Other Amps

Custom Vibrolux Reverb = “YAYYY!!!” + “GRRRR!!!”

WOW!!!

I can't thank you all enough for taking the time and posting all the great stuff!

You make me wish I played well enough to deserve both the amp and all of your kindness.

Resurrecting this thread, as I had a chance at a shootout...

Really great detail from others in this thread - fun to read...

I've had the 63 Vibroverb for several years and really liked it... Recorded with it, gigged with it... Unique compared to other Fenders. Lately I've been leaning more blackface, a Gretch through my Deluxe seems crisper and with a more well rounded tone, as compared to the Vibroverb. Problem is the 22 watts generally don't cut it live for me - Vibroverb power works perfect.

So last night I brought the Vibroverb to a gig, but was surprised to find a Custom Vibrolux on the backline - you don't see that too often - so the perfect opportunity to try it out. I had played one once before at a GC, and didn't think too highly of it - it was brief and at low volume, but it seemed to not hold a candle to the Vibroverb.

Well, I was wrong. You don't really know an amp until you are on stage at volume - and it was great. I would describe it as a 59 Bassman meets Blackface. It had the 10s and the (air quotes) "touch sensitivity" reminiscent of the Bassman - but the bright, yet thick and punchy, character of a Blackface. It cut through but still retained a 3D character.

Today I wanted to contrast it while the sounds were fresh from the gig - so plugged the same guitar into the Vibroverb. It sounded quite good, of course... But I have to say I preferred the Custom Vibrolux. It had better clarity and better highs, thick but not muddy - and gave me the things I like about a Deluxe - but a higher volume.

So I guess I had under appreciated the Custom Vibrolux before. Who knows, I may even swap out the Vibroverb for one...

That mint, one owner '71 VR I picked up last summer is dead stock and doesn't hum or act up at all. It's solid as a rock and just does what it's suppose to and sure does it well.

Good luck on fixing that dam hum. I'm sure you'll report back when the problem is found and cured.

JPK,

Good to read your comments.

I think my best one was that once you hit a note, all the hissin' and bitchin' are moot points. The amp has nice tone and response.

It is what it is, a stage amp...

JPK,

Just to be clear, are you talking about the new silver face 68 Custom Vibrbrolux Reverb, or the now-discontinued Blackface (there were also blonde ones) Custom vibrolux Reverb ?

Strange little amps, those CVR's. I've played some where they were in the provided backline. In a small club, they can be a lot of fun, on bigger stage though, it's like you're playing a farty fuzzbox through tired saggy speakers.

A proper (old) blackface or silverface Vibrolux is a great amp though, I'd love to have one of those!

I have the prior version that was discontinued last year in lieu of the newer 68 Silverface.

Somebody here on the GDP has bought one of the newer ones...there should be a thread on that one in the Other Amps section. I haven't even seen a new one yet, just read folks comments here and on Fender Forum...

So, which one did you play?

Well howdy again!

Wayulp...

The hum of which we've been speaking turned out to be two wires just an intermittent skoash too close together. That possibility was removed and she's now hum-free. (In fact after all the torturous headscratchin', my tech bud dubbed her, "Bogart" because now she's "Humpfrey"...get it?..."Hum-free?"...get it?...[ahem] )

Anyway, yeah, the mods DID cut the hiss by about 75% along with increasing headroom, which I quite like. A lot of the thick-ish chords that I like to use generally sound godawful if there's much dirt at all in the sonic picture.

And funny, dunno if it's just in my head but my Telly's seem to sparkle more now and the Les Pauls (Special w/ p-90's and Studio w/ bumhuckers) used to sound a bit muddy compared to now, 'specially the Studio.

Can't wait to get my 5120 fitted out and back in the world to see how it and the CVR get along. The old-school Pro Jet is still all the warm creaminess that she ever was. The Fender amp's coloring ices that cake. ( If you ever want a gitfiddle that can serve a purpose in a mix that's similar to an electric piano but still "stringy" while recording bed tracks, she's the one.)

So the CVR's been discontinued? Did I read that correctly?

Once again, I sure appreciate everybody's taking the time to impart your experience and knowledge through this li'l journey thru stuff.

So the CVR's been discontinued? Did I read that correctly? -- tubwompus

I haven't read that or heard that from any credible source, Sammy. Where did you hear/read that?

So the CVR's been discontinued? Did I read that correctly? -- tubwompus

I haven't read that or heard that from any credible source, Sammy. Where did you hear/read that?

– Ric12string

Bob, I thought I read it further back in this very thread.

It is indeed mothballed. It no longer shows up on Fender's website, and it seems there was an article announcing it being discontinued. There are probably still several out in the world in both used and NOS stock I bet. Glad the mods worked out for you! I love my AC15 now, but man, I sure wish I had that amp still. New tubes and speakers are just about a necessity in them, but there is great live tone there for sure. I would like to check out the new one. My understanding is that basically all the 68 customs except the Princetons have very similar voicings, just power differences. Of course, with different power tube complements and speaker options, there will inherently be tone differences.

Well, from what I understand, the new 68 version is basically just the '96 CVR with the famous "Moyer Mods", and celestion speakers. Oh and I guess the added baseman-voiced channel.

JPK,

Good to read your comments.

I think my best one was that once you hit a note, all the hissin' and bitchin' are moot points. The amp has nice tone and response.

It is what it is, a stage amp...

– Twangmeisternyc

Twangmeister, the blackface/white-knobbed "custom"... It inspired me to sell my 63 Vibroverb reissue the other day, so now I am looking for the right deal on the "Custom" Vibrolux. I really liked how it gave Blackface breakup - at a good stage volume - and if you needed more volume you had that, too.

You are right about stage amps - there's tons of boutiques and modded beasts out there. The beauty of a stage amp like this that does what it is supposed to - simple and straight - is worth lot to me.

That would be the CVR.

It's not for everybody, ...what I think causes the grief is that it is not a great bedroom amp, and you would never record with it unless "live show".

I found the other thread about the 68 Custom Vibrolux...look for it in the Other Amp section.

I should make clear the CVR "headroom", while lower by design compared to other paired 6L6 amps, still gets a lot louder than a Deluxe with 6V6 before you get into the "touch sensitive" saturation zone. The preamp resistor (R23 to 82k) and the 5751 changes in my front end just lets you dial in with a little more ease...and you feel better about being "clean" and able to get past 4 on the volume knob...LOL!

Mine is now about 7 when you get there...it's mental!

Walter is right, too. Been a long time, but if you were to try and keep up with a lot of other stage volume, or fill too large a room/outdoors, the "stock" model would be so saturated above 7 it would become farty and saggy. Max decibels is well before that, the amp is just supersaturating despite your brain thinking this one goes to 11 for that last bit of volume.

No one has yet made a comparison video of a CVR vs 68CVR..... I'm a little surprised.

Altho, with the 68CVR sounding like this, I'm not sure I'm gassing for the CVR anymore?

Register Sign in to join the conversation