Other Amps

Creating the mythical Fender 2 x 10 Super Reverb (pics)

Why? I was tired of moving around a full size Twin Reverb and Super Reverb 4 x 10. My Vibrolux was not staying clean for medium size gigs.

So, I took one of my Super Reverb 4x10 and created an enclosure that in the 1950s would have been called a "Super Amp". --supposedly the first twin amp. A very manageable size!
The speaker are custom WHS ceramic 10" @4ohms for a 2 ohm load. Sounds like a smaller Twin or a larger Vibrolux!

Raw with no Tolex or grill

All finger joint Poplar wood. The edge radius in this pic is not the final 1/2 radius----I had to go get a new cutter bit to do that but was too anxious to take photo. It got the proper 1/2 radius before covering with Tolex.

size comparison: Twin, my mini Super, Vibrolux

If you kept the original OT, and put two big-magnet ceramic speakers in it, is it really that much lighter?

Well, it's not just the weight, it's also the size... a 4x10 a bit of a PITA.

I love 4x10s, but at a certain age you only want one if someone else is going to move it for you LOL.

That's why I like 1x12s and 2x10s, even 1x12s with bigger cabs like the Playboy. It's also why the 1x12 6G6-B for sale on the forum was so interesting to me.

Yes, you can always go piggyback+cabinet, that's cool too. But there's just something about a combo... my next amp will likely be a Custom Vibrolux (the one from '96 that is now discontinued). Altho... my life won't be complete until I own a Vibro-King, at least for a little while...

If you kept the original OT, and put two big-magnet ceramic speakers in it, is it really that much lighter?

– WB

56 lbs to be exact. It's less weight than the Twin Reverb.........It is smaller, but not much lighter than the Super because the speakers are rated at 75W each. Speaker selection was pretty difficult with a 2 ohm load. It would have been lighter if I had braved using (2) 25w rated speakers in a 45w amp.
I preferred the larger speaker wattage, but now that I have made one, I have a plan to shave off 10 lbs ----or more. Just using plywood and smaller capacity speakers would do that!

Register Sign in to join the conversation