folks can call me a hoarder when it comes to hunting down gear and keeping and enjoying owning stuff I find. I don’t spend a lot of time concerning myself about other people’s opinions or guitar forum talk about what some consider too much gear. The way I see it, hoarding has often become a broad term over used by have-nots. To me, hoarding is a behavior associated with some form of mental health condition where items in any condition regardless of value are kept to the point where unhealthy living conditions become a detriment. That said, I doubt the tweed Deluxe collection is rotting, detrimental to his health or encroaching on Young’s ability to live in his space.

There must be a "brain twist" going on, either to feel safe, or in good supply, or to prevent others...

400+ of the same thing is a Manufacturing or Retail scale.

Even if it were a Retirement Plan, or for eventual Trades with provenance of Neil's sound from Neil himself, that's an odd quantity to be holding.

If it were to keep trying to find the "sound" of the first one, he would have been disposing of the others along the way...

Maybe he's planning to trade them all in for a Dumble.

Maybe he's planning to trade them all in for a Dumble.

– Suprdave

Or a single item from Gary Dick’s inventory

I've given up justifying a lot of purchases anymore: it comes down to basically, "I want it" - logic need not apply!

Pack rats. 450 copies of the same amp is a bit over the top. Still, as long as the rent’s paid and the kids aren’t hungry...

I bet he's played through them all at the same time.

The logistical challenge is not trivial, but it would be worth it.

I think he'll start selling them if PONO isn't the next best thing since sliced bread...oops!

Makes me feel better about having 4 old amps - When your not Neil Young ,the rest of the family just sakes their heads. They know your ill , and there is only one cure.

I have heard reliable reports that The Edge has hundreds of AC30’s among his expansive collection.I get the need for backup gear and B-rigs but that’s just weird..

Sounds like urban myth to me.

Sounds like urban myth to me.

– Afire

Yes it does.

We all whine now and then about lifting and carrying tubes amps.....

450 of those amps would be in the neighborhood of 7 or 8 TONS....

I think it's over the top but I don't expect anyone else to care what I think about that. It would be great to put some of those back out on the market.

Willie Nelson apparently has cornered the market on those ‘60s Baldwin amps—-not that anyone else uses them. It’s his signature sound. In the same vein, Brian Setzer has a stack of spare Roland 301s, but not hundreds of them.

Who was it that was hording Magnatone Troubadours?

Well, in his book "Shakey", it does state the same for the number of 5E3's that he's accumulated.

Buying them at $100 each back in day, was a great deal, but that was about going price too. 5E3's used to be stashed in the corner of music shops, or piled in the back of the shop. Nobody wanted them, they weren't "cool".

Being a "rock star" and having money didn't hurt, but the total outlay, cash wise, was pretty small for buying what he loved, amp wise.

Hoarding? Insight? Passion?

Who cares, at least they are in a safe place with a person who loves the little beasts.

Quite honestly, a musician that tours as extensively as NY has with vintage amps would obviously need backup amps,

And, perhaps, in Neil's case, he might need back ups to his back ups for multiple locations, tour stops and studios, etc.

It seems perfectly legit if he can afford it and keeping as busy as he does.

I know I have to have a room full of amps for those 8 gigs a year I play!

It's either that, or pay it in taxes.

I don't see this as a problem.

It's a well known fact that Proteus has over 57 Timmy pedals and at least a dozen Klon Centurion pedals... Nothing wrong there... Right?

Everyone needs a backup or two.. or three... Or however many you wish to purchase.

Actually, now that I think about it... If Proteus really DID have a dozen Klon pedals, I'd be pretty envious.

There was a documentary that played a couple months ago, Neil reminiscing about early life, Canada, and then a concert from Massey Hall.

He had 3 Tweed Deluxes in a row, all miked to the PA...

Register Sign in to join the conversation