Other Amps

Deluxe or Super Reverb or… mod my Deville?

My silverface Deluxe Reverb always seems to do what it needs to do, regardless of the type of gig. I agree with Windsor Dave, a silverface DR is a great investment. Mine was made in 1974 and I paid $1400 Canadian a few years back. They can be modded easily because they don't have printed circuit boards and there is so much information around on various mods and tweaks that as great sounding amps, they can easily be made even better. Modern speakers are so efficient that I can't imagine volume being a problem.

Now that I have found a great amp tech, I'm going to try using only the DR for all my gigs; see how is works out. The plywood cabinet with the MDF baffle and back panels can be a little heavy, so just today I ordered a pine cabinet with plywood baffle. The builder said that he can build it light. The weight will also come down another 3 lbs. when I change the Weber 12F150 to a DT12. The hope is for a 35 lb. DR.

As for sound, we will put a variable negative feedback control in it, put the reverb in both channels, and darken up channel one; maybe that will be the 'jazz channel'. These are all easy and reversable mods.

The best deals on 70s Deluxe Reverbs are the later 1979-80 ones with the pull boost. People hate that feature but when not engaged, the amp is about the same as any other silverface DR. I had one in the past and it sounded fantastic, as long as I didn't use the pull boost. They tend to sell for less. Happy amp hunting.

Amazing info... but one big prob--I live in Warsaw, and these old amps you guys talk about... well, you just can't find them here, and if you do the likelihood of them having the original parts is almost nil. Or you will be paying crazy money.

So really, I'm looking at probably buying new and coming up with the equivalent of USD 2k...

Maybe I should be thinking a out the 59 Bassman Reissue?

But just so you guys know--I agree with all of you that it would be better to find something used. There just isn't a market here for that.

K

That's too bad Konrad, that the vintage amps we're suggesting that are common here in Canada - sort of - and all over the US aren't available to you. I can only imagine what I could get for my vintage Fenders!! Shame you aren't travelling to the US and could take one home with you.

Get a Deluxe. Add the Mission Amps volume tone mod. Mic to the PA if you need more headroom.

I have to say that the Deluxe sounds more and more worth the cash. Even if I will have to pay twice what you guys would pay at home.

K

I'm a little late to this one.

DON'T MOD THAT DEVILLE!!! Those are great amps. I prefer the older Blues Devilles, but the HR is basically the same thing with an extra gain boost.

If it's too loud/too heavy, sell it. Sounds like you got your money's worth out of it.

BTW- a Super or (especially) a Deluxe won't sound anything like that. The Super would be alot closer, but it's big, heavy, and loud too!

The Deville 410 was great, but it's literally falling apart...

Here the Deluxe Reverb 65 the Deluxe Reverb 68 and the 59' Bassman Reissue all cost about the same...

Probably those would be all I have to choose from--or a blues deluxe or blues deluxe reissue, which would be cheaper--something like that.

So--if that was your choice, what would you do?

K

I'm not a fan of DRs. Maybe if you clip the bright cap.

The Bassman RI is really nice... as is the BD/BDRI.... but all 3 are pretty darned loud, and heavy, much like your Deville. At least the BD/BDRI is less heavy.

If going DR, I'd go with the 68 version, but that's only because I like earlier breakup and warmth... I'm not playing Chet! Even better- the new 68 Vibrolux. THAT would be the amp I would get. 2x10s, not that heavy or big, 2 different voicings/channels....

Are the Super-sonic 22s available over there? It's a great amp, kind of like the "Hot Rod version" of a DR.. the gain channel is really good.

I agree with your assessment of the VR Ruger. If the reissue VR is even close to the '71 SF I have, I'd recommend it too.....over the DRRI. I've always thought it was a hidden gem - a baby Twin or lil' brother to the Pro Reverb. It's a nice 'size' to gig with. 35 watts is plenty of power and it isn't very big physically or terribly heavy. Lot's of punch with the two 10's. A very impressive amp in many ways.

The Deville 410 was great, but it's literally falling apart...

Here the Deluxe Reverb 65 the Deluxe Reverb 68 and the 59' Bassman Reissue all cost about the same...

Probably those would be all I have to choose from--or a blues deluxe or blues deluxe reissue, which would be cheaper--something like that.

So--if that was your choice, what would you do?

K

– Konrad

Here you go Konrad, right in your backyard!

https://reverb.com/item/107...

Dude--thanks, but it looks like it is already gone. It also would have cost me about PLN 11,000 or more, and right now even I sell my Deville, I can probably only spend PLN 6,000 or so--so it's still probably the bassman or a deluxe...

I've heard iffy reviews about the new vibro...

K

"I've heard iffy reviews about the new vibro..."

That's probably about the CUSTOM Vibrolux- the "blackface" one. It is not at all like the original Vibrolux; it's actually more of a BROWN Fender amp: lower headroom/early breakup, warmer.

The new 68 "silverface" VR is what I'm talking about...

However, even tho I'm not personally a fan of the BF DR, the 68 DR might be worth a serious look... Bonamassa seems to think so...

https://www.premierguitar.c...

The "iffy" moniker is used with reissues and some later SF's when they changed them, adding the master volume and upping the output. Not all, but we hear of some having issues. The one I posted a link to was one of the best, an original '71. Too bad Konrad couldn't have snagged that one.

A few years ago I trying playing through a reissue Twin in one visit and a DR in another and both needed to be sent to the fender repair shop. That didn't impress me with respect to the reissues.

Supro Supreme. 25w and one 10” speaker. You won’t believe how big and loud the amp sounds.

I’ll get my coat

Maybe have a look at 68 Vibrolux Custom RI? 2x10, 35W, worked for me until I swapped it for 59 Bassman LTD. Vibrolux has probably best weight to tone ratioAlso, loved the reverb. Breaks up at reasonable levels (whatever it means).

Two channels are voiced differently, so you got silverface sparkle, and something tweed-ish. Usable working amp. Bassman LTD is a bit heavier than Deville.

Some clean sound of Vibro with Dyna 6120:

If you like the 4x10, nothing else will do. They fill the room with fat goodness and are the best for you to hear onstage because they're the least beamy. If you have a cool amp, YOU want to hear it, too! The only thing that kicked my '66 SR off stage was a 67 drip edge one that was magic. The only thing that kicked THAT off is a 58 5F6A Bassman that is probably my amp forever. I hear that the Bassman LTD reissue is an improvement over the earlier one. If you have the dough....Kendrick. Gerald Weber is practically OCD about building the perfect Bassman. I have his BadAssman, and it's pretty amazing. And it has reverb.

If you like the 4x10, nothing else will do. They fill the room with fat goodness and are the best for you to hear onstage because they're the least beamy. If you have a cool amp, YOU want to hear it, too! The only thing that kicked my '66 SR off stage was a 67 drip edge one that was magic. The only thing that kicked THAT off is a 58 5F6A Bassman that is probably my amp forever. I hear that the Bassman LTD reissue is an improvement over the earlier one. If you have the dough....Kendrick. Gerald Weber is practically OCD about building the perfect Bassman. I have his BadAssman, and it's pretty amazing. And it has reverb.

– charlie chitlins

My current band, the other guitar player uses TWO 4x10s... a Fender Blues Deville & a Peavey Classic 50. I have a 1x12 Super-sonic 22. I know 22W is plenty to gig with/keep up with a drummer... even tho he turns his amps around, I'm going to have to get something else....

I have access to a 2x12 extension cab, with would give me 3x12, which I think pushes plenty of air... but will it be loud enough? (I know, I know... we should asking him to turn down... we'll see... our 1st rehearsal is wed).

What I need is a Vibro-King.

I have a DeVille from the 90’s and it’s fantastic. I use two 12ax7s and a 12ay7 to allow the volume a sweep rather than 1-earbusting.

I got a Vox AC15, and love it, but it’s heavy too. It is NOT my DeVille in sound though.

Yes, I'm a FNG here...but I know amps and vintage tubes pretty well. Lots of interesting posts! This will likely offend some here, but absolutely, definitely, respectfully, no offense meant.

1) Avoid reissue Fenders...and rebuilding one. Let someone else do that. They are not real and they are not built to be easily repaired. Some models sound good, but good is not great, is it?

2) Don't think that a vintage Fender is the best bang for the buck tone machine today. By the time you spend the money to get one and get a set of blueprinted resistors and fresh filter/cathode bypass caps installed to bring one back to original specs you have spent more than a modern American boutique that likely offers more versatility with what can be done tonally. If you are gifted one, by all means get it blueprinted and recapped, you will love the results. Vintagefenderamprepair.com is a great place to get those cool parts. Trying to keep an old tweed fender "all original parts" is not the best way to go. Some parts go bad with time, that can't be prevented. Also, old speaker paper sounds different than new cone paper, not always better. Depends on the speaker model and who built the speaker.

3) Best personal, signature, Gretsch-y tones AND portability are going to come from a separate amp head and speaker cabinet(s)... Especially if you have back issues and suffer from TMB, AKA too many birthdays.

4) Buy an American boutique build or Ceriatone if your choice is for an all-tube amp. The C-tone is the best bang for the buck build quality anywhere today. They have done and offer most of the best sounding tube guitar amp circuit platforms and have a stellar reputation with a very loyal client base. If you are serious, contact Nik via email rather than the facebook page of theirs.

5) If you are playing a Gretsch that will bring over two-three thousand dollars in resale, then don't play it through a Chinese built 500-1000 dollar price point amp. It disrespects your instrument's sonic potential.

6) The newest generation of Tone Tubby speakers such as the Nashville ceramic/alnico series, Winterland, or Purple Haze are expensive and tonally worth every penny for quality in your Gretsch-y tones.

7) Tough to beat a RedPlate amp for build quality, tones and versatility on stage. Their tweed style tend to have earlier breakup in the cleans than their blackface line. Both styles have great feature sets. Their American craftsmanship and customer service is insanely good, as is their tones.

Boutique amps for boutique guitars!

Boutique guitars for boutique amps!

Great comments, guys--and yeah... there is something about 410s...

Mateusz--where are you at these days? Do you gig in Poland? Really liked the vids.

K

Well if you like 10s and want to stock with something similar (but smaller/lighter), the 65 Custom Vibrolux Reverb (discontinued, but you could maybe find one used?) or the new 68 Vibrolux Reverb is the way to go. 35W. 2x10s.

I'm going to check out the new 68 myself, if I can find one.... everyone stocks the DRs and PRs but I haven't seen a 68VR in the wild yet...

The Pro Junior (1x10) actually sounds GREAT, and can be quite loud, but being so tiny, it's pretty directional/focused.... And all you've got is vol & tone on that one.

Okay--what I've done for now is the simple, cheap thing: I took a phillips screwdriver ad tightened every screw that was not twisted out.

Kind of amazing the difference it made.

For now, we'll see--I figured I'd hold on to my cash until I can find that "right" vintage (okay, kinda-sorta vintage) amp or buy something decent. There is simply nothing in stores anyway. I'd have to order sight unseen, and I've never had luck with that.

I'll live for now, but I'm still keeping my eyes open for that right amp to come along. On the other hand, I almost can't imagine going without 4 x10s. It may be that a bassman is is my destiny...

K

" It may be that a bassman is is my destiny..."

It isn't considered to be one of the greatest amps ever made for no good reason.... it's legendary.

It's just hella-loud (but so is what you have). Turning up a Bassman is rock-n-roll glory. IF you can turn it up.... remember: no dirty channel on the Bassman....

I actually never use the dirty channel--or any channels anyway... It's space-echo, Dyno and overdrive...

Well, actually I do use the reverb on the amp, as well as presence, but that's it.

K

I actually never use the dirty channel--or any channels anyway... It's space-echo, Dyno and overdrive...

Well, actually I do use the reverb on the amp, as well as presence, but that's it.

K

Register Sign in to join the conversation