Other Amps

Deluxe Reverb Speakers?

I may be sorry I asked, but...

...what would be your speaker recommendation for a DR w/ a 2X12 closed back cab? I'm thinking Celestion V30's. My main gigging amp for the last 20 years has been a red knob Super 60 head into a closed back 2X12 with Celestion G12T-75's. Yeah I know, not the most Fendery combo w/ Brit speakers but the combo has served me well.

I may be sorry I asked, but...

...what would be your speaker recommendation for a DR w/ a 2X12 closed back cab? I'm thinking Celestion V30's. My main gigging amp for the last 20 years has been a red knob Super 60 head into a closed back 2X12 with Celestion G12T-75's. Yeah I know, not the most Fendery combo w/ Brit speakers but the combo has served me well.

– Charlie Vegas

I actually like the Jensen C12K. But the best sound I've had out of it has been to run the external speaker out to a closed back cab with a Vintage 30 in it.

The vintage 30 is 16ohm so probably changes the balance but the 30 adds highs and upper mids the Jensen doesn't have and tightens the bass just a tad.

Charlie....I may get laughed right outta here but I'm using two Eminence Cannabis Rex (hemp cone) speakers for mine...and love it! Still has that shimmer and sparkle but they growl like a sob when pushed.However... in the future at the right time I may try a set of V30's but for now I'm digging the Rex's.

I actually like the Jensen C12K. But the best sound I've had out of it has been to run the external speaker out to a closed back cab with a Vintage 30 in it.

The vintage 30 is 16ohm so probably changes the balance but the 30 adds highs and upper mids the Jensen doesn't have and tightens the bass just a tad.

– Gretschmen65

Plan is two 16 ohm V30's in a parallel config yielding 8 ohms.

Plan is two 16 ohm V30's in a parallel config yielding 8 ohms.

– Charlie Vegas

I assume you are using the external speaker out of your DR.

If that is the case you run the cab in parallel with the internal speaker.

Should sound fine but you don't really need two V30's for a 22watt amp given that you also have the internal speaker in parallel with that combination. One works great in which case an 8 ohm V30 would be the ideal IMO.

Or if you are running a DR Head like Michael above I'd have no hesitation running a C12k and V30 in parallel. Both 16ohms.

I think you would like the result more than two V30's.

Just my 2 cents worth

A pair of EVM 12 and be done with it. You could also run a pair of Altec 417B 's. Or some JBL K-120's but be careful with them, they will cut your head off! Thanks John

Take a look at the Eminence Lil' Texas Neo. Check the reviews. I have two in my pro reverb and 1 in my Mesa TransAtlantic cab. The 4 lb weight is really nice.

EV 12L's. Now you're talking! Gonna need a roadie.

I have a Weber California Ceramic Large H Dome in my 81 Deluxe Reverb and couldn't be happier with it. Two of them might be even better/

Jensen C12N is my speaker for that.

For those who recommend speakers, do you have experience using them in a 2x12 closed back cab.

V30's are the best. Jensen C12N's sound better than C12K's. EV's have no top end. I still don't trust Weber.

Putting a Brit style speaker in a DR seems like sacrilege to me. My vote would be a Weber Chicago or California. I have a '66 Pro Reverb with a pair of re-coned original Jensen C12Ns in it. That's the ultimate.

Seems like sacrilege, but I've never heard a Vin30 I didn't like. And they are REALLY loud!

You can get 8ohm V30s too you know! FWIW I recently built a Deluxe Reverb and used a Creamback G12H in it. It sounds incredible - way better than expected. The new G12h Creamback is one of those speakers which sounds great in everything.

V30's are the best. Jensen C12N's sound better than C12K's. EV's have no top end. I still don't trust Weber.

– Billy Zoom

Why not, BZ?

Putting a Brit style speaker in a DR seems like sacrilege to me. My vote would be a Weber Chicago or California. I have a '66 Pro Reverb with a pair of re-coned original Jensen C12Ns in it. That's the ultimate.

– WinnieThomas

Just saw this Winnie and I have a question. I have a '66 PR too and it has two Utahs in it. I play fingerstyle and find I have to turn the bass almost down to 0 as it's so powerful. Did you find the bass very strong with your Jensen's?

Tone Tubby

If they're good enough for Carlos Santana, Derek Trucks, Eric Clapton, Los Lonely Boys, the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Metallica, the Beach Boys, Hank Williams Jr., Neil Young, Robert Cray, et al ...

Yes sir,my cab is

– Michael Williams

As is mine now. Blonde Deluxe Reverb head paired w/ a blonde 2x12 Supersonic cabinet w/ Vintage 30's.

It boils down to personal taste. My Deluxe has a Rola Celestion in it and sounds great, but so do the ones with Jensens. I'm a fan of EVs, too. Whatever delivers the sound in your head is what's best for you.

Billy Zoom is 100% right about V30's and C12N's.

Chinese V30 need a little playing time to loosen up.

As is mine now. Blonde Deluxe Reverb head paired w/ a blonde 2x12 Supersonic cabinet w/ Vintage 30's.

– Charlie Vegas

So how do you like the DR head and closed back box setup? I just learned the Emi gets their hemp cones from Tubby for their Cannibis.Essentially mine is the same aside from the speakers but I'm still diggin it. That blonde sure is nice Charlie

I concur with Billy. And that red Tone Tubby is freaking great!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation