Other Amps

Cowboy amp builds

Starting a short run of Gretsch-style cowboy amps. Another collaboration with Vince. The pine boxes are ready and the pile-o-parts are on the solder bench.

I can't wait to see what Vince comes up with.

Love to see the progression of these two

Very cool! Look forward to seeing how these turn out!

Cool! I'll be following this thread!

I'd love to see a combo like this with a mirror image extension cab.

Some of the coolest looking cabs ever.

Aluminum chassis prior to drilling.

i thought same ..those would make some nice extension cabs!!

such nice clean work...cool.."high noon!" .. hah

cheers

I actually made a third cabinet that's the same as the other two. Haven't cut the front yet. Could make a extension cab.

The plan is to make two amps, one white and one black. Same general circuit, but one will have octal preamps and 6V6 outputs, while the other will feature noval pre's and 6973 outputs.

pd-while the other will feature noval pre's and 6973 outputs.

sounds supro, er super!

cheers

Going with epoxy turret board construction. Just plain makes it easier than the rats nest approach, keeps the circuit logical for me.

HIGH NOON! Good guys, bad guys, one in white and one in black! I think a blow by blow account of this construction is going to be a blast. I know some of us understand more than others about what goes on inside an amp so it'll be good to hear from the wise ones and the kids at the back with the pointy hats (me!)

Vince, the guys with the pointy hats at the back of the room (which would include me as well) are supposed to be keeping quiet while the adults in the room speak.

I like the idea of making an amp that can use 6973 tubes but they are expensive if you use NOS and the Electro Harmonix 6973 tubes aren't very good sounding. I think a better approach would be to make all these amps 6V6 compatible and just offer these adapters if the person wanted to use 6973. Get the option to use either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc...

They only cost $10 each. There are also adapters for octal preamp tubes to 9-pin.

Or.....you could do the "one wire mod" that Terry Dobbs showed me that will allow you to run either 6973, 6CZ5 or 6EM5 tubes interchangeably. The latter two can't take the high voltage that the 6973 can, but none of these Valcos run B+ higher than 350. They sound awesome and are a lot cheaper than the 6973's. Biased a little cooler they all work great in the same amp.

Have you tried the EH 6973's? Just curious to know if they are that nasty. Plus I guess they must be the tubes in the new Supros....that never gets mentioned when the tone hounds get on their Jimmy Page holy grail trip. Powdogs plan sounds cool though and provides good alternatives

yeah the new supro amps use the eh 6973's in three of their models!...the tubes do have mixed reviews online..shame as the 6973 is a classic americana tube..used in supro's, valco's and was used in many many old jukebox's

here's the eh 6973 spec sheet

http://www.dougstubes.com/6...

cheers

Good alternatives on a small scale, but for mass production like the new Supro I really don't see an alternative to the EH tubes. You would need a consistent, reliable and affordable supply of tubes to build on that scale. My amps are pretty much "one-offs", custom builds. I don't go thru a lot of these tubes. The new EH tubes don't sound terrible, they just don't sound like a NOS RCA. I mean, what does?

Yes, the tech stuff abut the tubes is all Greek to me, but it's good to try and learn something...I was just being facetious about the Supro Jimmy Page worshippers vs. the tube geeks that don't rate the EH 6973's. In all the articles and reviews about the new models, no one discusses the tubes much.

And in many ways, that's what's cool about Powdogs amps. It's a rare chance to get the real thing with the RCA tubes or equivalents.

Have you tried the EH 6973's? Just curious to know if they are that nasty. Plus I guess they must be the tubes in the new Supros....that never gets mentioned when the tone hounds get on their Jimmy Page holy grail trip. Powdogs plan sounds cool though and provides good alternatives

– Vince_Ray

They sound kind of dull. They can take higher voltages and operate fine....but they have a sort of sterile sound to them. I don't know if EH discovered a batch of old tubes that meet the specs of 6973 or if these are newly designed in Russia for audio. They are definitely built way different than an old American 6973. I think you can get around their shortcomings by voicing/modding an amp brighter to a degree...and in some amps they can sound o.k.

I have a few Magnatone amps that can only use 6973 tubes and I've found it a chore to find NOS 6973 tubes. Hence my post. An amp wired for 6973 can be a headache, whereas an amp wired for 6V6 can easily use both with a simple $10 adapter.

I notice the modern Magnatones are wired for 6V6 instead of 6973 and I'm pretty sure that's why. There are lots of nice 6V6 tubes out there, modern and vintage. I think an amp wired just for 6973 is limited.

Circuit board wiring progress.

Register Sign in to join the conversation