Other Amps

dig my righteous Thomas Vox Pathfinder

Well, finally done. Chassis cleaned up, cab opened for a 10 by Powdog!!..And best of all stays clean until 3/4 up and machine gun trem. 1 smokin 6BQ5 pushing around 5-6 watts. VERY Rickenbacker-friendly. Holy Grail settin' on top and a line out box coming also. Got the original stand and a repro cover. Now I just need another one like it.

There is some question whether this is 4 ohm or 8 ohm. I had thought all the tube ones where 8 ohm and 4 ohms for solid state but my amp guy here says it tested'responded better with a 4 ohm load. Schematic shows 8 ohm but given the number of Thomas Vox errors on schematics... Plus the AC-4 was 4 ohm ( I think)

Right now an 8 ohm C10R is in it but improved lo-end is the quest so if anyone wants to suggest an efficient 10 that might do better in that regard, please speak up. I do want to try a 4 ohm in it... see if there's any notable difference in the sound.

I put a 4 ohm 10" Weber California in my Bronko (Vibro Champ). Very efficient but a space hog. Had to bulld a new cabinet to fit it in (or rather Powdog did). A Ragin' Cajun might be just what you want. Both are very efficient.

I tested the tube Pathfinder I have here, and the OT measured 5K:8 ohms. So at least this one is set up for an 8 ohm speaker.

Hope this helps.

Powdog ... you are clearly right then. Not sure what the guy here was saying. Still it turned out great.

Register Sign in to join the conversation