Other Amps

dig this Rocket

Nice! That’s an early one.

Gotta say I am tempted... " will trade for Skylark " it says and they are cheaper usually.

Many Ampegs use odd, hard to find (if not unobtainable) tubes. Even the octals in this aren't made of unobtanium. Nice early Ampeg, and at a decent price.

Got a real soft spot for early Ampegs. Had one of the first Reverberockets back in the day and now I have a 57 year case of seller's remorse!

Many Ampegs use odd, hard to find (if not unobtainable) tubes. Even the octals in this aren't made of unobtanium. Nice early Ampeg, and at a decent price.

– wabash slim

Thing is tho at the time they weren't odd -- some things like the compactrons in the 60s were the newest thing in tube development. So Ampeg wsa modern, looking ahead and Fender stayed with the old stuff, which later became mainstream.

Still the NY Ampegs (pre '62) are neat, and were tied into the whole NYC accordion scene.

My first good amp was a '66 Reverbrocket

That's a nice looking Rocket, and with the cap job already done, power cord replaced, etc., $800 is a good deal. Early Ampeg Rockets, Mercurys, and Reverberockets are great, low wattage amps, equal to any Gibson of the same era. I paid about the same for my 1961 Mercury in similar condition and love the amp. With an efficient speaker they'll do well in a band setting. I put a less efficient speaker in the Mercury and use it for small jazz gigs, and am actually waiting on a recone of the original Jensen C12R. The local speaker repair guy said he can get a paper coil former, like the original, so I'll finally get to hear something close to what an original Jensen C12R sounded like when it was new.

The 6SL7 octals are being made currently, and the new JJs, at half the price of the new Tung Sols, are very impressive. The old ones tend to be microphonic, especially the GEs, and sound no better than the new ones.

Thanks Journeyman. It’s good to know that the new 6sl7s are ok. I’ve got a bundle of old ones that came with my R12R and the majority are microphonic

These work surprisingly well.

These work surprisingly well.

– Powdog

Oh yea, I keep forgetting about those tube ring things. I'll have to pick some up the next time I go to the tube store.

The R-12-R Reverberockets that came out later are also good amps, and generally pretty good buys, but totally different beasts. For a dark, smoky kinda thing, with non-scooped mids, the earlier small Ampeg accordion amps are just the thing. Cranked up, they really sing with a nice bluesy overdrive too. If Neal Young had bought one of these early on, instead of a Fender tweed Deluxe, these would be very expensive.

My R12R is early 61 and has 6v6. Very mid heavy but it’s a hell of a verb. Has been modded though as it had all 6sl7s rather than a mix of 6sl7 and 6sn7 valves.

Cool looking amp! My only concern is whether or not, like so many Ampegs, it uses extinct, hard to find RCA tubes.

Register Sign in to join the conversation