Other Amps

Cowboy amp builds

One more time! Another cowboy amp, this one in a figured oak cab. I'm planning on starting with a 6156 circuit, replacing the tremolo with a reverb circuit and using Jupiter caps. I had Weber make me a couple 10" speakers just for these amps. Should have more clean, warm headroom than the first cowboys.

WoW!!! Oak cap, isn't it too heavy and too stiff for good warm sound? Good idea with the Spcial Webers.

Cool! Reverb hey? Will that be the same circuit style as in the valco amps? And.....does this one include the leather edging. Using the guitar strap was genius. We were all thinking how the hell did he do that but you kindly revealed the secret

Cool! Reverb hey? Will that be the same circuit style as in the valco amps? And.....does this one include the leather edging. Using the guitar strap was genius. We were all thinking how the hell did he do that but you kindly revealed the secret

Nice man, I'm not into western/cowboys things but this is quality work!

I've planed the oak down to 1/2". Not too heavy, hopefully won't sound/feel too stiff. I've done this before with 5F2a circuits and they sound great.

Planning on some combination of wood and leather. Still have a few guitar straps left from last time.

New prototype control panel.

That looks great. How are you making (printing) the control panels?

I make the control panels using two layer plastic and engrave the details with a computer driven laser. Done for me by a local. If I were gonna make a production run of a specific amp, I would have them screen printed. These are one-offs I'm goofing around with.

WOW!!! Looks nice.

Those are just killer builds !! in some pics i see a rockwell tool...pray tell what is it ?

The Rockwell branded machine behind the pine cabinet is a 6" belt sander. I've spent half a lifetime acquiring old USA made machines......some in better shape than others. I'm a lucky guy to have such a shop at my disposal.

How's the balance on these amps with all the transformer weight and speaker weight on the starboard side? I'd like to do something similar, but I might aim the speaker cutout to the left to keep things balanced.

Even with the offset cutout, the speaker remains pretty centered. I've not noticed any uneven weight distribution, to the port or starboard.

Well there you go. I guess it's just so visually asymmetrical once it's all covered up it tricked my brain into thinking the speaker would be listing to the right

The Rockwell branded machine behind the pine cabinet is a 6" belt sander. I've spent half a lifetime acquiring old USA made machines......some in better shape than others. I'm a lucky guy to have such a shop at my disposal.

– Powdog

ah, very nice. I know its quite a hobby for some to rebuild old Iron :)

Yea, I used to tear the machines down, replace all the worn parts then repaint and reassemble them. Nowadays I just replace the worn parts and tune them up. This is my latest machine. A 50's 10" Delta Homecraft band saw. Little brother to the 14" saw, it's all cast iron and steel. So much better than anything new from overseas. Runs with absolutely no vibration. I upgraded to a bearing guide. Even came with the retirement light!

I love this stream, those amps and old tools. That's the only useful thing I can add. Oh, and I'd love to have one sitting in my home . . . when I win the lottery I seldom play.

I was planning on this being a new build but looks like it just became a rat rod junkyard amp. Picked up this 60's Thomas organ monoblock amp for chump change. Complete with RCA 6973 power and preamp tubes. The output transformer is twice the size of similar Valco 6973 amps. I'm feeling lots of headroom with this one.

sadly I sold off my good woodworking tools, and for too cheap. for reasons that...oh well... never good enough reasons. maybe one day I will re-up my game, lol. have a few things left, bandsaw is one. keep on keeping on powdog!

Dado cut to accept leather belt.

I hope never to be in the position where I have to sell off my shop. Or move, for that matter. This is the view out the south side of my shop.

All the snow melted that quick?

I'm only at 1500 ft elevation here. Rarely get snow that sticks for more than a few days. Now.....Ric12string up in Truckee, he got hammered. Was in Reno a few weeks ago and there is still tons of snow over the top of the Sierras.

Register Sign in to join the conversation