Other Amps

DC/Balto amp repair guy?

There’s a guy I was referred to a couple of years ago in Baltimore (cork factory I think). Does anyone know if he’s still around or what his name is?

Pete Cage in Damascus MD is my repair guy. Like many, he's just tube amps. Not sure who you are referring to in Baltimore, although the repair @ Invisible Sound ended since they closed.

The guy I’m looking for would work on solid state FF909 told me about them.

That would be Leroy Fitch, but he's pretty much gotten out of the repair business. He cut back to nearly nothing and went to work in another industry. In theory, he still does occasional work for his faithful old customers (like me), but he's about four years behind. I know that because he's had my Vox Continental for four years. I guess I need to give him a call soon.

Pete Cage for older tube amps has no peer.

Paul/FF909

That would be Leroy Fitch, but he's pretty much gotten out of the repair business. He cut back to nearly nothing and went to work in another industry. In theory, he still does occasional work for his faithful old customers (like me), but he's about four years behind. I know that because he's had my Vox Continental for four years. I guess I need to give him a call soon.

Pete Cage for older tube amps has no peer.

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

I'm (sort of) lookin for clean plastic key Vox Con -- even tho the wood key ones are thought of as more desirable, I like the feel of the plastic key ones better.

Jim Walton in Phila works on solid state but is becoming incrasingly down on cheap, nearly dispoable solid state junk that ain't worth fixing!

I have nothing to add regarding amp repair recommendations but it's nice to see fellow Balto-DC area folks here like Matt and DCBirdMan. Of course, I've had the great pleasure of knowing Bob and Paul for years now via Round Ups. I'm up in Walkersville, just outside of Frederick.

I'm (sort of) lookin for clean plastic key Vox Con -- even tho the wood key ones are thought of as more desirable, I like the feel of the plastic key ones better.

Jim Walton in Phila works on solid state but is becoming incrasingly down on cheap, nearly dispoable solid state junk that ain't worth fixing!

– DCBirdMan

Hey, Bob,

If Leroy ever gets my Connie back to me, we can talk.

Paul/FF909

Well I have a wood key US one, needs everything. I just like em clean looking not beat, and very few like that.

– DCBirdMan

Yeah, and anything Mesa.

Matt- Did you ever get your amp serviced?

Paul and MD/ DC guys- Are you familiar with Tommy Lepson? I'm pretty sure he used to do amp repair, but not sure he still does.
What a great singer and keyboard player!! I got to hang out with Tommy a few times, including going to a local music awards show, many years ago through a mutual friend.

Sorry to sidetrack this thread.. Here's a clip of Tommy and his band (who is the guitarist?! Some great playing!), for those reading that aren't familiar with him:

TALENTED techs are dying off, or simply giving it up (musicians are notoriously cheap and unreliable clients). Younger techs don't know the nuances of old Tweeds or the quirks JMI Voxes or the theory behind why tube amps behave the way they do. If you don't already know about flaws in various designs (tweed disease, parasitic oscillations, ground issues), you can chase your tail for weeks looking for ghosts in the machine. I stopped building and do few repairs these days because expectations became too great for what people were willing to pay. "Remember that tube amp you worked on for me five years ago? It blew up, so it must be something you did. I want it fixed for free, and I need it done by tomorrow."

@JBGretschGuy: Well, that’s happening in the power sports industry too. Disposable amps is the answer I guess.....

@Metman: Everything’s working...I was trying to remember a specific guy that Paul sent me too a few years back, because he was willing to work on PCB amps as well as ‘vintage style’ amps, and I have a couple of Peavey classic series amps. I lost the contact number....It seems there’s a guy in his space called “High Voltage”, who claims to be able to work on the PCB stuff. But who knows.

Matt, that’s why I learned to do 100% of the work on my two-stroke SeaDoos. With the Peavey Classics, they tend to get dirty FX loop jacks and start cutting out, even if you never use the loop. Easy fix. When solder joints go bad, they are a real pain to get apart.

Register Sign in to join the conversation